How the Circuit Overseer Manipulates the Body of Elders

by TMS 31 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I hated "the dog and pony show", that would go on during CO visits. The people that weren't there since the Memorial or last assembly would show up, be early, AND comment!!! Then the elders were practically on their knees every time the CO was around. Every retarted, dry humored joke they would tell was thought to be the funniest thing ever (apparently they never heard of Richard Pryor). People would always line up in droves to work with the CO in service or take him to lunch, then they'd act like the big cheese.

My dad and I used to crack up at this behavior when I was a youngster. This all changed after dad became an elder, and was buying the COs suits, meals, gadgets, etc. I was repulsed by the behavior, realizing my own, rebellious fireball old man had become a company man. He still was a fireballer to the local BOE, but everytime the CO came around, he was just like a lap dog.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

Pretty sure I know who "Brother N" is and while I'll say he was a competent individual, he was also a jerk. He did know how to conduct himself around the heavy hitters which is probably what got him through this whole deal. I'll also say that the traits breed true.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    I hated "the dog and pony show", that would go on during CO visits. The people that weren't there since the Memorial or last assembly would show up, be early, AND comment!!! Then the elders were practically on their knees every time the CO was around. Every retarted, dry humored joke they would tell was thought to be the funniest thing ever (apparently they never heard of Richard Pryor). People would always line up in droves to work with the CO in service or take him to lunch, then they'd act like the big cheese.

That always bothered me too. It would make me think of how Jebus would describe the Pharisees.

My dad and I used to crack up at this behavior when I was a youngster. This all changed after dad became an elder

Same here, now my dad is a pioneer so he is part of the kiss ass group now.

• TMS
    TMS

Fanghorn:

"Pretty sure I know who "Brother N" is and while I'll say he was a competent individual, he was also a jerk. He did know how to conduct himself around the heavy hitters which is probably what got him through this whole deal. I'll also say that the traits breed true."

Your characterization fits. N's act may not have worked in other parts of the country. But in a small, southern state with many of the brotherhood humble, self-effacing by nature, N's authoritative posture frequently passed as genuine knowledge and competence. Some did snicker at the almost legendery shallowness & insincerity but tolerated it somewhat on the basis of "Jehovah using him." Some teenagers mocked him because of his frequent habit of asking you a question and walking off as you started a response. Another habit was to look at his watch if someone else tried to make a point.

One of the quirks of JWism is how people like "Brother N" are like one of those inflatable punching dummies. They get knocked down and bounce right back up. Others get stymatized for life with one minor indiscretion.

tms

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

OnTheWayOut,

What you described is how it is most of the time with appointments. Our unanimous reccomendations were talked down by the CO all the time and yes the "kiss asses" usually said something like "... you know now that I reason on it, it is too soon" or some B.S. like that. Holy spirit plays no role in appointments of MS's and elders.

• minimus
    minimus

Great thread!

I think in many cases the CO is following the Society's dictates. Remember, the Society is his boss. "It's who ya know..."

• oompa
    oompa
    TMS: He asked the older brother if he would be willing to approach the young
    sister and her mother with the question: "Would it stumble you if Brother N. was appointed as an elder again?
    (I think he already knew the answer to that question.)

Did you elders ask the sister and her mother the question above? How did they feel?.........................oompa

• memphisbelle
    memphisbelle

I think in many cases the CO is following the Society's dictates. Remember, the Society is his boss. "It's who ya know..." Very insightful comment !! when I was first attending the local meetings, one of my friends (an MS) told me something that took me a number of years to completely figure out: "When you finally decide to reach out in the congregation, remember that it doesn't matter' what you know, or what you do. The important aspect that will be noticed is who you know, and what THEY do."

• hoser
    hoser

I have a story about how it all works.

Brother H was a pioneer, elder and gave talks on the conventions and assemblies. He was a very polished speaker and very zealous for the truth. He would move to congregations where there was a need for elders. He was in our little congregation and was moving on to another after being there for a couple of years.

The remaining elder body consisted of two older brothers and they would not give brother H a recommendation letter to serve. It turns out that brother H was taking advantage of some of the older brothers and sisters financially to enrich himself.

The circuit overseer was good buddies with brother H and came specially to meet with the two older elders. They made the co aware of their reservations. Circuit overseer said that's not how it works in the organization. He wrote a letter of recommendation and forced the two elders hands by threatening to close the congregation.

Fast forward a few years brother H is caught cheating on his wife with a younger pioneer sister and his wife rats him out to the authorities and he is charged with embezzling money.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    TMS - "...a clever circuit overseer can circumvent these checks and balances and promote a man of his own choosing..."

Honestly, I don't think it takes too much cleverness. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit