I just gave 2 Mormon Elders Hell!

by smellsgood 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It's funny, but you can research the LDS church and it looks a lot weirder than it is if you take every word to heart the way that JWs do every WT. But the LDS DON'T. They will listen to speeches and read articles, but really, there is more of a big picture sense of things there. They don't nitpick the bible or the BOM apart the way the WT does. Yes, they try to find evidence that they are really all true, but proof being in the pudding, other than abusive families, I don't think there is any kind of cultural abuse within the church-and I do think that the WT/JW religion is hugely abusive. Most LDS families take the best parts and the common sense and seem to accept some of the other teachings in a matter of fact way-but I don't see them being hyped or getting defensive about them. They are about their families and their community. The past matters on July 24 when they have their pioneer day festival (I think it is called), they study in a fairly cursory way the origins of the church, but they are really very practical as a church and in family matters.

While I was a youth, I had to get a recommend to go to youth activities. This involved a private discussion with the bishop about whether I was obeying the word of wisdom and staying morally clean. I am not sure whether he actually even mentioned anything but the wow, but I fully had expected (after JW experience) the third degree. He mostly just asked how I was doing, what was my plans for college, etc. I was terrified-but soon realized I was in a very different kind of group.

My son asked two days ago why we don't go to church anymore. I asked him if he wanted to, and he answered yes. I asked him if he had any ideas for the church he wanted to go to and he pointed to the lovely building we passed in Smokey Point-it was the LDS ward/stake building. I am not getting involved in it again, but really, he wouldn't learn anything funkier there than any of my kids did in some of the 'christian' churches we have been to. Between the virgin mary and denying science, I doubt they will be any worse off in the LDS church. I am a bit at a loss as to what to do about the church thing. Anyway, LDS church sunday school is pretty much like every other. I think they have a more interesting mythology.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

btw Susan, I wasn't on any apostate Websites. I was only on the LDS website, I read every article I looked up in its entirety, and many others.

"As man is God once was; as God is man can become." Brigham Young

"GOD IS REPRODUCING HIMSELF! That's the glorious Good News that Jesus boldly proclaimed! The Gospel of the KINGDOM OF GOD announces the GOD KINGDOM: a Spirit-Born Kingdom of God-Beings! A Royal Family that we can enter (Rev. 3:21). A Divine Family that will administer God's Government throughout the universe and eternity (Isa. 9:7; Dan. 7:18).

God became man, so man could become God (John 1:14; Matt. 10:25). Mankind has been created after the GODKIND, and after a life of conversion, of changing for the better, of going through the process of purification (becoming more God-like, more Christ-like, more Kingdom-like) we can be BORN AGAIN BY A RESURRECTION - just like Jesus was, the firstborn of MANY brethren! (Rom. 1:4; 8:29). Presently, we're far too human, but soon we're to be transformed into glorious, immortal Spirit!"

David Ben Ariel, follower of Herbert W. Armstrong. http://ezinearticles.com/?id=99328

Anyone need to tell me its out of context?
    Kinda like WWCOG

Also like WWCOG, restored Church lost in first Century (actually, after I had talked to Elders bringing up the "restored first century" that so many claim, ironically they gave me a little booklet "Restoration" I think "of the true gospel", huh.)

Counterfeit Gospel

"By the sixth decade of the first century, much of the Middle East had turned from the true gospel to a counterfeit (Gal. 1:6-7). As late as the 90s A.D. the apostle John was still living. He wrote the book of Revelation on the Isle of Patmos."

'Mystery of the Ages' Herbert W. Armstrong

Is anyone going to complain about this small quote being out of context? The entire book is online if anyone wants to look it up. Many similarities to the WT! Esp. regarding the trinity and hell, Christmas and Easter. Similarities to Mormonism regarding first century restored Christianity, polytheistic, and man can become God, or gods.

Restoration of God's Truth to Church

"From the year 1931, exactly 1,900 years (a century of time cycles) from the foundation of the Church, this small remnant of the original true Church of God began to take on new life as the Philadelphia era. It had come to the "time of the end." A new spiritual vitality was infused into it. The time had come for Jesus' prophecy of Matthew 24:14 to be fulfilled--"this gospel of the kingdom shall be [proclaimed] in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Such vital truth that had been lost was gradually revealed and proclaimed."

'Mystery of the Ages' Herbert W. Armstrong

Anyone going to complain about this quote being out of context?

Also kinda sorta like Mormonism:

God Is a Family

"Now once again to Genesis 1:1: "In the beginning God...." This originally was written by Moses as God inspired him. Moses wrote in Hebrew. The Hebrew word translated "God" is Elohim--a noun or name, plural in form, but normally singular in grammatical usage. It is the same sort of word as family, church, group--one family consisting of two or more members--one church composed of many members--one group of several persons."

Anyone, complain, out of context?

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

"They will listen to speeches and read articles, but really, there is more of a big picture sense of things there. They don't nitpick the bible or the BOM apart the way the WT does. Yes, they try to find evidence that they are really all true, but proof being in the pudding, other than abusive families, I don't think there is any kind of cultural abuse within the church-and I do think that the WT/JW religion is hugely abusive."

agreed. I understand what you're trying to tell me. That it may be mythological, but it isn't as harmful, either in the way that you will die, the shunning, the never doing enough....I can see what you mean. I think it's probably like alot of Churchianity, where it may be more of a social club for some,,,something to do to belong to..You're saying their not as "believe or DIEEEE" about EVERY little point of doctrine. I get it. I don't think they're all dumb or insane or anything.

I see what you mean that they're not as dogmatic...I still do have to call them a cult. It's mostly doctrinal, not behavioural with them though isn't it? I think my #1 red flag is that the CHURCH states, even if the membership don't necessarily take it too seriously, that you MUST belong to their "true Church" to be saved. That and restoration of the First Century!! I can't get away from that with these groups!

"Most LDS families take the best parts and the common sense and seem to accept some of the other teachings in a matter of fact way-but I don't see them being hyped or getting defensive about them."

Well, the one Elder was extremely defensive, the other one was pretty chill. I don't know if they get the highly embarassing satanic black thing brought up every day. :)

"They are about their families and their community. "

Obviously they're more charitable than the WT. Did you tithe JWD?

"The past matters on July 24 when they have their pioneer day festival (I think it is called), they study in a fairly cursory way the origins of the church, but they are really very practical as a church and in family matters."

I could tell from some of the articles and my experiences with them. From my perspective, it is one of their niches that is USED to attract new converts. The Unification Church is all ABOUT family as it is about the "True Parents" etc. I saw the Nightline about Mormonism the other day, and I was struck by the woman at the end stressing that if people wanted to know about LDS, they should ask a member (ok.) Also, that because it was so true (paraphr.) that there were obvious evil forces working against the Church.

Thanks for your perspective though, its always good to be balanced. Except in matters of great importance.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

LOL@Nvr! Damn, I try so hard to hide it *spews hatred* sometimes it just escapes *looks around, feels hatred!* a hardened and bitter individual like myself. I was thinking of looking around for proof of my already formed conclusion that all French people smell of vinegar and feet and eat babies. It makes a sad being like me feel better to form hateful vitriolic conclusions before I have any evidence. Just saying. *sees a rainbow, erupts in hatefilled spasms*

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

What "creepy religious exercises" are LDS parents "commanded to have with their children"? What on earth are you talking about? There is no such thing in the Mormon religion.

Ok, I forgot to reply to this. I am going to reproduce it, even though it is lengthy in its ENTIRETY from THE FOLLOWING LINK, so as NOT to be accussed again of taking anything out of context. The only thing I'll do is the ****** to highlight what I find to be PARTICULARLY creepy.

Poll: Do any of you who are reading this, which is apparently directed at Children, find this CREEPY? A reinforcing and immersion of the impressionable child into answering questions designed to HIGHLY indoctrinate?

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/menuitem.b3bc55cbf541229058520974e44916a0/?vgnextoid=637e1b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=5c9ca41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

“Lesson 46: Strengthening Our Testimonies of the Restored Gospel,” Primary 5: Doctrine and Covenants: Church History, (1997), 280
    Purpose

To strengthen the children’s testimonies that Jesus Christ restored his true church through the Prophet Joseph Smith and that Jesus Christ directs the Church today.
    Preparation

1. Prayerfully study 2 Nephi 28:30, Ether 4:11, and the following scriptures describing the parts of a testimony:
    o

a. Doctrine and Covenants 19:16–19, 46:13, 76:22–23; Joseph Smith—History 1:17 (Jesus Christ is Heavenly Father’s Son and our Savior.)
    o

b. Doctrine and Covenants 21:1–3, 135:3; Joseph Smith—History 1:33 (Joseph Smith was the prophet through whom Jesus Christ restored his church to the earth.)
    o

c. Moroni 10:3–5, Doctrine and Covenants 17:6 (The Book of Mormon is true.)
    o

d. Doctrine and Covenants 1:30, 115:4; Joseph Smith—History 1:10–19 (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church.)
    o

e. Doctrine and Covenants 1:38; 21:1, 4; 28:6–7 (We are led by a living prophet today.)
    o

Then study the lesson and decide how you want to teach the children the scriptural account. (See “Preparing Your Lessons,” pp. vi–vii, and “Teaching the Scriptural and Historical Accounts,” pp. vii–ix.)

2. Additional reading: Gospel Principles (31110), chapters 16 and 17.

3. Select the discussion questions and enrichment activities that will involve the children and best help them achieve the purpose of the lesson.

4. Prepare the following wordstrips:

I can strengthen my testimony that—

Jesus Christ is Heavenly Father’s Son and our Savior.

Joseph Smith was the prophet through whom Jesus Christ restored his church to the earth.

The Book of Mormon is true.

****** The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church.*********

We are led by a living prophet today.

5. Materials needed:
    o

a. A Book of Mormon, a Doctrine and Covenants, and a Pearl of Great Price for each child.
    o

b. A few reference books such as a dictionary or encyclopedia, magazines such as the Friend, or schoolbooks appropriate to be shown in Primary.
    o

c. A picture of the living prophet (from the meetinghouse library or a Church magazine); selected pictures from previous lessons to illustrate the events you review while teaching the scriptural account.

Suggested Lesson Development

Invite a child to give the opening prayer.
    Attention Activity

Write the word knowledge on the chalkboard.

• How do you learn new things or obtain knowledge?

Give the reference books, magazines, or schoolbooks to the children and let them quickly find some fact they can briefly share with the class. (If you have more children than books, let the children work in teams.) Allow the children to share their facts with the class. Explain that gaining knowledge is important, but knowing that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true is the most important knowledge. This knowledge is called a testimony. Write the word testimony next to the word knowledge on the chalkboard.

• How do you gain a testimony?

Read 2 Nephi 28:30 with the children and discuss what this verse means. Explain that we gain our testimonies of the gospel a little at a time. As we learn a few things about the gospel and live accordingly, we will learn more and strengthen our faith in what we have already learned. As we live the principles of the gospel, the Holy Ghost will help us know that they are true. Ask the children to listen to the following quotation to see how President Joseph F. Smith, the sixth President of the Church, gained his testimony. Read or have a child read the quotation:

“I would frequently go out and ask the Lord to show me some marvelous thing, in order that I might receive a testimony. But the Lord withheld marvels from me, and showed me the truth, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. … He did not have to send an angel from the heavens to do this. … By the whisperings of the still small voice of the spirit of the living God, He gave to me the testimony I possess” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1900, pp. 40–41).

Point out that even though Joseph F. Smith became a prophet, he did not gain his testimony by a spectacular experience, but a little at a time.

Tell the children that in this lesson they will discuss some of the basic parts of a testimony of the gospel, review what they already know about those parts, and learn how they can strengthen their own testimonies of the gospel.
    Scriptural Account

Display the wordstrip I can strengthen my testimony that—. Discuss with the children what a testimony is. Explain that a testimony is a knowledge, confirmed by the Holy Ghost, that something is true. Help the children understand that as we study the gospel and pray about what we learn, the Holy Ghost will help us know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true.

Post the remaining wordstrips one at a time. For each wordstrip, use the scriptures listed in the “Preparation” section and the applicable discussion and application questions to teach the children about the basic parts of a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. You may want to review (or have the children review) events discussed in previous lessons, showing appropriate pictures, to help the children understand the parts of a testimony.

After you discuss the wordstrips,******* help the children understand that the good feelings we have when we hear these things—that Jesus Christ is Heavenly Father’s Son and our Savior, Joseph Smith was the prophet through whom Jesus Christ restored his church to the earth, the Book of Mormon is true, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church, and we are led by a living prophet today—are a witness from the Holy Ghost that these things are true.*********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help the children understand that they already have the beginnings of a testimony. To strengthen their testimonies they can study the gospel, pray about it, obey Heavenly Father’s commandments, and share their testimonies with others (see enrichment activities 1, 2, 3, and 5). Explain that when we bear our testimonies to others, we should include the basic parts of a testimony.
    Discussion and Application Questions

Study the following questions and the scripture references as you prepare your lesson. Use the questions you feel will best help the children understand the scriptures and apply the principles in their lives. Reading and discussing the scriptures with the children in class will help them gain personal insights.

• Who is Jesus Christ? (JS—H 1:17.) How is Jesus our Savior? (D&C 19:16–19; 46:13.) How can we know that Jesus Christ is our Savior?

• What did you learn about Jesus Christ when you learned about the First Vision and the appearance of Jesus Christ in the Kirtland Temple? How do these things help strengthen your testimony that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our Savior?

• How did Joseph Smith find out which church he should join? (JS—H 1:10–19.) How can following Joseph Smith’s example help us strengthen our testimonies of the gospel?

**************• What did Jesus Christ restore to the earth through Joseph Smith? How can we know that Joseph Smith was the prophet through whom Jesus Christ restored his church? (See enrichment activity 4.)*************

******************• How did Joseph Smith assist the Savior in the restoration of the true church to the earth? (D&C 135:3; you may want to have each child tell about a different event that contributed to the restoration of the church of Jesus Christ, such as Moroni appearing to Joseph Smith, Joseph receiving the plates, Joseph translating the plates, or Joseph organizing the Church.)************

*************• Why is it important to read and study the Book of Mormon throughout our lives? How can we gain a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true? (Moroni 10:3–5; help the children understand that we can use the procedure described in Moroni 10:3–5 to gain a testimony of any gospel principle, not just that the Book of Mormon is true.)************

**************• Why did Jesus Christ’s church need to be restored? (JS—H 1:19; D&C 1:30.) How can we know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Jesus Christ’s true church?*****************

• What is the complete name of the Church? (D&C 115:4.) Who gave the Church this name? *************Explain that the name of the Church was given to Joseph Smith by Jesus Christ himself. Remind the children that the name of the Church signifies that this is Jesus Christ’s true church on the earth today.********

******* • Who is the head of the Church today? (Jesus Christ.)(*Just like WT, no?) Who is the leader of the Church on earth? (The living prophet.) Read or have a child read the following quotation from Gordon B. Hinckley, fifteenth President of the Church: “This church does not belong to its President. Its head is the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name each of us has taken upon ourselves” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1995, p. 94; or Ensign, May 1995, p. 71).********

********** • Show a picture of the living prophet. Who is this man? What do you know about him? (Give each child an opportunity to tell something he or she knows about the prophet.) What does the prophet do? (He teaches us things that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to know and do; see D&C 1:38; 21:1, 4.)*********

• How can we know that we are led by a living prophet today?

• What makes up a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ? How do we receive a testimony? (Through the Holy Ghost; see Ether 4:11.)

• Why is it important for each of us to have our own testimony of the gospel? How can we strengthen our testimonies? (See enrichment activities 1, 2, 3, and 5.)

• How has learning about the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history this year in Primary helped strengthen your testimony of the gospel?

Enrichment Activities

You may use one or more of the following activities any time during the lesson or as a review, summary, or challenge.

*******1. Emphasize how important it is for each member of the Church to have his or her own testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Read or have a child read the following quotation from Harold B. Lee, eleventh President of the Church:*********
    o

“You will have to be guided by the light within yourself [your own testimony]. If you do not have it, you will not stand” (Stand Ye in Holy Places [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974], p. 95).
    o

********* Explain that while our testimonies are growing, we can use other people’s testimonies to help us. For example, we can believe that the Book of Mormon is true because we know our parents, our bishop, or the living prophet know it is true. However, we must each work to gain our own testimony and keep it strong.*********
    o

Have the children take turns illustrating on the chalkboard ways to strengthen testimonies, such as listening to the prophet, praying, reading the scriptures, being a missionary, going to church, participating in family home evening, giving a talk in Primary, singing in Primary, obeying the Word of Wisdom, and making wise choices. (You may want to write suggestions on separate pieces of paper for the children to choose, or have the children think up their own suggestions.) Have the other children try to identify the illustrations.
    o

After each child has had a turn, ask:
    o

• How do these things help strengthen your testimony? What would happen to your testimony if you decided to stop doing these things?

2. Write the word testimony on an uninflated balloon. Have the children suggest things that will help their testimonies grow, such as praying, reading the scriptures, and sharing their testimonies with others (see the suggestions in enrichment activity 1). As the children give each suggestion, blow some air into the balloon. Discuss how the balloon grows, just as their testimonies will grow if they do the things they have suggested.
    o

************* • What will happen to our testimonies if we do not do these things?
    o

Slowly let the air out of the balloon, and explain that if we do nothing to keep them growing, our testimonies will shrink just like the balloon.*********!!!!!!!!!!

3. Explain that gaining a testimony can be compared to planting a seed. Read and discuss Alma 32:36–39 with the children.

4. Relate the following experience had by Gordon B. Hinckley, fifteenth President of the Church, at a priesthood meeting when he was twelve years old:
    o

“The hall was filled with men … and they lifted their voices in unison in that great hymn, ‘Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah! Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer. Blessed to open the last dispensation, Kings shall extol him and nations revere’ [see Hymns,no. 27]. … There came into my heart a conviction that the man of whom they sang [Joseph Smith] was really a prophet of God, and I am grateful to be able to say that that conviction, which came, I believe, by the power of the Holy Spirit, has never left me” (Gordon B. Hinckley: Man of Integrity, 15th President of the Church, videocassette [53503]).
    o

Invite the children to share experiences when the Holy Ghost has given them a strong feeling that the gospel (or some principle of the gospel) is true. You may want to share an experience of your own.

5. Have a child read the following quotation from Elder Bruce R. McConkie, who was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:
    o

“Would you like a formula to tell how to get personal revelation [a testimony]? … My formula is simply this:
    o

“1. Search the scriptures.
    o

“2. Keep the commandments.
    o

“3. Ask in faith.”
    o

(“How to Get Personal Revelation,” New Era, June 1980, p. 50)
    o

• How did Joseph Smith apply this formula? How can you apply it?
    o

********** You may want to have the children write this formula on cards that they can take home and display in their homes to remind them to continually strengthen their testimonies.***********

6. Invite the children to share how they feel about one or more of the statements on the wordstrips that were posted during the lesson. Help the children recognize that the good feelings they have about the Church and its teachings are the beginnings of a testimony.

********** 7. Sing or say the words to “The Church of Jesus Christ” (Children’s Songbook, p. 77) or “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” (Hymns,no. 136).

Conclusion
    Testimony

Emphasize how important it is for all members of the Church to have their own testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ. ************Remind the children that they already have the beginnings of a testimony and that they can strengthen their testimonies through study and prayer. Express your gratitude for Jesus Christ, the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, the Church, and the living prophet.************* Share your experiences in gaining your testimony, and invite the children to express their feelings about the gospel.

Encourage the children to share their testimonies with their families.
    Suggested Home Reading

Suggest that the children study Moroni 10:3–5 and Doctrine and Covenants 1:30, 76:22–23 at home as a review of this lesson.
    Suggested Family Sharing

Encourage the children to share with their families a specific part of the lesson, such as a story, question, or activity, or to read with their families the “Suggested Home Reading.”

Invite a child to give the closing prayer.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Ok, here's another one, PRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY FROM THIS LINK:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/menuitem.b3bc55cbf541229058520974e44916a0/?vgnextoid=637e1b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=d9eba41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

Please note this is from 1997, not too old then.

“Lesson 1: Joseph Smith and the First Vision,” Primary 5: Doctrine and Covenants: Church History, (1997), 1
    Purpose

To strengthen each child’s testimony that the Prophet Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ.
    Preparation

1. Prayerfully study Joseph Smith—History 1:1–26 and the historical account given in this lesson. Then study the lesson and decide how you want to teach the children the scriptural and historical accounts. (See “Preparing Your Lessons,” pp. vi–vii, and “Teaching the Scriptural and Historical Accounts,” pp. vii–ix.)

2. Select the discussion questions and enrichment activities that will involve the children and best help them achieve the purpose of the lesson.

3. Prepare two empty containers, such as boxes or paper bags, that appear to contain something. Label each container with the words Choose Me!

4. Materials needed:
    o

a. A Pearl of Great Price for each child.
    o

b. Map of the New York–Ohio Area, found at the end of the lesson.
    o

c. Picture 5-1, The Prophet Joseph Smith (Gospel Art Picture Kit 401; 62002); picture 5-3, Joseph Smith’s Family; picture 5-4, Joseph Smith Seeks Wisdom in the Bible (Gospel Art Picture Kit 402); picture 5-5, The Sacred Grove; picture 5-6, The First Vision (Gospel Art Picture Kit 403; 62470).

Attention Activity

******Ask a child to leave the room for a moment. Show the two containers to the rest of the class without letting them see inside. Divide the class into two groups and give each a container. Tell the children in each group that when the child who left the room returns, they are to try to persuade him or her to choose their container. Invite the child to return to the room and choose one of the containers. Ask the child who chose the container questions such as the following:

• Why did you choose that container?

• How did you feel when others were trying to tell you what to do?

Explain that when Joseph Smith was fourteen years old, he was confused about a choice he needed to make. He was trying to decide which church he should join. Other people tried to help him choose a church, but he only became more confused. He felt that he needed more information to make a wise decision: he wanted to know which church was true. Joseph’s situation was similar to that of the child who had to choose between the two containers. Everyone wanted him to choose their church, but he did not know which church was the right choice.*******
    Scriptural and Historical Accounts

Teach the children about Joseph Smith’s life and the events leading up to and including the First Vision, as described in Joseph Smith—History 1:1–26 and the following account. Show the map and the pictures at appropriate times.

Joseph Smith was born in 1805 in the state of Vermont in the United States of America. He was the fourth of nine children. When Joseph was ten years old, he and his family moved to the state of New York, settling near the town of Palmyra (point out this area on the map). The Smith family was poor, and all the members of the family had to work hard to provide food and other necessities for the family. The family had moved many times before settling near Palmyra, where they found farmland on which crops would grow well.

Joseph did not have much opportunity to attend school, so he learned only the basics of reading, writing, and simple arithmetic. Joseph’s mother said that he seemed just like other boys his age until the time of his vision. She said he was quiet and well-mannered and liked to study and think about important things. He was a tall, athletic, cheerful boy who seldom got angry.

Joseph’s family loved God and wanted to keep his commandments. They read the Bible and prayed together often. Like Joseph, they were confused about which church was the true church of Jesus Christ. After Joseph received his first vision, his family believed him and supported him in the great work he was called to do.

Explain that this year’s course of study will be from the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history. The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of divine revelations, most of them given to the Prophet Joseph Smith by Jesus Christ. Many of the historical events that occurred during the early days of the Church were recorded by Joseph Smith himself in the section of the Pearl of Great Price entitled “Joseph Smith—History.” Help the children find this section in their copies of the Pearl of Great Price.

Study the following questions and the scripture references as you prepare your lesson. Use the questions you feel will best help the children understand the scriptures and apply the principles in their lives. Reading and discussing the scriptures with the children in class will help them gain personal insights.

• When and where was Joseph Smith born? (JS—H 1:3.) What were the names of Joseph’s mother and father? (JS—H 1:4.) How many children were in Joseph’s family? (JS—H 1:4.) How did Joseph’s parents help prepare him for the work he was to do?

• Where did Joseph Smith’s family move after they left Vermont? (JS—H 1:3.) Help the children understand that although the family moved from Vermont to New York to find a better place to farm, a more important reason for their move—a reason they did not know about—was so that Joseph could live close to the place where the gold plates were buried. In what ways might Heavenly Father direct our lives without our knowing about it?

******* • Why was Joseph confused about which church he should join? (JS—H 1:5–10.) How did the scriptures help Joseph decide what to do? (JS—H 1:11–13.) How have the scriptures helped you make decisions? (You may wish to share a personal experience.)********

********** • Where did Joseph Smith go to pray? (JS—H 1:14.) Why do you think he wanted a place where he could be alone? Explain that the place where Joseph Smith went to pray is now called “The Sacred Grove.” (See enrichment activity 6.)******

********** • What happened when Joseph began to pray? (JS—H 1:15.) Where did this darkness come from? (JS—H 1:16.) How was Joseph delivered from the darkness that surrounded him? (JS—H 1:17.) What did Joseph learn about Satan and his power from this experience? What did he learn about Heavenly Father’s power? (It is greater than Satan’s power.) Why is it important for us to remember that Heavenly Father’s power is greater than Satan’s power?**********

************* • Why do you think Satan wanted to stop Joseph from praying? How does Satan try to stop us from praying or doing what is right? What can we do when Satan tempts us?*************

*********** • Who appeared to Joseph in the Sacred Grove? (JS—H 1:17.) What did these personages look like? What did Heavenly Father say to Joseph? What did Joseph learn about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ from this vision? (See enrichment activity 1.)**************

************** • What did Jesus tell Joseph about which church he should join? (JS—H 1:18–19.) Why? Display the containers from the attention activity and show that both containers are empty. Point out that neither container was the “right” choice. Explain that none of the churches on the earth in Joseph Smith’s time was the right choice. Each of these churches had some good teachings, but none of them had the complete truth of the gospel.***********************

*********************• How did the “professors of religion” react to Joseph’s vision? (JS—H 1:21–22.) Why was Joseph surprised by their reactions? (JS—H 1:22–23.) Explain that persecute means to cause someone to suffer because of what they believe. Have you ever been persecuted for the things you believe? What have you done about it?********************************

********************************** • How was Joseph’s testimony of his first vision affected by the persecution he received? (JS—H 1:25.) Why is it important that we each have a personal testimony of Joseph Smith’s first vision? (See enrichment activity 2.)***********************************

Enrichment Activities

You may use one or more of the following activities any time during the lesson or as a review, summary, or challenge.

1. Make for each child a copy of the crossword puzzle found at the end of the lesson. Help the children complete the puzzle, and then discuss the answers with them. If it is not feasible to make a copy of the puzzle for each child, draw the puzzle on the chalkboard. Then read the puzzle clues to the children, pausing to let them choose the appropriate response. Let the children take turns writing the answer words in the puzzle on the chalkboard. (Answers: 1-Heavenly Father; 2-greater; 3-Jesus Christ; 4-separate; 5-answer; 6-destroy; 7-church.)

************************* 2. Ask two children to each read one of the following quotations:
    o

Joseph F. Smith, sixth President of the Church, said: “The greatest event that has ever occurred in the world, since the resurrection of the Son of God from the tomb and his ascension on high, was the coming of the Father and of the Son to that boy Joseph Smith. … Having accepted this truth, I find it easy to accept of every other truth that [Joseph Smith] … declared” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939], pp. 495–96).
    o

Ezra Taft Benson, thirteenth President of the Church, taught us: “You should always bear testimony to the truth of the First Vision. Joseph Smith did see the Father and the Son. They conversed with him as he said they did” (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], p. 101).*************************
    o

• Why is it important to have a testimony of the First Vision?
    o

************************* Help the children understand that the First Vision is the foundation of a testimony of the true church of Jesus Christ. Once we believe that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ actually appeared and talked to Joseph Smith, then we can be sure that everything else the Prophet taught or restored to us is also the truth.**********************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Help the children memorize or review the first article of faith. Discuss how it testifies of a truth discovered in Joseph Smith’s first vision: that God the Eternal Father and his Son, Jesus Christ, are two separate personages.

4. Help the children memorize Joseph Smith—History 1:25 (beginning with for I had seen a vision) or James 1:5. Show the children where the book of James is found in the New Testament. Discuss what the phrase “giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not” means.

**************************** 5. Explain that Joseph Smith was chosen before he was born to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ. Have the children look up and read 2 Nephi 3:14–15. Explain that Joseph of Egypt prophesied that one of his descendants would restore the gospel to the earth. His name would also be Joseph, and he would be named after his father. The Prophet Joseph Smith was named after his father. He was called Joseph Smith Junior. His father was called Joseph Smith Senior.**************************

6. To help the children understand that the Sacred Grove has remained as it was in Joseph Smith’s day, relate the following account:
    o

“In 1860 … a boyhood friend of Joseph Smith … purchased what had been the Smith farm. He later told his son … that he had never touched an ax to the trees in the woodlot on the west end of the farm because Joseph had identified this area as the place where he had beheld his vision. … A century and a half after the First Vision, the ten-acre grove still retains much of its primeval [natural] beauty. Trees of mature size in Joseph’s day still grace this aged forest. Many are more than 200 years old” (Donald Enders, “The Sacred Grove,” Ensign, Apr. 1990, p. 16).
    o

You may want to explain that while we know that the area now called the Sacred Grove is where Joseph Smith received his first vision, we do not know the exact location within the grove where Joseph saw the vision.

7. Show the segment “The First Vision” (15 minutes) from the videocassette Moments from Church History (53145) to the children.

************** 8. Sing or say the words to “Joseph Smith’s First Prayer” (Hymns,no. 26), “The Sacred Grove” (Children’s Songbook, p. 87), or the third verse of “On a Golden Springtime” (Children’s Songbook, p. 88).************

Conclusion
    Testimony

Share your testimony of the First Vision and the Prophet Joseph Smith. Encourage each child to pray that his or her own personal testimony of the First Vision may be strengthened.
    Suggested Home Reading

Suggest that the children study Joseph Smith—History 1:1–20 at home as a review of this lesson.
    Suggested Family Sharing

Encourage the children to share with their families a specific part of the lesson, such as a story, question, or activity, or to read with their families the “Suggested Home Reading.”

The New York–Ohio Area

Click to View Larger Format

What We Learn from the First Vision
    (**This is meant to be an activity for children!)

1. We are made in the image of ________ and Jesus Christ.

2. Heavenly Father’s power is ________ than Satan’s power.

3. ________ is Heavenly Father’s Son.

4. Heavenly Father and Jesus are two ________ personages.

5. Heavenly Father will ________ our sincere prayers.

6. Satan is real and wants to ________ the work of Heavenly Father and Jesus.

7. Jesus told Joseph that no ________ then on the earth was true.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

One more, and I think everyone will get the idea. This is just a teeny portion of them.

PRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/menuitem.b3bc55cbf541229058520974e44916a0/?vgnextoid=637e1b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=5fdaa41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

“Lesson 11: The Restored Church of Jesus Christ Is Organized,” Primary 5: Doctrine and Covenants: Church History, (1997), 52
    Purpose

To strengthen each child’s testimony that through revelation the true church was restored to the earth.
    Preparation

1. Prayerfully study the historical account given in this lesson and Doctrine and Covenants 20:1–4, 37, 71–79 and 21:1–5. Then study the lesson and decide how you want to teach the children the scriptural and historical accounts. (See “Preparing Your Lessons,” pp. vi–vii, and “Teaching the Scriptural and Historical Accounts,” pp. vii–ix.)

2. Additional reading: Doctrine and Covenants 68:27 and Gospel Principles (31110), chapters 16 and 17.

3. Select the discussion questions and enrichment activities that will involve the children and best help them achieve the purpose of the lesson.

4. Materials needed:
    o

a. A Doctrine and Covenants for each child.
    o

b. Picture 5-6, The First Vision (Gospel Art Picture Kit 403; 62470); picture 5-8, Moroni Appears to Joseph Smith in His Room (Gospel Art Picture Kit 404; 62492); picture 5-11, Joseph Smith Receives the Gold Plates (Gospel Art Picture Kit 406; 62012); picture 5-14, Joseph Smith Translating the Gold Plates; picture 5-15, John the Baptist Conferring the Aaronic Priesthood (Gospel Art Picture Kit 407; 62013); picture 5-16, Melchizedek Priesthood Restoration (Gospel Art Picture Kit 408, 62371); picture 5-20, Organization of the Church.

Attention Activity

********Review the events in the life of Joseph Smith that led to the restoration of the true church on the earth **********by showing the pictures listed in the “Preparation” section (all but the picture of the organization of the Church) and letting the children tell about the events pictured.

• Why did all these events happen in Joseph Smith’s life?

Read or have a child read the following quotation:

“This day of organization was … the graduation for Joseph from ten years of remarkable schooling. … All of these [events] were preliminary to that historic April 6” (Gordon B. Hinckley, “150-Year Drama: A Personal View of Our History,” Ensign, April 1980, pp. 11–12).

*********Help the children understand that these events prepared Joseph Smith for his most important work, helping the Lord restore the church of Jesus Christ to the earth.****************
    Scriptural and Historical Accounts

************Teach the children about the organization of the Church and the instructions that were given to the Prophet Joseph Smith, as described in the following historical account and the scriptures listed in the “Preparation” section. Show the picture of the organization of the Church at an appropriate time.*************

Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods from John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John in 1829, and at this time Joseph was given the authority to organize and preside over the Church. Joseph Smith received two important revelations in April 1830 concerning how the Church should be organized. These revelations, published now as Doctrine and Covenants 20 and 21, told Joseph to organize the Church as Jesus Christ had organized his church when he lived on the earth.

The Lord revealed to the Prophet the exact day on which the Church should be organized (see D&C 20, section heading and verse 1). An organization meeting was held on Tuesday, 6 April 1830, at the home of Peter Whitmer Sr. in Fayette, New York. About sixty people came to this meeting, which Joseph Smith conducted.

The state of New York required a church to have six official members before it could be legally organized. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery had been baptized on the day they received the Aaronic Priesthood, and later Hyrum Smith, Peter Whitmer Jr., Samuel H. Smith, and David Whitmer had been baptized. These men were the first official members of the Church. ***************All of these men had seen the gold plates and had testimonies that Joseph Smith was a prophet and the person through whom Jesus Christ would restore his church.****************

After a prayer, Joseph asked the people at the meeting if they accepted him and Oliver as their teachers and spiritual leaders. Everyone said yes by raising their hands (as we do in the Church today when we sustain people to callings). Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery then ordained each other to the office of elder. Joseph and Oliver administered the sacrament to the people at the meeting, and after that they confirmed those who had been baptized and gave them the gift of the Holy Ghost. Now Jesus Christ’s true church was restored and organized on the earth again. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Jesus Christ’s restored church and teaches the same gospel that Jesus taught when he lived on the earth (see enrichment activity 3).

• When was the Church organized? (D&C 21:3.) What was Joseph Smith called to be in the Church? (D&C 20:2; 21:1.) What was Oliver Cowdery called to be? (D&C 20:3.) Who gave Joseph and Oliver these callings? (D&C 20:4.) Who calls men to be apostles and prophets today? (Jesus Christ.)****************

• Who should be baptized? (D&C 20:37, 71.) What does it mean to be accountable? What is the age of accountability? (D&C 68:27.) How should we be baptized? (D&C 20:72–74.)

• When should we partake of the sacrament? (D&C 20:75.) Why do we partake of the sacrament?

• What were the early members of the Church taught about the Prophet Joseph Smith? (D&C 21:4–5.) Who tells us what Jesus Christ wants us to do today? (The living prophet.) Where can we hear or read about the teachings of the living prophet? Why should we learn what the living prophet is teaching us today?
    • Why is it important that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the same as the church Jesus established when he lived on the earth? Why do we need Jesus Christ’s church on the earth today? What blessings do you receive by being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?************************

Enrichment Activities

1. Give each child a copy of the quiz found at the end of the lesson (if it is not feasible to make copies, write the quiz on the chalkboard). Have the children take the quiz at the beginning of the lesson to see what they already know about the organization of the Church, or have them take it at the end of the lesson as a review.

************ 2. Explain that Jesus Christ told Joseph Smith exactly how the Church should be organized. He even told Joseph what the name of the Church should be (although this revelation came in 1838, eight years after the Church was organized).*************
    o

• What did Jesus Christ tell Joseph Smith the name of the Church should be?
    o

Have the children follow along in the Doctrine and Covenants as one child reads Doctrine and Covenants 115:4 aloud.********************* Explain that the name of the Church means that it is Jesus Christ’s church restored to the earth in our time, the latter days.****************

3. Divide the class into two groups. Give each group one of the following signs:

Jesus Christ’s church when he was on the earth

***************Jesus Christ’s restored church—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints*************

o

**************** Give the group designated “Jesus Christ’s church when he was on the earth” the Bible references listed below, and give the group designated “Jesus Christ’s restored church” the Doctrine and Covenants references listed below.****************
    o

Matthew 3:13, 16 / D&C 20:72–74 (baptism by immersion by someone having authority)
    o

Ephesians 2:19–20 / D&C 21:1 (living apostles and prophets)
    o

Amos 3:7 / D&C 21:5 (current revelation)
    o

Luke 22:19–20 / D&C 20:75 (sacrament)
    o

*********** Have each child read aloud one of the scriptures assigned to his or her group. Discuss with the children what these references say about the church of Jesus Christ. Help the children understand that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is organized the same way that Jesus Christ’s church was organized when he was on the earth.***************

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!******************** 4. Help the children understand that to have a testimony of Jesus Christ and his restored church, they must believe that—
    o

• Jesus Christ is Heavenly Father’s Son and our Savior.
    o

• Joseph Smith is the prophet of God through whom the gospel was restored.
    o

• The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Jesus Christ’s true church.
    o

• We are led by a living prophet of God today.
    o

Help the children understand that through study and prayer they can gain a testimony that these things are true. Help them think of ways they can gain or strengthen their testimonies of these important principles.****************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Remind the children that living apostles are an important part of Jesus Christ’s church. Have the children look up Matthew 10:2–4 and read the names of Jesus’ original Twelve Apostles. Then show pictures of the current Twelve Apostles (from the meetinghouse library or Church magazines) and teach the children their names.

6. Help the children memorize the sixth article of faith. Point out that the Church today has all the positions mentioned in this article of faith, although we use different names for some of them (bishops instead of pastors and patriarchs instead of evangelists).

7. Have the children sing or say the words to “The Church of Jesus Christ” (Children’s Songbook, p. 77). As the children sing, have them listen for two things they know and five things they will do as members of the Church. List these things on the chalkboard; then have the children sing the song again.

Conclusion
    Testimony

**************Bear your testimony that Joseph Smith was the prophet through whom the church of Jesus Christ was restored to the earth. Express your gratitude for the many blessings the Church brings to your life. Allow the children to share ways the Church blesses their lives.********************
    Suggested Home Reading

Suggest that the children study Doctrine and Covenants 20:1–4 and 21:1–5 at home as a review of this lesson.
    Suggested Family Sharing

The Organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

On what day was the Church organized?

1. 12 June 1828

2. 6 April 1830

3. 13 September 1944

In what state of the United Stated was the Church organized?

1. Missouri

2. Ohio

3. New York

How many members did the Church need to have to be legally organized?

1. 6

2. 60

3. 600

**********List three ways in which the restored Church is the same as the church Jesus Christ organized when he was on the earth.***************

• Mary
    Mary
    I brought up:

blacks being agents of Satan (hahahahahahah!)

guess what the response was, "Well actually this goes back to Cain in the Bible, saying him and all his descendents will be marked."

He's full of crap. The Mormon's believe that the cursing of Canaan, not Cain, was justification for the black race to be enslaved because the bible said "Cursed be Cannan.....let him become the lowest slave to his brother."

Trouble is, the black race did not decend from Canaan----they decended from Cush. The decendents of Canaan became, guess what? Canannites! Therefore, their 'biblical support' of this stupid doctrine of theirs is null and void. Much like the rest of their teachings when examined closely.

• moshe
    moshe
    So, I put them to work raking leaves and bagging them.

Two young Mormon girls used to help out a lady down the street with her leaves- She never took the bait and they gave up. I had some good conversations with them about Mormonism as I passed by with my dog. Maybe they listened to me a little bit.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I was taking a friend back to his house this afternoon when lo and behold, whom did we see on the next street over? Yes, 2 Mormons on bicycles. My friend said: They remind me of people brainwashed. Look at them. They have the same type bikes; they are dressed alike; they have the same type helmets.

I wouldn't be surprised if they show up at my door in the near future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit