post the OT scripture that you find most disturbing.

by oompa 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

nvrgnbk-You posted the exact scripture I was thinking of. So much for that satan the father of the lie thing. What does this do for witnesses that say god created everything but the lie?

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101
    nvrgnbk-You posted the exact scripture I was thinking of. So much for that satan the father of the lie thing. What does this do for witnesses that say god created everything but the lie?

I dont see the lie you mention, please explain.. CS 101 PS some great verses that make the God of the Bible a pretty nasty piece of work!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I find disturbing the verses that ordered the Israelites to stone to death people that violated certain laws. I can't recall the verses but this was needlessly cruel. A habit still followed by Moslems in our days.

• oompa
    oompa

Started a thread and was too tired to get the scripture in. Here it is. Can you imagine taking your daughter to a regular circuit assembly (she was going to serve God!) only to have her 1. kidnapped, 2. violated/raped, 3. forced to marry her captor and bear his children. Interesting that they knew their internal knowledge of planned "festivals of Jehovah" to commit this crime.

it is early...1st cup of coffee....think I'm gonna puke......oompa

( Judges 21:19-23) 19 Finally they said: "Look! There is a festival of Jehovah from year to year in Shi´loh, which is to the north of Beth´el, toward the east of the highway that goes up from Beth´el to She´chem and toward the south of Le·bo´nah." 20 So they commanded the sons of Benjamin, saying: "Go, and YOU must lie in wait in the vineyards. 21 And YOU must look, and, there now, when the daughters of Shi´loh come on out to dance in circle dances, YOU must also come out from the vineyards and carry off for yourselves by force each one his wife from the daughters of Shi´loh, and YOU must go to the land of Benjamin.22 And it must occur that should their fathers or their brothers come to conduct a legal case against us, we also shall certainly say to them, ‘Do us a favor for their sakes, because we have not taken for each one his wife by war, for it was not YOU that did the giving to them at a time when YOU would become guilty.’" 23 Accordingly the sons of Benjamin did just that way, and they proceeded to carry off wives for their number from the women dancing around, whom they snatched away; after which they went off and returned to their inheritance and built the cities and took up dwelling in them.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Those are some good ones. Here is mine:

"...there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: 'Go up you bald head! Go up you baldhead!' Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number."- 2 Kings 2: 23, 24

Such a loving and merciful God! Let us worship and adore him!...before he barbeques our a$$

CyrusThePersian

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I dont see the lie you mention, please explain..

I'm not sure what you need explained.

Seriously.

I think it's rather clear.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Some of these could be "explained away" as being the misguided and/or evil doings of men, and that God didn't approve of what happened (although I guess he could have prevented it...).

So the ones I find most disturbing are the ones where God himself kills people (or wants to kill people) in a hissy fit:

(2. Samuel 6:6-10, KJV)"And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth [his hand] to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook [it]. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for [his] error; and there he died by the ark of God.And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perezuzzah ["breach of Uzzah"] to this day. And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?"

So - Uzzah made the terrible mistake of taking hold of the ark when it was about to topple because the oxen shook it. This must have been a reflex reaction on his part; he couldn't have "planned" to touch the ark beforehand because the oxen would stumble.

The apologetic answers I've found to this, are 1) Uzzah knew that he wasn't allowed to touch the ark, 2) Uzzah should have trusted God to stabilize the cart himself, 3) they were not supposed to carry it on a cart anyway, so it wouldn't have happened if they had done everything according to what God had told them (it should have been carried).

For the first point, I would say that as this was a "knee jerk" reaction, you can't really blame him for reaching out as the cart was about to topple. For the second point, OK, this seems like a valid thought, but again, it was not a premeditated thing he did, it was a natural reaction to seeing something valuable almost topple. And for the third point; if that was the case, they should all have been killed for doing what was wrong - what Uzzah did was just an indirect consequence of the desision to transport the ark in the wrong manner.

I find it interesting that David seems to have been quite appalled by what happened, and called the place Perezuzzah, which in some translations go as 'outbreak against Uzzah'. And he got afraid of the lord that day...

Another fun scripture is:

(Numbers 15:32-36, KJV)"And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses."

-The people didn't really know what to do about this man so they put him in "quarantine", but boy did God know what to do! This man was gathering sticks on the sabbath day! Probably for firewood. Granted, fire would be a necessity, but you just don't gather sticks on the sabbath day either way! I'm not sure this guy was even an Israelite himself; i guess that depends on if "children of Israel" literally means children, or if it means Israelites in general. Anyway - - they "were only following orders".

Then there's the one where God sooo wanted to just smite'em all, but Moses made him change his mind:

(Exodus 32:9-14, KJV)"And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people: Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation. And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? [.... Moses is pleading his case some more ....] And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."
  • cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101
    I dont see the lie you mention, please explain..

I'm not sure what you need explained.

Seriously.

I think it's rather clear.

so God says dont eat or you will die, then Satan says you wont, then God stops him eating from tree of life...am i missing something? CS 101

• oompa
    oompa

Ok the firewood did it for me. New thread within a thread maybe? Is that legal?

How in the HELL did this book get so popular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really.,....oompa

• Rooster
    Rooster

Rbi8Zechariah14:3-5***

"And Jehovah will certainly go forth and war against those nations as in the day of his warring, in the day of fight. 4 And his feet will actually stand in that day upon the mountain of the olive trees, which is in front of Jerusalem, on the east; and the mountain of the olive trees must be split at its middle, from the sunrising and to the west. There will be a very great valley; and half of the mountain will actually be moved to the north, and half of it to the south. 5 And YOU people will certainly flee to the valley of my mountains; because the valley of [the] mountains will reach all the way to A´zel. And YOU will have to flee, just as YOU fled because of the [earth]quake in the days of Uz·zi´ah the king of Judah. And Jehovah my God will certainly come, all the holy ones being with him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit