Uniting American Families Act

by eisenstein 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

saywhat - LOL

Doesn't sound bad to me. If I could have a husband AND a wife I might just join the other team without leaving the one I'm on.

• maxwell
    maxwell

How about the government stop handing out marriage license/certificates at all. If you want to call yourself married, have your ceremony and go right ahead with whatever configuration you choose.

At least this was my most recent feeling. But I seem to remember some politician commenting that marriage automatically kicks in on the order of a 1000 automatic provisions between the government and two opposite gender people. If we required people to make all those agreements through normal means (contracts, power of attorney, etc.) would that complicate things more and create more government? Maybe, but as of now, I still think that would be a better solution. I doubt very many people are aware of everyone of those automatic agreements that they enter into when they sign a marriage license. It would be much more reasonable for people to be aware of each and every agreement they enter into. We could at least get rid of the divorce court industry. We already have plenty of courts to handle contractual disputes. But the expansion of the contractual law industry probably wouldn't absorb all the losses in the divorce industry, so there's a bunch of lawyers and judges who wouldn't like this idea. In fact, I'm surprised there aren't more of these so called "activist" judges and lawyers fighting to allow gay marriage. There should be no loss in the marriage ceremony industry. People can still buy diamonds, expensive dresses and spend tens of thousands of dollars on a one day party. There should be no loss in the honeymoon industry. Neither of these has anything to do with the government.

• eisenstein
    eisenstein

LOL

but on a serious note the laws surrounding the marriage of two consenting adults who want to create a civil union and enjoy all the blessings that come with it should be seriously revised.

eisenstein

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

I'm pretty sure that as long as people exist on this planet there will be homosexuals. I think maybe alot of us have experimented with gayness at some level of activity and if you can find happiness with a person it shouldn't matter what sex they are . I do have a problem with gays that act out with offensive gay stereotypes (i dont have spell check) Just be Gay! Dont try to proove how gay you are please .We all have a touch of gay so lets be real .Grown ups should be free to practice any safe respectful and peace abiding thing they wish. Cant we all just grow up?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well of course I show up to interject... its expected by now. Most bisexuals have one partner at a time. They are attracted to both sexes, but that doesn't mean they form trios. They are monogamous with the partner they fall in love with. Could be a woman, could be a man. If you are thinking of someone with more than one partner (one of each) you are either thinking polygamy or polymory. Totally different ball-game. (oops, no pun intended)...

anyway, lots of gay folk have issues with bi-sexuals too, for some reason. Lots of people think they just can't make up their minds or that they don't have the cajones to take the flak that comes with being out as a gay person. Took me a long time to figure it out and be comfortable with it myself. But I now have friends that are bisexual, we talk about this, and I have come to understand them better. I guess you fall in love with who you fall in love with.

Now back to topic... not only is it cumbersome and time consuming to try to avail yourself of the over 1,000 protections offered heterosexual unions, you have the problem of the enormous expense to arrive at close (you can't get there 100%) to the same protections.

And going back to Brown vs the Board of Education - the ruling was: Separate but equal does not mean equal. Same holds true for us. If you'd like to see how this affects people, check out: http://www.tencouples.org/ the second couple have been together for over 50 years.

Sherry

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    But I now have friends that are bisexual, we talk about this, and I have come to understand them better. I guess you fall in love with who you fall in love with.

I know several gay people who did not know they were gay until they fell in love after 30, with the same sex.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Polygamy = umbrella term

Polygyny = multiple wives
    Polyandry = multiple husbands

Polyamory = doesn't have to involve marriage at all, and usually doesn't

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit