How Many Have Written a Book? Or Are Considering it?

by AK - Jeff 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have the budded starts of maybe 4 of them in my hard drive. I have been encouraged to finish them, but don't know if I ever will. Some of my writing was cathartic in purpose, and that cathartic crutch seems less needed these days.

Jeff

• snowbird
    snowbird

I plan to write a book about my growing up experiences. My children and grandchildren have no idea of how life was back in the 60's.

Sylvia

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

HARDDRIVE? Burn it on to a CD. I lost things I typed up because of my HD crashing on me. I had a REALLY cool testimony typed up about my life as a JW and had all these facts to prove them wrong and now it's all gone *sniff* Maybe one day I'll find the time and try it all again.

LINDA

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

That is a good suggestion Linda.

I lost some early-exit journals and emails that I valued that way.

I shall do that this morning.

Jeff

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Use CD-RWs, and continually erase and update, if you are thrifty like I am.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

I am writing the story of my life as a Witness. It's not really a book, per se, just a collection of Word files. But it is over 300 pages long, so I suppose if printed out it would be considered a book.

Not sure what to do with it when I am do, or even how to do anything with it. But it is cathartic. I found myself obsessing over many inconsistencies and discouraging experiences that I had to gloss over when I was a Witness ("cognitive dissonance"), so I had to write everything down. A few close friends are reading it as I go, and I enjoy the conversations it affords.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I wrote one when I first left. I wrote it as a form of therapy. It was useful for puting things in perspective for me. I let a few friends read it when they were first coming out, and they said it helped. I don't think I would ever publish it. It is in pretty raw form, and would need a lot of work.

Coffee

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I've written a book, then re-written it, and the re-written it for a third time. It now looks like a book ready for publishing, yet I am still not sure it is quite what I want. There is a huge amount of work between writing a book for cathartic purposes and getting it ready for publishing. The amount of proof reading and fact checking takes about 10 times the effort of writing out the ideas. Being a JW book it is hard to work out who the target audience is - JWs who are not allowed to read it, fading JWs, ex JWs, or non-JWs who probably couldn't care to read it. For each group it needs to be different.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I've written a lot of material over the years about both the jws in particular
    and cults in general, and some of my friends have suggested compiling
    it all into a book.

I don't know if I ever will do that, but it's a thought.

• streets76
    streets76

Fun to write, hard to publish.

"My name is Warren Grubber, I'm fourteen years old, and I burned down the Kingdom Hall."

http://mysite.verizon.net/sgswain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit