My Cong- "Large Witness Gatherings are Banned!! And fancy dress? Why?

by Witness 007 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

A year ago in my Cong, an Elder who must be Hitler's love child, gets up and tells us how some Brothers are planning a fancy dress party, a large social gathering. Sounds fun I though! "Brothers a sincere Christian would not attend such a gathering, we are warning you not to go near it." What ever happened to "not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together" {Only at meetings?} Who died and made then Jesus?

How dare they use the hall to voice thier own opinions. Which bible text did he have in mind. Gather-rinthians 5;19 "Abstain from blood, and large social gatherings, and fornication.which shall follow." WHAT HAPPENS TO WITNESSES AT LARGE GATHERINGS? I mean does it turn into a drunken sex orgy? What about our Christian trained conscience that we spend so much time on. Why not ban T.V and Playstation 3, and drinking booze?

• changeling
    changeling

If he said it from the platform he was out of line even by witness standards.

Sounds like the "party nazi".

changeling

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

IT'S ALL ABOUT 'CONTROL'! BIG BROTHER KEEPS ON WATCHING......

OUTASERVICE

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

The elders put an end to a sisters-only get together mid-week after service. We only got to do it 1 time...then it was ended because "we could fall into the gossip trap"...H*ll...we got the gossip out of the way while in service!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Anything that might be enjoyable is banned or seriously restricted. When I was a teen dub we had parties, I mean gatherings all the time with music, but they were so boring...... So I usually didn't go. No one liked me and I didn't really fit in anyway why bother. I guess maybe for the "true" dubbies it was a grand ole time!

nj

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

We had great fancy dress parties but the Elders banned them since some Brothers brought Swords or guns as part of their outfit e.g cowboys and pirates. So what? What about the drama's at the conventions. One M/S brother came as a female {Murmaid}. He nearly lost his privleges with Elders quoting the Old Testament "Thou shall not dress as a female."

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

I remember a group of JW's put together a talent show and rented an autotorium and everything to put on this performance- it was from another hall and our congregation had a local needs "encouraging" us not to go since we had no clue whether or not the performances would be acceptable and we didn't want to be stuck in a situation where we could be stumbled. *rolls eyes*

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    One M/S brother came as a female {Murmaid}. He nearly lost his privleges with Elders quoting the Old Testament "Thou shall not dress as a female [fish]."

(I restored the missing "fish" in your quoted scripture)

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

We had a fancy costume party in our area once when I was a teen, it was the only really fun wit event I ever attended. Right after, talks on local needs in all the congregations were about guess what? How we should not have such party and immitate the world. They love to suck the fun outta anything!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This seems to be an ongoing trend in many congregations. Ban anything that smacks of entertainment. I wonder if this congregation had hounders that were at the 2006 Grand Boasting session where the resolution at www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/115757/1.ashx came from. And they wonder why people are blowing off the meetings and field circus--if they are going to take away even the boring "parties", then why even bother going and "belonging"? I think I will remain an apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit