My Cong- "Large Witness Gatherings are Banned!! And fancy dress? Why?

by Witness 007 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Many years ago, the Presiding Overseer in my old congregation would arrange a outing to a theme park every year. The whole congregation attended, until the 'fun' police, namely the Circuit Overseer visited one time and told him that he wasn't to do anymore.

Then they wonder why all of the young ones fall away?

• penny2
    penny2

Years ago some local JW families started going ice skating on Sunday nights. This caught on and before long, quite a few families were going.

Then it was mentioned at a DC as unsuitable entertainment because it involved large groups. This put an immediate stop to it and for years, no-one went ice skating.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The family that organised the functions around here got into the bad books with the elders over a court case involving a pig, that the Elders thought should be solved without involving the Courts.

They moved to a nearby cong. and then to another town that had a history of great dance evenings, many of which I was invited to.

I know of no functions in our area, or in the area where that family now lives, for several years.

Our family has many fond memories of those events, but the current crop of JWs will not have those 'good old days' to look back on.

Cheers

Chris

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

you know why witnesses don't shag standing up?

they're afraid it might lead to dancing.

• erandir
    erandir

My wife and I just got an invitation in the mail from an elder's family to attend a get-together in a couple weeks at their place. It's some sort of bonfire, fall-themed deal. I might just go, but here's yet another indication that the ban on large witness gatherings is either not true or being ignored. Or maybe there will be a local needs part coming up in a couple weeks about large witness gatherings or what not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit