Question (s) from the newbie

by bite me 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

BM:

Yes, they do read the entire Bible, but in this (exact) manner: Let`s start at the beginning, with Genesis: The book of Genesis is being read, Adam and Eve in the garden, the serpent tempting Eve etc. Then, instead of just reading that story (or any other story, such as Noahs), the "story" being read is read in the context of their entire belief system, and is read even "symbolically" in relation to the rest of the Jehovahs Witnesses doctrines. The garden of Eden is the earthly paradise that is to be restored (after Armageddon) - when mankind (JWs, that is...) have proven themselves to God, and rejected the devil that Adam and Eve let themselves be fooled by. I bet many JWs even picture (in their minds) how they will walk thru the garden-gate guarded by angels, that Adam and Eve had been forced to walk out of. And the story goes on: The ark of Noah is almost symbolic of the organisation (the Watchtower and the JWs) - and so - while a "book" is being studied (or rather a chapter of a book, really) - the audiences attention is drawn to other parts of the Bible too, passages in other books (books that in reality has nothing to do with the book being studied). In short: Every story/chapter/book is read with the overall doctrines of the JWs in mind - and so, the interpretation of each particular story/chapter/book - is done in light of the overall doctrines.

Of course, this leads to a lot of BS. The Bible was never supposed to be read that way in the first place.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

so what's the right way to pronounce Habakuk? I've heard it a couple of different ways. Not that it matters - it's a name I'm not likely to use.

• Carmel
    Carmel

.....use, or misuse?

• fresia
    fresia

hello and welcome to the forum.

JW's do read the bible through the ministry school, they are encouraged to do personal bible study and meditate and apply God's word in their lives. On the whole JW's are dedicated to doing the preaching work as Jesus instructed, they do try and be better parents and citizens. All in all the majority of JW's are decent serious bible students.

However the WTS has done the dirty on them and eventually this will all catch up to them, and I have noticed over the past decade that more emphasis in talks and in the W/T literature on the GB and the society as mediator, which is wrong. They refer to the publications in times of uncertainty or understanding on certain scriptures.

As for belief in Jesus, I think that not enough emphasis on Christs charactor and his role, it is as if Christ has been replaced by the GB as mediator.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    In the course of a year, if they do their job and study for the meetings, they are supposed to go through the entire Bible.

I always was told it took 8 years to do it.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Rather than read Scripture and then extract the lesson being taught, the WTS typically first makes a statement, and then it cites a biblical reference. Often, when you look at the reference, its relevance is questionable. They (mis)use texts to support their pre-existing conclusions.

Doug

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    In the course of a year, if they do their job and study for the meetings, they are supposed to go through the entire Bible.

I always was told it took 8 years to do it.

They have slightly varied the Bible reading over the years to take between 4 and 6 years or so.
    That would be assigned chapters for the weekly readings covered at the Theocratic Ministry School.
    Very few witnesses actually read the entire Bible in a year- a supplimental suggestion started years ago.
    Very few witnesses even actually read the assigned chapters for the weekly reading.

I think the question posed is really a question of how much of the Bible do JW's REALLY use. There are
    probably no statistics tabulated, but from giving talks and reading the articles, there are definitely less than
    100 [groups of] verses that are used frequently, probably less than 40 that pop up so often that the average JW
    can recite them from memory as soon as the speaker says, "Let's turn to 2 Timothy 3:16."

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Yeah and they still pronounce habakuk wrong. (Hint : have a cook?)

..drives me crazy too 5go! Huh BAUGHK (like ball) Cook Not Huh BAAAA (like a sheep) Kuck

However, though my local professors of Judaic studies (who just happen to be Jewish) pronounce it this way, if you search online and listen to the pronunciation, many put the emphasis on the first syllable.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?habakk01.wav=Habakkuk

• bite me
    bite me

Talk about scandalous, making people pay for material. I thought church material is generally free. Atleast at my church we have never been asked for any amount of money for anything.

I'm really glad I am not part of this organization. Does anyone know or have ideas , being realistic and not mean, of how to get people out of the JW's beliefs and practices. I can imagine how hard it would be for some one who has been stuck for almost thirty years. I have a friend who is a JW and I don't know how to get them to see that what they have been taught is not exactly true. He is so convinced that he is learning the absolute truth.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Biteme,

WELCOME to the forum. Good question, looks like it has already been answered. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit