post the OT scripture that you find most disturbing.

by oompa 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bryan
    Bryan

Thanks, that's it. So the rapists didn't killer... her "owner" killed her after she was raped all night.

Praise Jah!

bryan

• Bryan
    Bryan

Actually, I don't think this is it.

I remember it as two angels came in to the man's house (a man oh Jah). The man said "take my daughters, they are virgins".

Does this sound familiar?

Thanks,

Bryan

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Genesis 11:6 And the Lord said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Got that from Wiki I dunno what the translation is. Even when I was a witness I didn't like it. God preventing man's progress just because? That's just not right.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Bryan you're referring to the story of Lot. He was in Sodom (maybe Gomorrah), and the angels came to get him out of there before God destroyed the cities. When Lot took them in as guests the townspeople told him to bring them out so that they might "know them" i.e. have sex with them, so Lot being the good host that he was offered his virgin daughters to the mob instead of his guests.

Here we go:
    Genesis 19:5-10 (New International Version) New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society [NIV at IBS] [International Bible Society] [NIV at Zondervan] [Zondervan]

5 They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Lot's wife getting killed just for looking back at her former prosperity. Joshua having trouble routing innocent people that are defending themselves from an initiatory attack, just because someone usurped instead of destroying some value that was left behind. David getting praise for killing tens of thousands of innocent people just for not sacrificing their belongings and their freedom for a God that initiates force to get people to worship Him. Cain's sacrifice not being acceptable even though he had no sheep to offer (what was Cain to do, steal a sheep from Abel to sacrifice?). God complaining when people offer lame or sick sheep for sacrifices when they are wasting material things to offer anything at all.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Gotcha'

I knew it sounded like Lot, but I thought it was a different one with virgins being taken.

Thanks,

Bryan

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Actually, I don't think this is it.

I remember it as two angels came in to the man's house (a man oh Jah). The man said "take my daughters, they are virgins".

Does this sound familiar?

You were combining the two.

This is the one about lot and his daughters. But the angels come to the rescue (By making them all blind... ?) in this one.

(Genesis 19:1-11) 19 Now the two angels arrived at Sod'om by evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sod'om. When Lot caught sight of them, then he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the earth. 2 And he proceeded to say: “Please, now, my lords, turn aside, please, into the house of YOUR servant and stay overnight and have YOUR feet washed. Then YOU must get up early and travel on YOUR way.” To this they said: “No, but in the public square is where we shall stay overnight.” 3 But he was very insistent with them, so that they turned aside to him and came into his house. Then he made a feast for them, and he baked unfermented cakes, and they went to eating. 4 Before they could lie down, the men of the city, the men of Sod'om, surrounded the house, from boy to old man, all the people in one mob. 5 And they kept calling out to Lot and saying to him: “Where are the men who came in to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have intercourse with them.” 6 Finally Lot went out to them to the entrance, but he shut the door behind him. 7 Then he said: “Please, my brothers, do not act badly. 8 Please, here I have two daughters who have never had intercourse with a man. Please, let me bring them out to YOU. Then do to them as is good in YOUR eyes. Only to these men do not do a thing, because that is why they have come under the shadow of my roof.” 9 At this they said: “Stand back there!” And they added: “This lone man came here to reside as an alien and yet he would actually play the judge. Now we are going to do worse to you than to them.” And they came pressing heavily in on the man, on Lot, and were getting near to break in the door. 10 So the men thrust out their hands and brought Lot in to them, into the house, and they shut the door. 11 But they struck with blindness the men who were at the entrance of the house, from the least to the greatest, so that they were wearing themselves out trying to find the entrance.

Something you may find interesting about this "rightous man" though:

(Genesis 19:30-38) 30 Later Lot went up from Zo'ar and began dwelling in the mountainous region, and his two daughters along with him, because he got afraid of dwelling in Zo'ar. So he began dwelling in a cave, he and his two daughters. 31 And the firstborn proceeded to say to the younger woman: “Our father is old and there is not a man in the land to have relations with us according to the way of the whole earth. 32 Come, let us give our father wine to drink and let us lie down with him and preserve offspring from our father.” 33 So they kept giving their father wine to drink during that night; then the firstborn went in and lay down with her father, but he did not know when she lay down and when she got up. 34 And it came about on the next day that the firstborn then said to the younger: “Here I lay down with my father last night. Let us give him wine to drink tonight also. Then you go in, lie down with him, and let us preserve offspring from our father.” 35 So they repeatedly gave their father wine to drink during that night also; then the younger got up and lay down with him, but he did not know when she lay down and when she got up. 36 And both the daughters of Lot became pregnant from their father. 37 In time the firstborn became mother to a son and called his name Mo'ab. He is the father of Mo'ab, to this day. 38 As for the younger, she too gave birth to a son and then called his name Ben-am'mi. He is the father of the sons of Am'mon, to this day.

In short, his daughters wanted children, so they got him drunk and had sex with him.

Lot: "Yes, I realize that it was probably kinda creepy to have sex with my own daughters, but I have a wonderful excuse: I was stone drunk at the time!!!"

Lore - If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The first one I came across when I started reading the Bible in my early JW time (I was about 14) is Exodus 21:20f:

When a slave owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property.

I must have annoyed my congregation elders a lot with questions about this and other texts...

The strange thing is that such questioning drove me very close to the exit door back then, but after a while I forgot almost all of it in a desperate effort to be a good JW nonetheless...

• Clam
    Clam

There are plenty of disturbing scriptures. Sweetstuff's Judges 19 has certainly got to be up there as one of the worst. Slightly disturbing, but more totally irrational is the following -

Noah, a man of the soil, was the first to plant a vineyard. He drank some of the wine and became drunk, and he lay uncovered in his tent. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father's nakedness. When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, he said, "Cursed be Canaan; lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers." He also said, "Blessed by the Lord my God be Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave." (Genesis 9:20-27 NRSV)

What on earth is that all about? Noah goes on a bender, strips off and crashes on his bed. Ham pops into his tent and sees his father spreadeagled and showing off his family jewels, so he tiptoes out and tells his brothers. They in turn walk backwards (LOL) into Noah's tent and cover him up. Noah wakes up with a steaming hangover and after having a big strop condemns poor old Canaan to a life of slavery.

Go figure.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I find the Acts 5:1-13 verses very distubing. "Ananias and Sapphira being struck dead for holding back secretly some of the price of the field".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit