• snowbird
    snowbird

Hey, Juni, girlfriend!!!

I'm doin' good.

It's great to hear from you!

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

Catfish is disgusting. Tastes like mud. Tilapia has the perfect texture, and a mild flavor. One good sized fillet has about 100 calories, and 20+ grams of protein. Durn near perfect food.

• juni
    juni

((Sylvia))

Just popped in for a minute to take a look around and see what's being talked about. Saw your thread and wanted to say, "hi".

Juni

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Catfish is disgusting.

Preach, sister!!!

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I like fried catfish. You have to know how to make it. Soaking it in water with salt and other stuff helps with the flavor.

BTS

• John Doe
    John Doe

Catfish is divine. I can't comment about its taste of mud, having not personally tried the stuff.

• VIII
    VIII

Farm raised Tilapia is not too good for you. Perhaps you all missed the news last year? Here is the story from US News and World Report:

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2008/07/11/popular-tilapia-might-not-help-heart.html

The wildly popular farm-raised fish known as tilapia may actually harm your heart, thanks to low levels of healthy omega-3 fatty acids and high levels of unhealthy omega-6 fatty acids.

New research suggests the combination could be particularly bad for patients with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other diseases involving overactive inflammatory responses.

"If you're in a vulnerable population such as a heart disease patient, you need to be very careful with what you're eating, and that includes everything," said senior study author Dr. Floyd H. Chilton, director of Wake Forest Center for Botanical Lipids, in Winston-Salem, N.C. "But when it comes to fish, there's not a more important thing you can do for heart disease than eat the right type of fish or take dietary fish oil. There is evidence that you may harm yourself by eating the wrong kind of fish, and [farmed] tilapia and catfish are the two that fall into that category."

As for suppliers, "the industry needs to improve ways of farming fish," said Katherine Tallmadge, a national spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "The whole idea of farming is a great one, but they're feeding the fish food that's inexpensive, so they can keep the price down, and it's having an adverse effect on the nutritional quality of the fish."

Several health groups, including the American Heart Association, recommend eating two servings of fish a week, preferably fatty fish such as salmon. The reason: primarily to increase omega-3 fatty acids.

But no one has really looked at the nutritional effect of an explosion in farmed fish (increasing at an annual rate of 9.2 percent, compared with 1.4 percent for wild fish). In particular, inexpensive tilapia is exploding in popularity.

This study used gas chromatography to analyze the fatty acid composition of 30 widely consumed farmed and wild fish.

Farmed trout and Atlantic salmon had relatively good concentrations of "good" omega-3 fatty acids compared with "bad" omega-6 fatty acids.

Farm-raised tilapia and catfish, on the other hand, had troubling ratios.

Tallmadge recommends looking for wild fish. Wild salmon, even canned wild salmon, has high levels of omega-3s and is an excellent source of protein. "It can be fairly economical," she said. "I buy frozen salmon at Trader Joe's for about $7 a pound, that's $2 a serving."

Concentrate on cold-water fish such as salmon, rainbow trout, sardines, tuna and anchovies, all of which have healthy fats, added Marianne Grant, a health educator with Texas A&M Health Science Centers Coastal Bend Health Education Center, in Corpus Christi.

"In the 1970s, we lost the ability to feed the planet with fish we catch," Chilton said. "Farm-raised fish has to be part of our future, but we must do it correctly. We must feed animals the correct foods. Animals become what we feed them, and we become what we eat as well. The food chain is fairly consistent."

More information

Visit the American Heart Association for more on fish and fatty acids.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks so much, VIII!

I'm no fool; I knew tilapia was too good to be true.

Sylvia

• VIII
    VIII

Hi Sylvia! Great thread title.

I've been buying lots of wild salmon at Trader Joes and when I can find it, at Aldi's. Aldi's has great prices and if you can stand the experience, the products are worth the adventure of the store. And bring your own bags!

I should have fins by now.

I've also been grilling it, when the weather allows, on a cedar plank. Really good flavor.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The thought of eating tilapia kind of turns my stomach. Where I come from it was kind of a trash fish in polluted waters, and it was used in the pools around the state legislature which were drained of water once and the fish died and stunk for weeks! So tilapia = yuck to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit