Question (s) from the newbie

by bite me 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bite me
    bite me

Hi!

Go easy on me, please, as I am new to this board. I have a question, I know chances are this has been answered in one form or another. But can anyone tell me, exactly or roughly how much of the bible JW's actually use. I heard that they never actually make it through the bible, that they repeat many, many verses over and over again without really touching base on any particular book. My thought is that I think wts is too intune to try to prove their doctrines and idea of Jesus moon walking with Michael Jackson (Just kidding).. just being silly, just like all the ideas that JW's have about who Jesus really is.

Thanks!

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

In the course of a year, if they do their job and study for the meetings, they are supposed to go through the entire Bible. And many JWs read the Bible cover to cover for themselves. So it's not like they don't use or know the entire Bible. But if and when they come across something that raises a question, the answer is always found in Watchtower literature. And Watchtower literature tends to take things out of context, and/or of course has it's own interpretation (as do all denominations). That said, JWs claim other Christians do exactly that (read only a few verses and take things out of context).

• Gopher
    Gopher

It depends on your definition of "use". They probably use more verses than mainstream Christian churches do. The public talk and WT Study is filled with verses.

If you look in their Publications Index -- there's a part where they cross-reference which verses are referred to in their literature, and most verses do at least some mention (over a 10-year time frame or longer).

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Someone did a great graph of their actual usage... I wish that I could find it... it's been driving me mad.

They extracted the citations from the Watchtower Library - very clever.

Anyway, guess which verse was the most overused verse ?

Yep... Matthew 24:14

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Hey bite me, welcome to JWD! can't answer your question, just wanted to welcome you.

nj

• bite me
    bite me

I just looked up that verse, and I see why they use it.

I've never gone on their website (should I)? I wonder if they would have verses listed that were used in their meetings. However, now that I think about it, they can post one thing on the site and say another thing at the kingdom hall. Would they?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Bite Me... Hi and welcome aboard.

There is nothing much on their site, except for some old regurgitated magazine articles and an online NWT. Up until a month or so ago, it still said something about people from 1914 being alive at armageddom (which hasn't been current doctrine since 1995) !!!

Anyway, I found the link that I was looking for - take a look, it should have what you are looking for.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/138217/1.ashx

• JK666
    JK666

Hello bite me,

Welcome to JWD!

I would say in the new "members only" study addition of the WT the most often used scripture will be Matt. 24:45-47. FDS BS.

JK

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Hello bite me welcome.The watchtower does quite a good job at trying to interpret all the bible but i have noticed that they most often will use only certain scriptures over and over and over and.... well a lot.Other scriptures that are not so easily smoothed over, erm i mean interpreted they will not use much or tell you to wait on jehovah to get a better understanding.I always found the scripture where its mentioned about knowing a man who visited the third heaven was very poorly used and the interpretation was rather pathetic.

• oompa
    oompa

OH MY GOD Biteme, do we/they use all the Bible. The devote entire months to a particular, they write entire books on just one book and slowly and painfully discect it into sylables!!! Like right now with Rev. but also, Jaems, Ezekial, Daniel.....shoot me.....oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit