Questions about the rules of marriage

by Agnes 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Agnes
    Agnes

I have a couple of questions for you. 1. Can a Witness (in good standing) remarry if his or her spouse (also in good standing) dies ? 2. Can a Witness who is married to a non-Witness, divorce and re-marry, if he/she for example is an abusive alcoholic? Thanks in advance. Agnes

• BrentR
    BrentR

Yes to both of them unless some "new light" has come out in the last 24 yrs.

• oompa
    oompa

1. absolutely

2. No on the second one if they want to remain a JW. Unless of course the drunk does anything naughty sexually. Then they can remarry and stay a JW. Only sex misconduct will free the JW to remarry.

feel like an elder....oompa

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    1. Can a Witness (in good standing) remarry if his or her spouse (also in good standing) dies ?

Yes. Someone will cite the scripture. Totally free to remarry.

2. Can a Witness who is married to a non-Witness, divorce and re-marry, if he/she for example is an abusive alcoholic?

A JW should not, but is free to divorce for whatever reason. They will lose most every privilege in the
    congregation for doing so, but many do it anyway. A JW is not free to remarry unless the spouse
    committed adultery or officially rejects their former mate after the divorce by marriage or fornication.
    Often, the elders want proof, but sometimes they just take the JW's word for it.

In this case, just tell the elders that the worldly mate did commit adultery, but the divorce was one of
    convenience.

• BrentR
    BrentR

My non-JW dad was being abusive to my mom and she came close to divorcing him. I asked her how she proposed to do that w/o being DF'd. She explained to me that if the spouse threatens your spirituality then you can get a divorce. But for all I know they may have changed it again since then. They have have been known to that at times.

• oompa
    oompa

Brent, you are correct. They can get a divorce alright, but unless there is a little woowoo action, they can not get remarried without elder problems. Cause then it's like SINNING!

dont cha love it?.....oompa

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Ommpa is right Brent, no proof of adultery, no remarriage for a JW. Abuse and torment give you the right to leave, but not to re-marry.

• oompa
    oompa

Sweetstuff sure knows her woowoo rules!!!!.....oompa

• changeling
    changeling

What OTWO said.

changeling

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks for the clarification! She left out the not re-marrying part in her explaination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit