Tilapia aka St. Peter's Fish

by snowbird 38 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

We had some delicious sauteed tilapia today. I know tilapia is called St. Peter's Fish, but I thought this was due to their abundance in the Sea of Galilee where Peter did most of his fishing.

I checked Wikipedia and looked what I found:

Certain species of tilapia are sometimes called "St. Peter's fish". This term is taken from the account in the Christian Bible about the apostle Peter catching a fish that carried a shekel coin in its mouth. According to the tale, the dark spots on the sides of the fish, a common pattern in many tilapiine cichlids, are the fingermarks of the saint.

This account can be found at Matthew 17:27. Fascinating stuff, huh?

Sylvia

• Gregor
    Gregor

Never cared for Talapia. Out on the west coast many people call them "suckers". They taste like whatever they are seasoned with as opposed to salt water fish, Halibut, salmon, Sea bass...etc that are delicous by themselves. I don't think anyone should be fooled into paying a big price for this fish in a restaurant. Think of it as in the category of catfish.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Wal-Mart usually has good prices on the frozen fillets. I wonder if they get it from China???

Sylvia

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I'm very fond of farm-raised tilapia. Reminds me of trout, rather than catfish (more gelatinous in texture; not my thing). Trader Joe's is another place where you can get it cheap. GentlyFeral

• snowbird
    snowbird

There's catfish a-plenty around these parts. I never acquired a taste for it. We call it and garfish "trash."

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was looking over my previous posts and this one just leaped out at me.

I can't wait until workday ends so I can grocery shop.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

The tilapia Wal-Mart sells does, indeed, come from China.

I don't buy it anymore.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Tilapia is inexpensive, clean, healthy protein. It is also widely raised on fish farms, as opposed to wild caught fish which reduces fish stocks.

BTS

• juni
    juni

hey snowbird Sylvia..

How are you doing? I'm real good.

Actually I prefer orange roughy to talapia because it's a firmer texture like halibut.

Take care.

Juni

• snowbird
    snowbird

When I first posted this, two years ago, I didn't have The Message Bible online.

Matthew 17:24 When they arrived at Capernaum, the tax men came to Peter and asked, "Does your teacher pay taxes?"

25 Peter said, "Of course."

But as soon as they were in the house, Jesus confronted him. "Simon, what do you think? When a king levies taxes, who pays—his children or his subjects?"

26 -27 He answered, "His subjects."

Jesus said, "Then the children get off free, right? But so we don't upset them needlessly, go down to the lake, cast a hook, and pull in the first fish that bites. Open its mouth and you'll find a coin. Take it and give it to the tax men. It will be enough for both of us."

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit