post the OT scripture that you find most disturbing.

by oompa 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gill
    Gill

The OT is an evil collection of boasts.

It takes the Nazi sympathiser's of 'I was only following orders' to the extreme, claiming the orders to perform such crimes come from God!

I find most of the Bible disturbing, from beginning to end!

What a nasty God and what nasty people who chose to follow his nasty commands!

• White Dove
    White Dove

All of the ones having to do with owning daughters and wives. Ownership of females and slaves really pisses me off!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Nvr, I think that was just sarcasm like taunting on the playground. Oh, look! He's become like one of us. Yeah, right.

• White Dove
    White Dove

All of the scriptures where god/moses orders the Israelites to not have mercy on anyone in a city but to kill man, woman, and child, old ones, too. That's just...no, no way that the god of the Bible is a loving god. No way!

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    I find most of the Bible disturbing, from beginning to end!

I agree with you Gill!! I too find that most of the Bible, especially the Old Testament, is extremely violent and disturbing.

And just adding my two cents to what others have already mentioned here. Whenever someone suggests that the Bible is a "moral" book for humankind, I'll tell them to go read Judges 19. Or the story of Lot. A man who gets drunk and then has sex with his daughters! Great role model for kids, don't you think!!!???

TCK

• tula
    tula

"...there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: 'Go up you bald head! Go up you baldhead!' Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number."- 2 Kings 2: 23, 24

Cyrus...I actually like that scripture. Instant revenge for name calling. But guess what happens to bald headed men when god gets angry with them.

• The Greek playwright Aeschylus was killed in 458 BC when an eagle dropped a live tortoise on him, mistaking his bald head for a stone.
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

(1

Samuel18:25-29) "25 At that Saul said: "This is what YOU men will say to David, ‘The king has delight, not in marriage money, but in a hundred foreskins of the Phi·lis´tines, to avenge himself on the enemies of the king.’" But as for Saul, he had schemed to have David fall by the hand of the Phi·lis´tines. 26 So his servants reported these words to David, and the matter was to David’s liking, to form a marriage alliance with the king, and the days had not yet expired. 27 So David rose and he and his men went and struck down among the Phi·lis´tines two hundred men, and David came bringing their foreskins and giving them in full number to the king, to form a marriage alliance with the king. In turn Saul gave him Mi´chal his daughter as a wife. 28 And Saul got to see and know that Jehovah was with David. As for Mi´chal, Saul’s daughter, she loved him. 29 And again Saul felt still more fear because of David, and Saul came to be an enemy of David always."
  • Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I KNOW IT HAS BEEN POSTED, BUT HERE'S THE ENTIRE ACCOUNT FROM WHEN THEY RAPED HER DOWN TO WHEN HER HUSBAND KILLED HER. I DON'T THINK HER ABUSERS KILLED HER, BECAUSE IN VERSE 25 SAYS THEY LET HER GO. I FOUND DISTURBING THE WORD RAVISH. IN THOSE DAYS, VISITORS WERE TAKEN CARE OF BETTER THAN FAMILY. GO FIGURE.

JUDGES 19:24-29
    24 " (O) Here is my virgin daughter and his concubine. Please let me bring them out that you may ravish them and do to them whatever you wish. But do not commit such an act of folly against this man."

25 But the men would not listen to him. So the man seized his concubine and brought her out to them; and they raped her and abused her all night until morning, then let her go at the approach of dawn.

26 As the day began to dawn, the woman came and fell down at the doorway of the man's house where her master was, until full daylight.

27 When her master arose in the morning and opened the doors of the house and went out to go on his way, then behold, his concubine was lying at the doorway of the house with her hands on the threshold.

28 He said to her, "Get up and let us go," (P) but there was no answer. Then he placed her on the donkey; and the man arose and went to his home.

29 When he entered his house, he took a knife and laid hold of his concubine and (Q) cut her in twelve pieces, limb by limb, and sent her throughout the territory of Israel.
  • ElectricJello
    ElectricJello

I cant remember which scripture, I think it was the one about Cora in the wilderness. Anyway, point is, it said something about putting the people in tents and pushing the swords through thier genitals as punishment. I was about 10 when I first heard this scripture and I leaned over to my Mum at the meeting and asked her what a genital is. You should have seen the look on her face. It was PRICELESS. But I honestly didnt know what it was. She just said she would tell me later. Never did though.

Once I found out what it was (I still think about that scripture when I hear the word "genital") I didnt understand why a god would allow such vile and violent acts to be committed in his name. Just stone them - dont desecrate their bodies.

• oompa
    oompa
    EX:

(1

Samuel18:25-29) "25 At that Saul said: "This is what YOU men will say to David, ‘The king has delight, not in marriage money, but in a hundred foreskins of the Phi·lis´tines, to avenge himself on the enemies of the king.’" But as for Saul, he had schemed to have David fall by the hand of the Phi·lis´tines. 26 So his servants reported these words to David, and the matter was to David’s liking, to form a marriage alliance with the king, and the days had not yet expired. 27 So David rose and he and his men went and struck down among the Phi·lis´tines two hundred men, and David came bringing their foreskins and giving them in full number to the king, to form a marriage alliance with the king. In turn Saul gave him Mi´chal his daughter as a wife. 28 And Saul got to see and know that Jehovah was with David. As for Mi´chal, Saul’s daughter, she loved him. 29 And again Saul felt still more fear because of David, and Saul came to be an enemy of David always."

Oh man I bet that looked like a plate of chitlins' or worse....oompa

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit