Writing private letters to the Society.

by spectromize 77 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Waiting,

Thank you. You have expressed my frustration in this admirably.

Never did I suspect that having an opinion on an issue would generate such a belligerent response.

(sigh) I guess I shouldn't express the opinion that I think French Vanilla tastes better than plain coffee.

And, Friend, the basis for my opinion is simply my feeling of what is considerate and appropriate. I would NEVER just show up at anyone's house even if they wrote and asked me a question. I would ALWAYS let them know when I was coming. I simply appreciate the same consideration from others....whether it is individuals or corporations. I think I've expressed this several times before. If this explanation is insufficient for you....well....that's what it is.

I am truly sorry at this point that I EVER attempted to hash this out with you. I am NOT sorry that I added my support to those who feel as I do and who were bothered by an unannounced visit from the local elders.

I did not, nor do I now, consider this a matter for debate, and yet you persist in trying to push me into one.

I have also wondered why you choose to debate everything, and yet you have never once stated what YOU feel or believe.

You have made statements, and when someone offers a counter argument, you simply reply with "that's not what I believe".

That's fine, but it's frustrating for those with whom you are presumably conversing.

• 3acrewood
    3acrewood

I, for one, have grown bored with all of this. It's no different than sitting around listening to my two teenagers snipe at each other all day! As Dorothy Gale said, "The next time I decide to go seeking my heart's desire, I won't look any further than my own backyard -- because if it isn't there, I'm not going to find it anywhere ...

There's no place like home ...

Goodbye all.

• Friend
    Friend

RedhorseWoman

And, Friend, the basis for my opinion is simply my feeling of what is considerate and appropriate.

Thanks for that answer to my question.

I have also wondered why you choose to debate everything, and yet you have never once stated what YOU feel or believe.

Debating is part of our growth. The day we stop debating is the day it is all over. I think that is the very reason that many find themselves today in awkward circumstances. If they had debated issues—even in their own mind—they would be standing on firmer ground as a result. Lack of debate breeds insecurity. Debating reinforces and creates new depths to our convictions and person.

As for talking about my beliefs, I have no problem doing that. I find it odd that you mention that because you have never once asked outright for my view of this whole affair as if that mattered to you. One reason that I have lately participated on this forum is because after reading some of the distortions and fallacious reasoning I just could not help but ask you all to justify some of your opinions. I see that that was a bad idea. I see so many here satisfied with their opinions regardless of facts that I have lately reconsidered my participation. I am not sure who is loosing out, you or me; I think probably both of us. Me because I enjoy observing how people think.

You have made statements, and when someone offers a counter argument, you simply reply with "that's not what I believe".

No, that is not what I do. You have only experienced me saying "that’s not what I believe" because of your misrepresentations of me. My argument you have either completely misunderstood or ignored—that assumes that you recognize an argument when you see one.

For the record, I appreciate all of your views. I have also enjoyed watching how you respond. For me everything is a learning experience. If that reminds anyone of their father or someone else about whom they hold some king of critical view, just remember, I am a person too. Like you, I am entitled to personality, disposition and opinions of my own. I am also entitled to speak accordingly. Those who are critical of that are being critical of themselves.

To those who find me offensive, I challenge that you ask yourself why that is. It does not matter to me, but it should matter a great deal to you. Usually insecurity comes from within rather than being instilled.

Please be assured that you have in no way offended me. For any offense I have cause you, I apologize. That was not my intent.

Like it or not, your
    Friend

Edited by - Friend on 8 June 2000 22:43:37

• Friend
    Friend

waiting

You are a fascinating opponent, as in opposer. Why, again I ask, do you perceive yourself as our Teacher?

It is not bad to be an opposer. I am sure you will agree that sometimes being an opposer is the moral high ground.

I do not perceive myself as your teacher. If you perceive anyone as your teacher then most likely you have either learned something from them or else you feel you need one.

Like you, I am clumsily making my way through life, which for me is probably not going to go on for much longer. During that process I try to learn and share as much as possible. In the end how much and what we share of ourselves is our measure as a person. If I have shared too much here and it has somehow caused offense then I am sorry for that. On the other hand if my sharing has helped anyone then I have increased my measure as a person.

Friend

• waiting
    waiting

Friend: "Why I Find You Offensive"

1. You belittle any person's post you answer.

2. You are the embodiment of condescension.

3. You denigrate the person and the thought.

4. You do not teach, you tear apart.

5. You overuse quotes.

6. You absolutely never upbuild.

7. You do not give companionship, like a friend.

8. You are sanctimonious.

9. You viewed us as lacking - and decided to set us straight.

10. I do not trust your intentions - there is a falsness in your words. Friends do not treat friends like you treat us.

Edited by - waiting on 9 June 2000 20:17:39

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

EUREKA!!!!

Friend,

I have not been offended by you, I have simply been frustrated. I had expressed the basis for my opinion several times, although not in those exact words.

I disagree that debating is necessary for growth. Debating to me is simply trying to prove a point just for the sake of proving that point.

If, by debate, you infer discussion, sharing of knowledge, and learning....then I agree with you.

To be perfectly honest, I never asked for your beliefs because I noticed that others had asked direct questions of you, and you did not seem to care to divulge your beliefs or feelings. My impression was that you were more interested in stirring up a rousing battle. If this is in error, I apologize.

No, that is not what I do. You have only experienced me saying "that’s not what I believe"
    because of your misrepresentations of me. My argument you have either completely
    misunderstood or ignored—that assumes that you recognize an argument when you see one.

I was not referring to our recent "discussion" when I made this point. I have seen you make this statement in several other threads, in which, I might add, I chose not to participate. And, for the record....why the snide comment about recognizing an argument when I see one?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    During that process I try to learn and share as much as possible.
    In the end how much and what we share of ourselves is our measure as a person. If I
    have shared too much here and it has somehow caused offense then I am sorry for that.

Sharing generally is a good thing. Taking something you feel is what a person needs and force-feeding it to them generally results in choking.

Please feel free to share. Please do not badger.

• Friend
    Friend

RedhorseWoman

I disagree that debating is necessary for growth. Debating to me is simply trying to prove a point just for the sake of proving that point.

If, by debate, you infer discussion, sharing of knowledge, and learning....then I agree with you.

Debate can be painful but it can bring rich rewards. Debating is all that you mentioned. It is proving a point, discussion, sharing of knowledge and learning. (Actually I prefer the idea of evidencing a point versus proving a point. Proof is an elusive thing. Most often we conclude with the best information available, which is usually short of the absoluteness of proof.)

To be perfectly honest, I never asked for your beliefs because I noticed that others had asked direct questions of you, and you did not seem to care to divulge your beliefs or feelings.

Like everyone else, I also have beliefs and feelings that are dear to me.

My impression was that you were more interested in stirring up a rousing battle. If this is in error, I apologize.

I have no interest in stirring up a rousing battle. On the other hand, if I see distortion of truth I will jump in there with the best of them and present my case. Most often taking umbrage are the distortionists. I am not too concerned about winning or losing. I am more concerned that accuracy prevails.

I appreciate your candor and accept your apology for what it is, just two persons getting to know one another better. Thanks.

[W]hy the snide comment about recognizing an argument when I see one?

LOL. I have a bad habit of trying to be thorough. That "snide" remark was not intended as such. It was intended to just cover all the possibilities.

Sharing generally is a good thing. Taking something you feel is what a person needs and force-feeding it to them generally results in choking.

Please feel free to share. Please do not badger.

That is a concept with which I struggle. It is extremely difficult for me to become choked or feel badgered on a forum such as this. True, there is a measure of interactiveness, but in most respects forums such as this are like reading something in a magazine. I read all kinds of idiotic nonsense everyday; it is unavoidable. Yet I do not feel force fed because I can just ignore it. If I am pressed on some issue of importance to me then I respond with my convictions and bases for them. If my bases are demonstrated as inaccurate and I learn something new then I am happy that it happened to me.

Please do not let this disagree with you, but on forums such as this I find that persons who feel force-fed or badgered are those who find that their views are based upon emotion rather than reality. No one here is required to respond or evidence anything. I think the frustration comes when evidencing some claim becomes less and less likely. You have opined that I should share my beliefs and that is one of them.

I do not want to continue discussing issue with anyone if that makes them feel uncomfortable. In their case I would rather just learn about them. Later if an occasion arises for discussion of issues between us then we will see about that at that time. Perhaps by then a better understanding or personalities will aid toward avoiding needless frustration and anger.

Friend

• Friend
    Friend

waiting

Friend: "Why I Find You Offensive"

Thank you. If you had left out the formatting it would have made for a quite nice poem.

I appreciate frankness.

Friend

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Friend,

Thank you for your response. I can understand your interest in engaging others in "verbal jousting", shall we say, in order to resolve an issue. It can be quite enlightening and stimulating.

However, my feeling on this board, unlike H2O where debates seem to be a matter of course, is that it is more like a casual get together of friends.

When written words are not accompanied by facial expressions and verbal inflections, it is very difficult to gauge exactly what the person is trying to accomplish.

I hope that you will share your feelings and beliefs with us and let us get to know you as a person first.....then a jousting partner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit