We are the small tip of the tip of an iceberg

by ThomasCovenant 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

In my area of the world I know of at least 15 members of my family and friends that have left the Watchtower because they no longer believe it. All of them are aware of this site and my viewing and posting on it. However apart from one, who posts here as Veen, none of them to my knowledge are particularly interested in coming to this site. Good for them as it shows they are glad to move on with their lives as ex exJW's.

What it indicates to me is that whilst it is 'encouraging' to see more and more new ones introducing themselves here it means there are many many more who leave the WT and are more than happy to get on with a new life away from it.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    What it indicates to me is that whilst it is 'encouraging' to see more and more new ones introducing themselves here it means there are many many more who leave the WT and are more than happy to get on with a new life away from it

I know what you mean, Thomas.

A friend of ours from the same kh stopped attending a while ago, but
    hasn't joined any ex jw boards, and isn't really bothered about doing so.

Actually, she met my best friend, who has never been a jw, and they
    hit it off straight away and have been together for 7 months now. They
    recently moved in together, are planning to marry next year, and though
    she is fading, the elders are now aware of her domestic situation and
    have invited her to meet 3 of them at the kh. She isn't going, so I guess
    he df'ing is imminent, but she doesn't care.

• Dansk
    Dansk

And we all know jus how dangerous icebergs can be

I really do believe Watchtower is struggling. The same old speel just cuts no ice (no pun intended) with most people these days. The society is for old time JWs and meglomaniacs now.

Ian

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Agreed. 1 million have left in the last 10 years (http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/statistics.htm) but only 25,000 have registered on this site. (not that 25,000 is a small number, but it is only 2.5%). However, we are the tip of the tip that is having a huge affect on stagnating the growth of the Watchtower Society.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

The Watchtower brand is going out of fashion rapidly. Many come in the front door and straight out the back. Even love bombing as a stratergy is failing because so many witnesses are just too tired and warn out to pretend anymore. Only the ones heavily in denial seem to have the energy to carry on.

In my own sphere of influence, I've persuaded at least 5 its not the truth. It's getting easier too, why? Just ask the average witnesses how they have been treated and about the lack of love and you'll be touching a raw nerve.

Unless they do something to address the utter barren condition of large parts the organistation the rot will continue to set in.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Some of us, due to our backgrounds (former elders, ministerial servants, pioneers, Bethel personnel, etc.) need more time in the decompression chambers and debriefing rooms than others.

• Brigido
    Brigido

I have to agree with everyone here...even though we are a small group here we can still have an impact.

Personally, I really don't post a whole lot on here, guess I'm shy that way, but I do enjoy reading everyone's

thoughts here and to me, have found it to be comforting and it helps me to see that many struggle with the

after effects of leaving the borg. I have asked myself that many times...why do I read/post here? Again,

it is helpful knowing I'm not the only one dealing with this and here is just my opinion: I think many HAVE

gone on with their lives and could care less about the JW's and what they think but if you have family/friends

still in it, it does tend to resurface every now and then and gets you thinking about it. And of course, you know

how they are about the guilt trips. So yeah, being here is a great help!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think you're right. My whole family is out now - of course we're not a large family but that's three sisters and all their children and cousins. I'm the only one I know of who posts here - which is OK with me.

• JK666
    JK666

Thomas,

I am the only one out in my family so far. It would be interesting if one of my sisters escaped. Actually there is only one that I would care to rekindle relationships with. The other is, was, and will always be a jerk.

I don't have a clue how it would go down if she and my BIL escaped. I really do miss them.

JK

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think the major trend in my neck of the woods is apathy. I've been steadily missing bookstudies for quite a few weeks now--they've been bugging me to go to the one tonight but I'll be there super late...and people are still nice to me.

Because I was demoted without any obvious reason, I guess people aren't going to really mark me yet. But I know that the little touches, hugs, and welcoming gestures are diminishing with time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit