New Generation Understanding

by momzcrazy 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Hello Everyone, I am new here and newly freed from the snare of WTBS. My sister, also newly freed, said our mom told her at the annual meeting there was a new "understanding" on the generation confusion. It is now the annointed that will not pass away.

Has anyone else heard this? Quite a jump from the 1995 understanding.

Thanks!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome to the forum, momzcrazy!

You're right, there was a change announced at the Society's annual meeting. I cannot find the thread with it right now, but it has been discussed a few times earlier this month here.

Until now the "generation that won't pass away" was considered to be unrighteous mankind who would be in existence whenever Armageddon came.

The "new light" (sigh) is that the WTS will now say this "generation" is the "anointed remnant" class that would still be around whenever Armageddon came.

You have to love this 180-degree shift in who this "generation" means. Yes Jehovah gives wonderful new light !!

• marmot
    marmot

Welcome!

Yeah, this was discussed in another thread but I think it can have one more. To me, this new light is just a way of saying that the end is NEVER going to come because there will always be handful of anointed around. In fact, didn't their number increase since the 90s?

I know for certain that the latest addition to the Governing Body, David Splane, is barely older than my parents and he pioneered with them in Quebec during the 70s. He certainly isn't of the "1914 generation".

My dad (a firm JW) also expressed to me in a rare moment of candor that he doesn't think the 144,000 is a literal number.

Can you just imagine the theological mess they'd have to sort out if ever the WT society changed light bulbs on that tenet?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I never thought of the fact that there will always be some claiming to be annointed. Good point. While they may be using stalling tactics, my mom told my sister that means the ends is coming anyday, hurry back to the "truth".

Gopher, don't these 180 degree turns make you dizzy? I think they must be used to it, stick to what you're good at!

Thanks for touching on the topic once again for me.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I'm sorry, thanks for the welcomes! I'm new to the forum things, I've become familiar with the demon internet.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Marmot,

That is the next logical change in doctrine after this latest generation change. First, they dropped the cut-off date of 1935 for the choosing of the 'annointed." Next, they changed the understanding of the generation who will see the end to the "annointed." All that is left is to drop the literal number idea and make it symbolic.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Welcome to JWD!

nj

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome, welcome.

The last NEW GENERATION UNDERSTANDING was my stumbling block, although it took another decade to
    do something about it. I imagine they could think this is easier to understand. It's all garbage. I bet the JW's
    just nod their heads at this and still don't get it.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yep -- Armageddon will come when it comes, no time pressure now. And when it comes, the anointed will be "that generation".

So JW's will have little or no urgency that fueled past growth spurts (like 1925, "soon after" WW2, 1975, end of the century). Perhaps they'll be foolish enough to hint at 2034 (as has been mentioned elsewhere on thie forum) or some other date to try to ignite their growth again.

To further forestall "the end", they will have to make the 144,000 symbolic. That would be an easy change for them to pull, since everything in Revelation was supposedly "presented in signs" anyhow.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Welcome and congrats on being freed.

My husband and I quit attending after the 1995 generation change. That wasn't the reason we left but it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit