News from the Circuit Assembly

by ThomasCovenant 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Lunch in the car- to be fair, most JW's love the association of the circuit assemblies, but there
    are often practical matters that get in the way. Putting a cooler under the seat or next to your
    feet is very impractical. Many find it easier to leave the cooler in the trunk of the car. Going out
    to the car then running back to find seats has traditionally been difficult, so many just eat it at
    the car.

Some of the tables and seats are uncomfortable. I have been to assembly halls that have the
    fold up tables with tiny round seats included or a straight bench, both with no back and no
    cushion. Some assembly halls have not enough seats, so people are waiting for seats, and
    many are expected to rush and get out of the seats.

The car is comfortable if it isn't the dead of winter, there is no rush, the food was in the large
    cooler in the trunk (that they insisted not be taking up a seat). Also, not mentioned- if anyone
    left the compound to get fastfood, they don't want the JW's staring at them for their disobedience.

Thanks for sharing your observations.

• undercover
    undercover

For some reason, when I first read of the friends going out to their cars to eat, I pictured tailgate parties. Fire up the grill, cook up some burgers and other goodies, crack open some cold ones, raise your team flag and have a great big party.

Then I realized, that's how normal people eat when they bring picnics and have a couple of hours to kill with meals at their cars. Witnesses sit quietly in the car, choking down a hot peanut butter sandwich, washing it down with a lukewarm soda, hoping an elder doesn't see them and counsel them for missing out on upbuilding association inside.

• tere1998
    tere1998

Donations by credit card? Reminds me of some of the lyrics to one of my favorite songs - Spreading the Disease by Queensryche:

" Religion and sex are powerplays
    Manipulate the people for the money they pay
    Selling skin, selling God
    The numbers look the same on their credit cards"

• Mary
    Mary
    The 'brothers' were reminded at each of the three song breaks not to forget that they can now give donations by credit card. 3 times in one day!

And they have the nerve to whine about 'Babylon the Great' being greedy?

District Overseer was stressing that we mustn't get down thinking all the increase (what increase?) was only coming from the foreign language work. There is also increase in the English speaking field.

Ya......Those 5 that got baptized is a real testament to the notion that the increase is coming at leaps and bounds! Why, if this sort of increase keeps up, they'll have to split the circuits!

District Overseer also said that there is no heirarchy in London Bethel. If anything it's a lowerarchy.

Ya riiiight. That's why the R&F's knees bend the further up the scale you go.......One DO told a friend of mine a few years ago (when my friend, an MS, questioned him regarding a decision he had made), "....Don't you realize who I am?!" No......there's absolutely no hierarchy in this religion.

• tan
    tan
    So, we must be followers, yet no hierarchy exists? I guess when you follow other people around in a circle it really doesn't qualify as a hierarchy.

That was good...lol.

• heathen
    heathen

I wonder , what about people that leave all their possessions to the org. in their will , are they still expected to donate ? I'm guessing yes ..... Of course they'll be accused of holding back every time the electric bill shows up ........

• R.F.
    R.F.

I don't get as to why they would ask for donations via credit card when they seem to be so "anti-credit cards".

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

At our local SAD (Special Assembly Day) the other weekend, they announced about ways to donate - it felt a little guilt-trippy to me. Amazingly later they announced that the Circuit was in credit (for once). I thought about Russell's insistence that they would never 'solicit' funds and that when they did it was time to call it a day. I also thought, "Forget dancing around. Why not just pass a collection plate and have done with it."

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

IF I could, I would like to go to a DC and carry around a sign that says "Please, keep your zipper zipped" or "No cleavege, please" or something like that...just wear that blank look and carry the sign, in hand, about.

I think this would be a fun way to spend a few hours.....

V

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit