exiting the watchtower

by jacethespace 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Hi im new to this forum and am currently trying to exite the watchtower.For the past 12 months or more i have stopped going on the ministry.In august last year i stopped going to the meetings but depression kicked in and other symptoms and i returned to the meetings in april.I stopped going to the meetings again in july and did more research to see if this is a cult.But im having all sorts of symptoms.Confusion of whats right and wrong, panic attacks when i go out, one minute i hate the watchtower the next i wonder whether this is the truth and wonder if ive been mislead by satan.I dont know who to trust and where to go from here.And none of my family was ever in the watchtower so i think they know somethings going on but they can,t understand what im going through.Ive been in the watchtower since 1999 off and on, i finally got baptized in 2005 after what i thought was carefull examination of the truth.And whats worse is the elder i studied with when i came into the " truth" lives right next door to me with his wife, which plays all sorts of guilt trips on me and paranoia.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I was taught, by the JW's, "If in doubt, leave it out!" So I have done that since 1999.

Listen to your inner feelings. It says alot.

LINDA

• Dansk
    Dansk

Welcome, Jace.

We all know how you are feeling right now. It is a difficult decision to exit the Tower, especially when friends and family are still in. However, you sound very much like me and can't stand being lied to. Watchtower lied and that's all there is to it.

Here's my own story: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/47295/1.ashx

Best wishes,

Ian

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Welcome!!, I can't talk for very long (it's 7:10 am here) I going to work soon. I was raised in the WT and I also went trough some hard times. I would suggest going to seek some professional help and to mention that you were raised in a cult, yes it's a cult and no it's not Satan trying to get you ( that's the JW programing kicking in) don't worry things are going to get better just give yourself time and seek the right help. Hang in there, you came to the right place.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi jace, and welcome to the forum.

You've come to the right place for help and support. Like you,
    many of us have exited the watchtower, and gone through the
    same feelings that you are experiencing right now.

Two things to remember are that it is quite definitely not the
    truth - it's nothing more than a high control cult, and a dangerous
    one at that. The other thing is that the feelings you are experiencing
    now, though distressing, will pass in time. Most of us felt like you
    when we first left. It's all to do with the way we were taught as jws
    to see everything outside the organisation as evil and doomed to
    destruction.

Keep reading here and other sites, keep posting and, most important,
    stay away from the kingdom hall. Resist any attempts by jws to pull
    you back in, you will be happy that you did in the long run.

I see that you are from the West Midlands. I'm from Derby, in the East
    Midlands myself, so we are kind of neighbours.

Trev

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome Jace

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hi jace and welcome to the forum.

That inner voice you are hearing is God's spirit.

I heard Him for about 5 years before I finally listened.

I have been totally cult free going on 3 years now.

• poppers
    poppers

Welcome to the board. Listen to the very fine people here; they know your pain and confusion and the way out of it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My standard advice is to start looking at outside sources- the things they tell you to stay away from.
    Truth doesn't need to hide nor be afraid of research.

You can see if your library has any of the following:
    COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL by Steve Hassan
    CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE by Raymond Franz
    APOCALYPSE DELAYED
    APOCALYPE RECONSIDERED

You can also buy them on the internet at amazon, ebay, or freemind.org. Another great book from
    lulu.com is CAPTIVES OF A CONCEPT- downloadable for instant reading.

You can also search sites such as freeminds or jwfacts or many others (including this one).

There is plenty of time to do this. You shouldn't feel guilty if you feel the need to skip meetings or
    field service.

• V1710
    V1710

welcome to the forum jace. sorry to hear your going through such turmoil. there's nothing to feel guilty about, your doing what is right by getting out. you need your freedom. your in my thoughts and prayers. jeanette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit