when did "new light" teaching start. What goof was covered?What a CYA idea!

by oompa 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

I am so sick of JW's thinking all past errors (false teaching) are no big deal cause we have "NEW "LIGHT " on the matter now. Recently even my elder/dad said he wonded at times if some of our past teachings that did not pan out could be considered "false teaching!!!" I got excited and instead of saying "DUHHH", just said it seemed like it could be, and that is how/why we examine the pasts of other religions as well.

When did this start and who cooked it up if you know....even dad says he can find no scriptures that really indicate this premise...oompa

• RebelWife
    RebelWife

Good for Dad. Yeah, when did it start and what was the first thing they used it to cover up?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

As Don Cameron explains in "Captives Of A Concept," the "new light" doctrine is based on a faulty interpretation of Proverbs 4:18.

here are verses 1 through 19 of Proverbs 4:

Listen, O sons, to the discipline of a father and pay attention, so as to know understanding. 2 For good instruction is what I certainly shall give to YOU. My law DO not leave. 3 For I proved to be a real son to my father, tender and the only one before my mother. 4 And he would instruct me and say to me: “May your heart keep fast hold of my words. Keep my commandments and continue living. 5 Acquire wisdom, acquire understanding. Do not forget, and do not turn aside from the sayings of my mouth. 6 Do not leave it, and it will keep you. Love it, and it will safeguard you. 7 Wisdom is the prime thing. Acquire wisdom; and with all that you acquire, acquire understanding. 8 Highly esteem it, and it will exalt you. It will glorify you because you embrace it. 9 To your head it will give a wreath of charm; a crown of beauty it will bestow upon you.” 10 Hear, my son, and accept my sayings. Then for you the years of life will become many. 11 I will instruct you even in the way of wisdom; I will cause you to tread in the tracks of uprightness. 12 When you walk, your pace will not be cramped; and if you run, you will not stumble. 13 Take hold on discipline; do not let go. Safeguard it, for it itself is your life. 14 Into the path of the wicked ones do not enter, and do not walk straight on into the way of the bad ones. 15 Shun it, do not pass along by it; turn aside from it, and pass along. 16 For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. 17 For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. 18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling.

The WTB&TS says that verse 18 is all about progressive revelation. They have never bothered to explain why the so-called "light" flickers on and off, or how what was once "new light" become HERESY within a few short years.

"New light" covers a multitude of sins.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Didn't they used to use the term "current truth"? I think that term is used in one of the Kingdom songs--just can't find it right now.

• greendawn
    greendawn

"Current truth" what a disgusting term it clearly implies that the truth changes and rather frequently for that matter and this exposes a cultic frame of mind.

The truth never changes and the new light doctrine is just a cheap pretext to cover their ineptitude in interpreting the Bible plus the intentional distortions made to advance their interests. It is cultic manipulation at its best.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The term is "present truth" and was used in Russell's day (if not even earlier). The phrase is also used by many other modern Bible Student and Adventist groups.

Now, let's stretch our legs and join in song:

Song 91

Taught by Jehovah

(Isaiah 54:13)
    1. Jehovah sends out light and truth; He is our Grand Instructor. He leads his sheep so patiently As their Divine Conductor. His time has come for all to learn That he is the Supreme One, Who lovingly provides instruction That the meek ones does bestir. His Master Worker, Jesus Christ, Was greatest of earth’s teachers. He spoke the things his Father taught, Explaining Kingdom features. As chicks are gathered by a hen, He seeks in love to help all men. Today he teaches, just as then, The sheeplike ones within his pen.

2. Jehovah gives us shepherds too, Who strive to teach with insight. Their educated tongue reflects That in their heart they’re upright. The weary ones they seek to help. Unruly ones they counsel By teaching what is true and right; In this Jehovah takes delight. Taught by Jehovah now we are; His Son directs the teaching. A priv’lege we indeed do have As truth our hearts is reaching. If fondness in our hearts will burn For those who for the truth do yearn, It’s by proclaiming all we learn, They may to God in worship turn. 3. "Come, learn about Jehovah God," That is our invitation. A teaching work is under way That promises salvation. By printed page and word of mouth, The good news of God’s Kingdom Is being preached throughout the earth To ev’ry tribe and nation. As fellow workers, we have need In faith to be progressing And keep in step with present truth, His Kingdom to be stressing. And soon through Christ’s Millennial Reign, The resurrected ones will gain Instruction so they may attain To perfect life in earth’s domain.
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Now, let's stretch our legs and join in song:

Song 91

Being

TaughtbyJehovah

(Isaiah 54:13)

1. Jehovah sends out light and truth;

He is our Grand Instructor.

He leads his sheep so patiently

As their Divine Conductor.

LMAO @ Nathan!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Watchtower has always used this concept. Apparenlty it comes from Barbour, who used this concept to justify why the end did not come as predicted in 1874, two years before he was joined by Russell.

Russell uses this concept in the beginning of Studies in the Scriptures, Series 3 - Thy Kingdom Come 1916 Edition THE AUTHOR'S FOREWORD;

“"Although we disclaim anything akin to inspiration in connection with these STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES, nevertheless we are glad that because we are in the dawning of the New Dispensation, the light of Truth is shining so clearly and the Divine Plan is so manifest that scarcely a word of the Volume would need to be changed if it were written today -26 years later.”

http://jwfacts.com/index_files/light.htm

• greendawn
    greendawn

One more thing they got from Barbour, do the dubs know how much the WTS is an offshoot of the adventists still carrying on their end of times hysteria? Even so they should be able to discern what is adding knowledge to an already existing body of knowledge and what trashing it altogether means. Old light simply means erroneous interpretation and doctrinal incompetence.

• oompa
    oompa

Thanks for the input. I just googled the WT CD and there is no "current truth" hit, but there are several "present truth hits. However, JWFACTS post mentions only " light of Truth is shining so clearly" and not the progressively brighter and new light point. Some of the CD hits are from more modern wt's that quote from late 1800s to 1908. I do think "present truth" would indicate that it could change later, but still have not been able to track down first old truth (lie/false teaching) covered by "new light".

cant get rid of the bold after c/p....oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit