The ability to let go... Do Jws/ex-JWs have a problem with this?

by restrangled 19 Replies latest jw friends

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

I think everyone will agree that not all of us have a problem in the area of letting go and not obsessing. But I do think JWs - and by extension, ex-JWs - have a greater tendency to have issues with these things. We were taught to constantly focus on our flaws and to work on them by the WT elite. Or else. Just think back to the literature and you'll see what I mean.

"Are you doing this to make Jehovah happy? I asked you a question, maggot. SO ARE YOU??? Well why not?! ::Sigh:: Why do you suck so much? Maybe you should try not sucking as a human being. Then maybe Jehovah won't cry himself to sleep every night watching over your ungrateful a**! I so can't wait for Armageddon so I won't have to look at you any more. You disgust me. Hey, don't look at me like that! ..."
    "Well then, you aren't doing that are you? What the--!!! Do you want to live or do you want Jesus to shoot you in the face at Armageddon, man?!? What is your deal?! Are you, like, weird or something? Do you have a deathwish?? Don't you realize you're playing with fire here! This is Jesus, man! JESUS! He knows everything, man. Everything! He knows if you've been good or bad! Just like Santa Clause! I don't want to be near you when Jesus points that revolver. No sir. Get away from me! I SAID GET AWAY! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

We're also warned to look out for flaws in others. Hey, they could be evil. Ya never know. The magazines say it's contagious. The evil I mean. Better to be safe than sorry. Evil can be harder to wash out than protein and ya know it's out to get ya. Hey! There's some evil over there! AHHHH! It touched my leg! It touched my leg! It buuuuuuurrrrns!

Does this sound healthy to you?

IsaacJ

• reneef
    reneef

I posted about a good book I read the other day on here somewhere. It was a powerful story of forgiveness. I will look for it. It was helpful to me.

• orbison11
    orbison11

i am having a very hard time letting go,,,,its been 9 years,,sheesh

orb

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Letting go is just symtomatic with being human , it's the single largest hinderence to healing ,it's a close cousin to selfishness and arrogance, I suffer from it less than I used to ,but still ,some days are better than others.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Have you found inner peace yet or are you still aggravated and/or tortured on a daily basis?

I can easily let go of the problems on this board recently. I can let go when posters
    slip out a hateful remark now and again.

I cannot let go of my bitterness with the WTS. They took me when I was at my lowest
    point and made me into a drone for their collective. All that mattered was selling those
    damned magazines and staying active in the cult.

I think I could let go if my wife ever leaves. Even if my mother stays, I can just walk away.
    I would be happy. Until then, there's a measure of happiness, but a daily reminder of
    what the collective has done is by my side.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I think all of us were taught to focus in on our faults and inadequacies. When we could no longer tolerate that ...we were to watch for and report on the same we could see in others. The entire program was based on our own guilt or precieved guilt of others.

I don't think it has changed.

The new January 2008 watchtower contintues the guilt factor to an intense degree when you look at the titles. They have acutally included "Service meeting" (Not enough preaching) info into the sunday meeting.

It is a damaging cycle that is hard to get free of.

Funny the focus was never getting to Know God or Christ and feeling loved by them...infact, you never would be worthy of their approval according the GB....and thats how I grew up.

Just a carrot haning in front of a mule.....thats all we ever were.

SORRY....OBSESSING HERE AS I SUGGESTED TO BEGIN WITH.

R.

r.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

If you hang onto the past you're not living in the present, such a waste too. What's done is done there is a time to grieve over it but that should be brief and you should get on with life imho.

A healthy mind lives in the present.

• restrangled
    restrangled

BikerChic...You are on target!

• James Free
    James Free

I let go of the JW religion when I read Crisis of Conscience and all my opinions/observations came together. But I am still on this forum and I still have a curiosity for what is happening in JW land. I am not sure if that is healthy or not. I don't think any ex-JW who is a regular here has really let go - maybe from the religion, but not from the pain or the experience itself.

I used to save all the old books, visit bookshops etc over the years. I basically had them all, and it has taken me 3 years to get to the point of burning them all. I always said I would sell them on Ebay, but never got around to it - now the prices are so low it's not worth it.

The WT stole 30 years of my life and caused a lot of suffering and I will never forgive the leadership for that. But I don't get angry with the rank and file - after all, they are victims too.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Yes, how about you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit