How long will Watchtower last??

by chuckyy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I used to think (when having doubts): "Oh well, if this turns out to be false, at least this religion has an expiration date." This was before the 1995 change of doctrine about the 1914 generation, though. Had that doctrine been standing, there would only be ten or so more years left before it would become too ridiculous. Which is why they changed it - in a "foot note" no less. And now recently they also changed the doctrine on all the anointed having been selected already, to now being an ongoing process. Which is also a subtle way of prolonging the 'expiration date' of the religion.

I think they'll be able to continue doing this almost indefinitely. After all, most JWs are still there after these recent changes. The previous teachings are now 'old light'; Jehovah has given them new pieces in the puzzle and the old ones are to be discarded. Just like that. Their kids won't even know what they used to teach on this, I'm sure, and neither will new members. Just as old literature is hard to come by and shouldn't be looked into as it contains 'old light', pre-1996 literature may someday be really hard to come by for an active JW. "Don't dwell on the past, always look forward".

The few who start to think, are literally afraid of doing anything about it. Both because of their friends and family are in, but also because they do believe in Jehovah, and fear him. Well - we've all been there, so no point in me babbling on.

• Open mind
    Open mind

How long will Watchtower last?

Well it depends on whether or not you separate the pages and crumple them up individually.

If you do that, then a single Watchtower lasts about 60 seconds before it's reduced to ashes.

The rough paper ones from before the 80's work best. Very therapeutic.

Open Mind

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Jehovahs Witness has been preaching for 90 years, like the days of Noahs who preached 120 years before the flood, so add 90 to the 1914 equals 2004 plus thirty years. 2034 according to WT in 2004.

But in my mind one more day is not soon enough!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It will not last forever. After sometime, the lawsuits will overwhelm it, or it will simply
    collapse from not enough income. Either of these events is still probably far off
    into the future.

Successful lawsuits are still rare. The abuse victims' settlements are encouraging
    as more might join the club with courage to come forward. Still, there just aren't
    enough victims who went to the elders for help that will be able to topple the tower.
    More hope could come if their doctrines are ever shown to cause deaths that weren't
    necessary. It could happen one day. Also, volunteers being ruled as employees
    can cripple them. Past employees will sue the pants off them for improper
    dismissal without retirement planning.

Not enough income- they are learning to do things cheaper, and they are selling off
    properties at a profit. Sooner or later, there won't be properties left to sell or a
    cheaper way to keep printing. That's when radical solutions will not work and the
    tower will simply cease to function. They might try soliciting donations without a
    product- perhaps telling dubs to get their study articles off their internet site and
    print it out themselves. By that time, there won't be enough dubs giving money to
    keep the Governing Body afloat.

This kind of reduction toward dissolving the corporation will be slow. If they keep
    collapsing and selling property, it could sustain their lifestyle for decades. They also
    might be willing to sacrifice their lifestyle to maintain control. I can see the leaders
    moving to a tropical country.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

The Society will survive indefinitely because its core message is very appealing to a lot of people. Even to me still.

Paradise, peace, living forever, being with my grandparents again, etc...

• journey-on
    journey-on

The tower is crumbling brick by brick. As the old bricks that have held the tower together since the 40's , 50's, 60's, and

70's die off in the next 20 years, the tower will become so weakened, it will eventually just topple over. The younger generations

can't be as easily duped. They learn critical thinking skills pretty early now and of course, the Internet is as common for them

as television was for us. I give them 20 years max.

• BFD
    BFD

The Society will survive indefinitely because its core message is very appealing to a lot of people. Even to me still.

Paradise, peace, living forever, being with my grandparents again, etc...

Never mind answering my question in the other thread. This pretty much sums it up. You're deluded.

When will people ever realize it is not a message, it's a lie!

CLASSIC! LOL

BFD

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Yeah, I'm deluded to say that the Society's message is appealing to a lot of people.

Okay.

• BFD
    BFD

Yes you are deluded. It is not a message it is a lie to gain converts.

BFD

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Okay. Try to listen with understanding.

Whether you personally think it's a lie or not is irrelevant to the fact that millions of people think that it is an appealing message.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit