History leading up to my "happiness" thread

by Junction-Guy 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

My marriage wasnt the best either, we both had our flaws. I could have many times tried to seek revenge on Amanda for perceived wrongs, but 2 wrongs dont make a right.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Personal Happiness at all cost = selfishness

Activism at all cost = selfishness

Personal contentment (which leads to happiness) is valued and important. However if that is done at the expense of innocents such as the children mentioned in your story, then that particular pursuit of happiness is selfish and will eventually work against one's own happiness. Kind of a Karma thing.

Activism overly pursued without thought of consequence or emotional damage to innocents is also selfish and will work cross purposes to the intent.

In my opinion, personal contentment is directly proportionate to how caring for others (or at least the desire to) is manifest. I do believe that my being happy and successful is the best argumentation to the JW's. I have returned to the vomit yet I am happy. This may cause and has caused the JW mind to struggle with the disconnect. Not a JW yet still happy.

I do what I can to support people in their decision making process. That has included being a friend to someone while they were df'ed and working towards reinstatement. I knew full well the relationship would end once they went back, but that person needed some social connection while being cut off. I believe it is just one more person who has to honestly admit there are good people in this world that aren't JW's. I hope eventually that seed will germinate but if not, I am happy that I provided support. Her going back, didn't rob me of the joy.

Activism can be a great catharsis for dealing with the initial anger felt after a great loss (eg MADD) but you'll find more is needed in order to find your center (grounding) and work towards creating a life after the loss wherein you can build that contentment and happiness.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Good point Uzzah

• changeling
    changeling

Ok, now you've done it buster. You have implied that we have achieved our happiness at the expense of others. How dare you!

What kind of miserable little worm are you to say such a thing!

I am a happy person despite the fact that my zealot, missionary wanna be parents stole my childhood. I am a happy person despite the fact that I suffer from bipolar disorder.

I have earned my positive state of mind through hard work.

You seem to take some perverse pleasure in wanting to destroy that. You want us all to join your pitty party. You want us to wear our witness wounds as jewelry on our lapels and to warm ourselves under a blanket of misery.

When we refuse to see things through your sad, warped looking glass you belittle and attack us. And then, you have the nerve to say we ignore you and don't reach out to you!

You want to live in the past and cling to some bad examples as proof that positive thinking is a bad thing. Go right ahead, you have my blessing.

Here's another "cliche": "Misery loves company". Guess what? You'll get none from me.

changeling

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I just messed up my first call at work today. I am not happy.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It'll get better! Breathe.... relax.... You'll get the hang of it in no time at all!

Hey, did they give you enough training?

Jeannie

• changeling
    changeling

Uzzah: I have a lot of respect for you. I think your comments here show you have not been reading the other threads on this topic.

Nobody has said anything about being happy at the expense of others exept JG. That is soooo not what I and the other posters were saying.

changeling

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Flying High:

But just think about all the successful calls just waiting for you ....

• Sawyer
    Sawyer

I could have many times tried to seek revenge ...

---------------------------------

And you didn't, because that doesn't fit your code of honor. That is something for you to be 'happy' about when you hit the pillow at night. You are content with that value in your life...that you didn't act out of revenge.

As far as your example people go...is the cheater, abuser really happy with himself when he goes to bed at night? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't but says that he is. Some people have no empathy or concept of what empathy truly is. You have an overabundance of empathy. But the bottom line is that his version of happiness isn't yours.

I learned long ago that if I spend all my time worried about the injustices in the world, I will have time left for nothing else. Pick your battles carefully, because you won't have time to battle everything.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You seem to confuse people's personal lives for your emotional and philosophical playground, JG.

What, pray tell, does other people's divorces have to do with picketing Kingdom Halls?

Also, you seem to be alluding to something as if it is established, "everybody knows this" fact: that picketing and activism can only be done by people who refuse to take responsibility for their own happiness. Sorry, but I just don't see why that should be assumed.

I'm firmly in the "happiness is the best revenge" camp, and I could be convinced to join in activism; I've even had some ideas for activism myself. My criteria for activism to be appealing to me is that it should be A)something I believe has the potential to be effective in making witnesses think critically about their own beliefs, and B) will attract more people than it repels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit