How the Circuit Overseer Manipulates the Body of Elders

by TMS 31 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

The relationship between local elders and the circuit overseer has fluctuated over the years. In the sixties,
    the circuit overseer simply appointed all the servants. His recommendations were even written before meeting
    with the servant body. He would share his recommendations with them at that time and sometimes solicit their
    comments. He might adjust his recommendations based on what the servants said, but it was still his call.

In the early to mid-seventies with the introduction of the elder arrangement, the relationship changed. At one
    point the circuit overseer became "just another elder" with no more authority than the local men. This was
    during a time when many things were being relaxed including how disfellowshipped ones were treated. This
    perestroika was of short duration.

Since the mid-seventies the format has been something like this. The local elders meet about a week before
    the scheduled circuit overseer's visit to consider all possible recommendations for congregation responsibility.
    Typically, the scriptural requirements for ministerial servant and elder are read and each brother is compared
    to those requirements. The elders firm up their recommendations and these are given to the circuit overseer
    at the start of his visit. He can now observe those recommended, work in field service with them, critique
    their meeting parts, etc. When the circuit man meets with the local elders, he gives his observations on the
    men they have recommended. Unless there is some blatant failing like low field service hours, he usually rubber
    stamps the local elder's choices.

Now, let me give you an actual example of how a clever circuit overseer can circumvent these checks and balances
    and promote a man of his own choosing"

A prominent elder in the capital city of Arkansas "stepped down" from his responsibilities in the mid-80's.
    Don't jump on me about the terminology "stepped down" because it was still used then to avoid the stigma of
    deletion. This former elder moved into our congregation, which already had a large body of elders, most seasoned
    men. Soon, an odd letter came from the elder's former congregation. It stated that he had formed an emotional
    attachment to his secretary, a young sister in our congregation. The relationship had resulted in "some kissing".
    His tormented conscience had moved him to resign his position, but they now felt he had recovered enough
    spiritually to be used any way we saw fit.

In the pre-c.o. visit meeting, the body of elders considered this brother's situation carefully. We knew him well.
    We also had known the young sister all her life. We chose not to act hastily and recommend this brother.

Fast forward to our meeting with the circuit overseer. He noticed our recommendations did not include Brother N.
    He listened carefully to our reservations and said he respected our position. He made us aware of his private visit
    with Brother N. He found him "utterly remorseful to the point of tears." He suggested we reconsider our non-recommendation.
    One older brother spoke up, wondering how such a quick reappointment would effect the young girl and her mother. The CO
    quickly took that bull by the horns. He asked the older brother if he would be willing to approach the young
    sister and her mother with the question: "Would it stumble you if Brother N. was appointed as an elder again?
    (I think he already knew the answer to that question.) The CO wanted to discuss this again after the Sunday
    meeting.

As you might suspect, in our elder's meeting late Sunday, this brother was recommended somewhat reluctantly. The skillful
    circuit overseer had set us up for it, even making it seem our decision.

Three weeks later, the appointment letter came back from Brooklyn. Brother N. was appointed an elder, but also City Overseer.
    Some time later, he was also appointed Assembly Overseer and Chairman of the Hospital Liaison.

tms

• oompa
    oompa

Good info. But I dont understand something. Did nobody ask her the question:

"Would it stumble you if Brother N. was appointed as an elder again?
    (I think he already knew the answer to that question.)

It seems like no big deal, and what is she said WTF?????

oompa

• TMS
    TMS

Oompa,

I'm not sure that I understand your question exactly. Do you mind spoonfeeding it to this old geezer?

Thanks,

tms

• Gregor
    Gregor

So this bastard C.O. pushed through the re-appointment of this kisser of womenfolk?

In the years I was an elder we looked upon the C.O. as the tangible link between us and Brooklyn. He was consulted on tricky judicial committee matters (..."he touched her breast...didn't actually put it in...very much") and his word was almost as good as being printed in the Watchtower. Near the end of my period of enchantment with the WTS we had a corndog C.O. come along that told us some things he was going to say in his closing remarks to the congregation that I could not abide. I spoke up to his face in the elder meeting and he backed off. I then phoned the elders he was going to visit in his next two visits and gave them a heads up. After this I wrote a letter to the Society and told what had transpired and included my resignation as an elder. They accepted my resignation in a letter to the elders without directly communicating with me. Last I heard the C. O. was back being a regular elder.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It sounds like the co/society needed this guy quite a lot, thus the fast tracking.

S

• TMS
    TMS

Gregor: "So this bastard C.O. pushed through the re-appointment of this kisser of womenfolk?

I suspect, Gregor, that his offenses may have been understated a bit.

tms

• changeling
    changeling

I thought your story would end like this: "And all al long the brother and his secretary were having a red hot love affair"

changeling

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

typical,

happens in the workplace all the time.

a reason for me just quitting the job at the hospitol.

thanks for sharing the story, now i get to have fun trying to figure out who this guy is !!!!

purps

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In my experiences, the C.O. rubber stamps only when he doesn't know any better.
    If he has an opinion, he pushes his opinion through. If the BOE is not unanimous, and
    the C.O. wants to recommend someone, he insists on talking down to those that are
    against the appointment, asking whether they fit the requirements perfectly. If he is
    against the guy, he talks down to everyone who was for the appointment, asking if
    they gave enough consideration to the negatives brought up.

Even if a unanimous body recommends someone, if the C.O. thinks NO, he will try
    to cause the body to unrecommend the brother. He will talk and talk on his reasons
    until the kiss-asses feel they must obey. If a brother is not recommended, and he
    wants him appointed, well, that's harder but he will try to tackle it.

I have seen some elders not cave in to C.O. pressure. Some C.O.'s do not like
    recommendations that are not unanimous. In the rare cases where the elder did not
    back down, I have heard the C.O. say that he would withdraw the recommendation, but
    expects the elder to address the situation or step aside himself. THAT'S BULLYING.

C.O.'s seem to be dictators right now. I have even seen them criticize something about
    the "look" of the Kingdom Hall, and the brothers would change the look. Some BOE
    know that they are really in charge of decisions, but they always bow to the C.O.
    except for that rare event as described in paragraph above. One C.O. bullied a BOE to
    change the Presiding Overseer. Only one brother felt it was a good thing to do until the
    C.O. kept insisting on his view. Eventually, he got a majority to agree with him.

• TMS
    TMS

OntheWayOut,

You've certainly filled in some of the gaps in my descriptions. I've seen the bullying you describe. Sometimes elders who disagree with the majority are asked to write a supplementary letter detailing their view of matters.

Yes, I've seen circuit overseers take one quick look at a perfectly functional Kingdom Hall and mandate design changes the cost of which would build several third world Kingdom Halls.

Years ago, when I dared to question a C.O. on something, a couple of the a** kisses you describe, approached me about "disrespect of a circuit overseer."

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit