Lefties shocked! Sign of the End?

by JeffT 54 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I may be about to reconsider my position on nationalized health care. If the *$#@*&%$ insurance companies are going to be as obnoxious as the government, what's the point of private industry? At least governments can be overthrown.

• 5go
    5go

My point exactly I canceled my health insurance do to my job loss recently. Though I doubt I would of kept any way it spiked $20 a month despite the fact I hadn't used it once.

The only reason it went up was because all of the insurance companies are losing their shirts in the stock markets this year.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The whole country (left, center and right) needs to be more concerned about health care, as well as education and infrastructure. We should concentrate on the business of making our nation strong, but the current administration has the nation's attention diverted to a draining war effort. Health care shouldn't be a conservative vs. liberal argument, it should be a human concern, a concern for a country suffering with a backward system.

I'm moderate politically, and have been convinced for the last several years that leaving medical care in the hands of the insurance industry is the wrong answer. Too many people are unserved or underserved, and instead of "health care" we have "sick care". Instead of proactive preventive medicine, we have last-ditch ER visits. It's almost like you have to be wealthy to get proper health care in this country and that isn't right. Do you need to be wealthy to get a secondary education, or to get fire protection, or to get social security? Does a police officer check to see if you have "coverage" before offering you assistance?

If health care were more widely available here (as it is in many other nations), there'd be a net savings due to less illness, and a more productive populace (less time lost due to illness).

The issue needs to be more seriously considered. I'm afraid the lobbyists for the HMO's and the insurance companies have bought enough influence in Washington, DC to keep the status quo going for a while.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    The only reason it went up was because all of the insurance companies are losing their shirts in the stock markets this year.

Then they need to give it to me.

They would be lowering your premium by $40.00

Warlock

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

It's common knowledge that Canada has had public health care for decades and it has seemed to have worked out well, with an occasional snag and problem of course.

It's nice thing to know that everyone is covered, young or old, rich or poor.

The baby boom generation is getting close to retirement in the next few years and this will be greatest test on how well health care will survive and perform

It is reassuring to know that when we do get up in years that there will be some kind of health care to look after us.

I hear the Democrats which will probably take over Washington in the next election, will try and pursue a national health care program, it might be a good idea

• 5go
    5go
    The whole country (left, center and right) needs to be more concerned about health care, as well as education and infrastructure.

Education is second thing that needs to be fixed. Jr college should be free to those willing to go. I don't think it should be manditory. If it was free then I might of been employed already because I would of went and taken any course my future employer might think I would need. I can't currnetly do to past student loans from a private trade school that turned to be a waist of time.

Though I think I just revealed the lobby might have problem with free JC idea.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

5go:

Jr college should be free to those willing to go.

By which you mean, it should be paid for by those who don't use it.

I don't think it should be manditory. If it was free then I might of been employed already because I would of went and taken any course my future employer might think I would need. I can't currnetly do to past student loans from a private trade school that turned to be a waist of time.

I'm assuming you got a free education up to high school and look how that turned out. Don't colleges in the US (even junior ones) have minimum entry requirements?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The way I see it National health care is just a way to ensure that hospital and doctors get more money.

If you have money your health care wont be for free. And if you dont have money your health care will be slow and substandard.

If you dont have enough money they will bankrupt you.

It would be nice if we didnt have to be responsible for ourselves and our health, but its not that way.

If we were never jw's we might be better prepared to provide health care for ourselves.

I think a good number of people were witnesses because they didnt want to think or be responsible for themselves and their lives.

• JeffT
    JeffT

What's annoying is that we HAVE insurance supposedly. We spent all day yesterday fighting issues with what should be a simple problem (Debbie's broken leg). I should be able to buy health insurance the same way I buy car insurance. Get what I need from the company that seems to be the best fit to me. And if they annoy me I can take my business elsewhere.

• 5go
    5go
    By which you mean, it should be paid for by those who don't use it.

Never use that argument again please! It makes you look dumb. Why? I never once used my car insurance in the last three years by your argumant I should cancel it. I never once used my health insurance when I had it that means I shouldn't try to get more.

I should have to pay for the Interstate Hiway near your town either I will never use it either or that matter anything related to the US government short of the Hiways, US postal, EPA OSHA, NOAA, FCC, FAA, DOJ, and DOT. I don't need the military hell it's costing me money get rid of it. The DOJ can handle the terrorist like they should.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit