What was your first car?

by nicolaou 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

1972 Chevrolet Impala- Lots o' fun in that mobile!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/1972_Chevrolet_Impala_Side.JPG/800px-1972_Chevrolet_Impala_Side.JPG

• Dagney
    Dagney

When this car was new, I fell in love with it. I went by the dealer and picked up a brochure, etc. I was 17 yrs old and there was no way on this earth I could have bought one but I became semi obsessed with it. I even phoned the dealer and talked to a salesman about how much down and what would the payments be, etc. Typical teenage boy car crush. Thanks for the jogging the memory.

Hi Gregor!

It was 10yrs old when we purchased from a bro in the cong. I was 16. We use to race all the time around here, luckily we all lived to tell about it. One bro had a GTO and we'd race, and my BF had a Firebird and we raced from Long Beach to Newport and back along the coast. Now we'd all be in jail. LOL

It was a two door with all that pretty vinyl they used to make in the old days. Power everything. I'm telling you...it beat them all. Quite fun.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is not my first car, but my sister's first car. The time circa 1971 and she decides to buy a 12 year old cadillac from a preacher. The car was cool, but was a piece of junk. Lasted a year or so.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

1974 Cheverolet Vega that I bought from my dad for $275. It was lime green with blue fenders and front bumper from a different Vega of the same year.

A judge once vacated a traffic ticket for going 80 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. I told him what kind of car I had, and that it shook bolts loose at 60 MPH. He balled up the ticket and tossed it in the trash.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Commodore VH SL/E sedan, 1983 model very much like the picture below (except mine wasn't missing the front grill). Didn't have the daggy seat covers either or the dust.

V8 253 engine, twin carbie, auto... loved it!

alt

• bubble
    bubble

I had a little mustard coloured Mini 850. I even remember the number plate - CDD 527K.

I loved that car and I named her Fifi.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Mine was a 1959 Morris Minor, which I bought in 1969,
    just after my 18th birthday

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

One of these, but it was painted in grey Hammerite and had a baby-seat rivitted to the floor in the back;

... I got it handed on to me by my brother. Wonderful little piece-of-shit, easy to work on although you needed hands like an 8 year-old to get at the distributor easily... got stolen eventually... 80mph flat-out, but so close to the ground it alway felt fast.

Then it was Audi 80 (stolen and written off), Ford Grenada (MkII) 2.6l V6 (bought it off my dad, gave to ex-wife when we split-up, it died of old age). That actually almost had something you could call 'performance'. Then a Ford Grenada (MkIII) 2.0l (another one I bought off my dad, it got scrapped), which was horrid. And now a Skoda Fabia, the only thing I have had from new.

It's a company car so basically I drive it like a bumper car. Got it up to almost 190kph (120mph) a few weeks ago on an autobahn in Germany (on a steep hill, jumping up and down and blowing at the windscreen) which isn't bad for an engine with less power than a SUV's AC unit...

Looking forward to being in SF this weekend and driving an American car. I've got a Chevy Impala, what are they like? From my experience driving American cars (a half dozen and a few thousand miles) you guys seem to like softer springs, soggier steering and bigger engines than we normally have over here but the cars are great for driving in the US.

What's the speed limit in CA nowadays?

• mrsroller
    mrsroller

I got my first car when I was 16 and it was a little red 1986 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible.

I've had the car for 9 years and we still have it covered up in our yard awaiting repair.

RollerDave, his daughter Angie and I had a lot of great times in that car!

Hopefully we'll get it running so we can enjoy it next summer:)

mrsroller

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

First vehicle I ever got to pick out is my current minivan. I love it. I researched all types of vans and we spent a few years looking for one the right price and model. Pontiac Montana with all the bells and whistles. I can pack all the kids and their stuff into her and I get all my groceries in one trip.

Bobbi(yes, I am a your typical soccer mom)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit