When Elders go too Far...

by BigBloomerz 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Beroean & primitivegenius dont you think its possible that in one cong some elders might be into this spying lark and in another they are not? I dont think you can generalise and say just because something does or doesnt happen in your cong its the same in every cong.

after i left that cult they tried to have a witness that lived in the same apartment building look out to see if she could catch me doing anything. every time i would come home she would be looking to see if i was bringing a woman to my place.

Are you sure she just wasnt just a nosey jw? Ive known plenty! I have not come across elders organising spying but I can only speak from my own experience. Just because I havent seen it with my own eyes doesnt mean it doesnt happen and cause me not believe someone who says it does.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

well in my time i have served in 6 different congregations in 4 different states. in every single one of those congregations ive seen blatant examples of elders either directly or by proxy spying on those they deem "troublesome". ive even been asked to do some of the spying, tho i did not directly do so........ i did tell them if i saw something i would tell them. at the time i was completely brainwashed so i actually WOULD have. ive seen elders target people and go out of their way to entrap them, and ive seen these same elders ignore issues that should have been run into the ground, just for the sake of this particular congregations REPUTATION.

in the elders book of instructions (flock book) they only put general rules......... yet give the elders other information at the yearly elders meetings to WRITE IN THE BOOK, simply for the ability to deny anything and everything. its a sign of what is going on......... instead of being like jesus and ACTULLY TRYING TO HELP they just dont want to be sued. if they are gonna be sneaky and lie about one thing then EVERY other thing they do is equally likely to be false or underhanded.

the particular sister who they put to look out for me........... had health problems,,,,,,,,,, extreme ones. i didnt know she lived in the building that i did because she never left her apartment. i found out after living there for six months that she lived about 100 feet from my door. i only knew her by sight and reputation, so when i found out she lived there i NOTICED her. for the next three months or so as i was fadeing i never saw her, then when the elders started their crap with me.... just looking to point a finger.... i saw her damn near every time i came home or left.... im gonna say 80-90% of the time..... same sick woman who sat in her humidified apartment 24/7 now manages to step outside and see me most of the time. she knew when i went to work and when i came home becasue that was pretty regulated. the elders who would be missing me on saturday or on meeting nights started showing up within a 15 minute time frame of me getting off work and reaching home. there is no way they coulda known my schedule because i didnt tell my dub family it........ you would have had to have someone looking at me.

funny thing is......... i wasnt doing anything wrong except not going to their meetings. go figure

another funny thing is the number of times ive gotten ratted out by elders wives who claimed i was doing something......... and it wasnt true

got called into the back room and chewed out and read the riot act to.......... because i was accused of going in service with a young blonde sister........... by ourselves......... hint hint wink wink.

they just wanted jucie details of something that didnt happen...... told them um your mistaken............. of course i was lieing............ untill i could produce the other sister who was sitting in the back seat of the heavily tinted SUV...... who happened to be dark skinned black and to be wearing black.................... then they changed their tune....... still didnt appologise.

you get ratted out the first time........... could be a chance thing............ after the 17th time...... i woulda thought that the elders would have told her to piss off knowing that i wasnt doing what she was accuseing. lol especially since they were useing me as a MS and trying to make me start giving hour talks. i would hope that if those accusations which i generally was able to show to be trumped up or out right ficticuous would have gotten those PRIVLEDGES removed from me if they had any reason to truely suspect me.

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Thanks for sharing your experience. Like I said before ive not experienced it myself but I dont doubt it does happen.

you get ratted out the first time........... could be a chance thing............ after the 17th time...... i woulda thought that the elders would have told her to piss off knowing that i wasnt doing what she was accuseing. lol especially since they were useing me as a MS and trying to make me start giving hour talks. i would hope that if those accusations which i generally was able to show to be trumped up or out right ficticuous would have gotten those PRIVLEDGES removed from me if they had any reason to truely suspect me.

Yeah that does sound strange. I wonder wether she was ever taken in the back room for her behaviour. As a jw when you see another do something wrong and the first thought is "I must report this to an elder" I wonder what percentage of that is to see them get help and what percentage is too see them get in trouble especially if you dont like them lol.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

He could use his best effeminate voice, flirt a little, with the elders when they call him for his JC meeting -- bet they'd reschedule it for sometime.. oh.. never!

CG

• Mary
    Mary
    no Hes not bi, hes defo gay.

Sorry, this just isn't adding up. A lapped Witness who's gay has 4 kids with a woman who's still a Dub and who knows he's gay but she's upset that her gay husband is talking about sex to another woman?! I would think she should be far more concerned when he talks sex with another guy.

BEROEAN said: Elders do not go around asking people to spy on publishers. We do not interrogate publishers or "check up" on them to gather intel.

You must think we're still an naive as when we were still going to the Hall Beroean. Of course they spy on people. In their warped view, it's one of the best ways to "keep the congregation clean".

• BEROEAN
  • BEROEAN
  • BEROEAN
    BEROEAN

Mary,

Let me clarify my statement. Since my appointment (over 5 years ago), I have not asked, been asked, or heard other elders in my cong. talk about spying on publishers. In fact, at a recent Elders school it was mentioned how we are NOT a policing organization. Wrongdoing always seems to expose itself. I will agree that there's some overzealous Elders in the Org., but I also know when a person is involved in wrongdoing they become paranoid and feel they're being spied on. I mean, realistically ask youselves, why would an Elder ask a publisher who's not zealous enough to become a pioneer, ministerial servant, or elder to spy on a fellow publisher. Wouldn't the average 'Joe Blo' publisher warn the publisher in question if that were the case? Just because the 70 year old nosy publisher meddling in other people's affairs who's constantly bending an Elders ear doesn't mean they are hired by the Elders. Now, I do know of situations where a publisher has approached me about someone committing wrongdoing. I will ask if that person is sure about what they saw and if that person shows signs of doubt I will tell them that if they see the same thing again, to let me know. Now if you would call that giving approval to spying I stand guilty as charged.

• Mary
    Mary
    beroean said: Since my appointment (over 5 years ago), I have not asked, been asked, or heard other elders in my cong. talk about spying on publishers. In fact, at a recent Elders school it was mentioned how we are NOT a policing organization.

Sorry, but that is a gross misrepresentation of the facts. First of all, paranoia is rampant in the Organization; inparticular, in the Governing Body's minds. Witnesses are trained from the time they can talk, that if you know of someone in the congregation who has committed a sin (like breaking one of the hundreds of manmade rules the GB has forced upon the rank and file), then you either convince them to confess to the gestapo elders, or it's your God-given duty to squeal on them. Want some proof? Here's a few quotes from the horses' mouth:

*** w01 6/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Even if a person does not voluntarily confess his sin, he may still be moved to repentance when approached by the elders, as David was when approached by Nathan.

w97 8/15 p. 27 Why Report What Is Bad? ***

So if you learn about the serious wrongdoing of a fellow Christian, what should you do? First of all, it is important that there is valid reason to believe that serious wrongdoing has really occurred. "Do not become a witness against your fellowman without grounds," stated the wise man. "Then you would have to be foolish with your lips."—Proverbs 24:28.

You may decide to go directly to the elders. It is not wrong to do so. If the person does not report to the elders within a reasonable period of time, then you should.

w81 3/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

It is understood that when "fornication" on the part of a believing marriage mate comes to light, this should be brought to the attention of the body of elders in the congregation. (Matt. 19:9) If the guilty party does not do this, then the innocent mate would have a responsibility to report the wrongdoing in the interests of keeping Jehovah’s congregation clean.

w85 11/15 pp. 20-21 par. 15 Do Not Share in the Sins of Others ***

Therefore, after we have given the erring individual a reasonable amount of time to approach the elders about his wrongdoing, it is our responsibility before Jehovah not to be a sharer in his sin. We need to inform the responsible overseers that the person has revealed serious wrongdoing that merits their investigation.

This next one is the real killer though. Not only are you told to squeal on your fellow Christian, but you're told to do so, even if it means breaking the law (with the very real possibility that you'll get fired from your job and possibly get charged with a crime.) And for what? Because they like to police everyone to make sure the reputation of the congregation is a-okay:

w879/1p.13"ATimetoSpeak"—When?***

Hence, there may be times when a Christian is obligated to bring a matter to the attention of the elders. True, it is illegal in many countries to disclose to unauthorized ones what is found in private records. But if a Christian feels, after prayerful consideration, that he is facing a situation where the law of God required him to report what he knew despite the demands of lesser authorities, then that is a responsibility he accepts before Jehovah. There are times when a Christian "must obey God as ruler rather than men."

In this instance, however, Mary had some other significant information. For example, she knew that the sister had paid the bill [to pay for an abortion], apparently acknowledging that she had received the service specified. Also, she knew personally that the sister was single, thus raising the possibility of fornication. Mary felt a desire lovingly to help one who may have erred and to protect the cleanness of Jehovah’s organization, remembering Proverbs 14:25: "A true witness is delivering souls, but a deceitful one launches forth mere lies."

Mary was somewhat apprehensive about the legal aspects but felt that in this situation Bible principles should carry more weight than the requirement that she protect the privacy of the medical records

why would an Elder ask a publisher who's not zealous enough to become a pioneer, ministerial servant, or elder to spy on a fellow publisher. Wouldn't the average 'Joe Blo' publisher warn the publisher in question if that were the case? Just because the 70 year old nosy publisher meddling in other people's affairs who's constantly bending an Elders ear doesn't mean they are hired by the Elders.

I think the examples I provided above from the Society's own literature speaks for itself. I've known quite a few people who were being stalked by the local elders. One of them is a good friend of mind. He and his wife had split up (due to her committing adultery and just generally being a psychpath) and he moved out. Even though he hadn't gone to the meetings for 3 years, the local elders decided to take it upon themselves to follow him around to see if he was committing fornication. One night, he was taking a box of stuff that belonged to his ex-wife, over to his brother in law's house and the elders followed him. He went right up to them, knocked on the window of the car and said "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" They were flustered and got out of there. He phoned them later and told them that if they ever followed him like that again, he'd have them charged with stalking.

They do for the same reason other cult leaders tell their flock to spy on each other and why Hitler trained his followers to rat on anyone who didn't believe in him or the Third Reich: It's another form of mind control. And it's sick.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius
    Witnesses are trained from the time they can talk, that if you know of someone in the congregation who has committed a sin (like breaking one of the hundreds of manmade rules the GB has forced upon the rank and file), then you either convince them to confess to the gestapo elders, or it's your God-given duty to squeal on them

exactly............ they either spy themselves directly, or they spy by proxy by asking someone to do their dirtywork for them. even if you had a body of "Good" elders who truely care for everyone(and they do exist just are rare and have their hands tied most times) the gov bod have conditioned all the rank and file to automaticly spy and run to the front of the class pointing their fingers.

to put that into perspective........ i just FInally found my church home in georgia, but in searching i had to attend many different ones looking for one that fit me and my wife and one in which we could grow. last week we went to a church.......... the pastor got up in front of the congregation and was speaking about people who needed prayer. he said that brother TIM has been having problems dealing with his issues again and that they had been talking about them and he would like to be remembered in the congregations prayers.

now this pastor didnt reveal what tims problems were....... nor did he bash him or say anything negative..... just asked for prayers and suppport.

THATS what should happen.......... THATS what jesus would do...... Thats why jws are NOT christian,,,, just one reason among many.

oh but lets not forget the conditioned response " but theirs nothing else outside the org" Yeah right

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit