For Those Born 1930 - 1979 Remember The Good Old Days ?

by AWAKE&WATCHING 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eclipse
    eclipse
    and we walked to school.....amen.......oompa

I LOVE THAT POST!

I walked to school by myself from 6 years old.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

we used to play a game called hide the belt. one kid would go into the neighborhood, and put a belt in an obvious location. whoever found it whipped the other kids until they got back to base. most of our games were violent and dangerous. i think kids today miss out on alot. kids today are little pansises that never learn to live with rejection. they never learn to deal with problems. all they know is grab a gun, or sue. whatever happened to a good old fist fight?

• John Doe
    John Doe

People have the uncanny notion of criminalizing the next generation and idealizing their own--has been going on for centuries. People are so predictable--they might as well be robots.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Man, this brought some memories flooding back.

I remember falling asleep underneath the back window shelf between the speakers of a big 'ol cadillac. Seatbelts were something you jammed in between the cushions so the belt buckles wouldn't burn your legs in the summertime. You always took a towel in the car in the summer even if you weren't going swimming. Otherwise you might find yourself 'glued' to the vinyl by perspiration.

Anyone remember bottlerockets? I learned to run real fast the summer I followed the older kids when they told me not to. Those didn't hurt when they finally exploded. There was another incendiary device the little redneck racists down the street called 'nxxxxx chasers' that they threw at me that did burn pretty bad. I went home in tears and when my dad asked me what was wrong (he was working in the garage there was no air conditioning in the house so why go inside?) I told him, "the xx boys threw nxxxxx chasers at me." I will remember that ass-whupping to my dying day. I deserved it and a lesson was learned.

Eagle

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Lots of good memories, the only sad part about it was it was tarnished by my JW experience.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle
    People have the uncanny notion of criminalizing the next generation and idealizing their own--has been going on for centuries.

Sorta, but really looking back makes me think that many of us are lucky to be alive.

I recall the big gossip the first day of 7th grade was the boy who got into a bb gun battle with his brothers. He caught one in the eye and wore a patch for the first semester. Amazingly, he was more proud of the bb that got stuck in his bicep. It caused a really ugly bruise that he could show off.

Eagle

• BrentR
    BrentR

Me and my friends used to build tree houses and dig underground cave forts. Do kids even do that anymore? And to make sure the local hospital emergency departments stayed busy we would ride our bikes over ramps and have distance contests. Our celebrity idols were people like Evil Knieval who actually had a talent and did something other then just get arrested.

I am also proud to be a lawn dart and dodge ball survivor.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Brent we did the same thing, we built treehouses and forts. I remember building bicycle ramps, all kinds of fun stuff. I remember enjoying playing cops and robbers with the neighborhood boys, and then my JW grandma informed me that I couldnt play with toy guns because of the religion. It really bothered me so much, and just helped to further isolate me from my peers. Only God knows how much I despise that cult !!!!!!!!!!

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Just found this:

Red Rover, Red Rover, Tag's All Over

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.

Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

• Scotty
    Scotty

Yep, those were the days. 1950 I was born. We were lucky. We had a toilet in our house, but only one electric socket. No tv, no fridge, no washing machine, no central heating, freezing winter mornings until the coal fire was lit. Hard times, not always fun, but we never thought we were poor or disadvantaged. And overall I remember it all with fondness. We were hardy then, when the electric light went out because mum didn't have a coin to put it on again, we made shapes on the wall with our hands in front of the coal fire. We didn't moan, we just got on with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit