History leading up to my "happiness" thread

by Junction-Guy 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

John Doe, it seems that of late you have been making some negative comments towards those that are in a bind. Unless you know someone personally, then why not give them the benefit of the doubt.

I treat people as I would like to be treated. I treat them with respect. I give them the benefit of the doubt until that time that I can meet them in person and know the full story.

I reach out to those whose beliefs and politics are far different than mine. I offer the hand of friendship, etc etc etc.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Let me get this straight -

So therefore you disregard everyone else who told you to be happy because of one ex-jw?

well I hope the witnesses (potential ex-jw's) you are trying to get out, are not as close-minded as that

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I hear some find happiness through pepper spray and faux funerals.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I reach out to those whose beliefs and politics are far different than mine. I offer the hand of friendship, etc etc etc.

By telling them you hope they lose their careers? By belittling advice they've given in good faith based upon some lessons learned under severe hardship? By refusing to consider their point of view? Is this how you offer the hand of friendship and reach out to those with different beliefs?

That's not what you want. What you seem to be wanting is for someone to be a codependant with you in your quest for misery in an attempt to somehow look bad for the Watchtower. When someone tries to help you get out of your quagmire, you say they have no empathy or they can't possibly know how you feel or that they've never had things hard or that they've taken advantage of their friends and family!

You sir, are invoking my ire. You've got to pull your head out of your ass and make some positive changes, and me molly coddling you is not going to help you any. You've got a lot of nerve fella.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for explaining JG.

If someone uses a cliche to sum things up, I don't take it personally.

There is always some opposite cliche expression that could be used.
    If the person says, "Happiness is the best revenge," I don't assume they
    mean that personal happiness comes ahead of family, friends, anyone.
    They might mean that, but that would come to me from knowledge.

If someone says, "Let go" or "Lighten up," I just assume they mean well
    and don't understand the issues involved. Not everyone can let go or
    lighten up after being put through a horrible circumstance.

I do it. You will do it. Humans think we have to have an answer for
    whatever we hear. If someone tells us things, we want to say something
    wise, profound, caring, or just wise. We stumble to say the right thing and
    say the wrong thing, sometimes.

So, my advice is to "lighten up, let go, don't take it personally" when
    someone gives their little free advice. Remember, it's only worth what
    you paid for it, or maybe less.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No I dont disregard everyone who has posted, but I disregard those who have done this to me in the past and continue doing these things to their families.

I have only mentioned 2 instances, there are many more I could think of.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

If you can let go a bit of "your" story and look instead at "our" story you may begin to feel better.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

John,

It's not so much what you say as how you say it... you do come off as a bit haughty in your 'advice' sometimes.

My 2cents.

Jean

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

JunctionGuy I honestly don't see the big deal people are making about this post, then again I haven't read the past posts so maybe I am a bit lost. I just wanted to bring one thing up...

JunctionGuy- Point is that while alot of people may say that "happiness is the best revenge" Their happiness came at great cost to those who loved them.

Isn't this the whole point of revenge that their happiness has come at great cost to the person they despise? Perhaps this man hated his wife and now she is tormenting because he is very happy. Also this man's happiness has caused you to be upset, so hasn't he in turn gotten revenge on you with this happiness? I could be completely wrong, just seems perhaps he was correct.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thank you Jeannie. Nvrgnbck--- I know many of your stories as I have been reading this board for years. I know both sides of the coin in many situations, I reach out to help those who have been hurt. Im not selfish in this endeavor, I can feel empathy towards others who have been kicked to the curb. Its not all just about me, by any means.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit