Prove to me Jesus existed...............

by passive suicide 51 Replies latest jw friends

• The-Borg
    The-Borg
    evolution has alot more evidence than does religion

Evolution is just as much an article of faith as creation, personally I lean toward creation but that's another argument. Religion on the other hand is a diabolical and grotesque cancer on the human family as far as I'm concerned. Whether Jesus existed or not is irelevant, but if you use it opress and deceive other people then thats just wrong.

• Terry
    Terry

I read a lot of apologist writings.

Many assertions fly around in those books confidently stated and emphatically expressed as "fact".

Attestations to various historians is referenced.

Upon investigation I discovered that these historical references were preserved by the Church and tampered with.

Early versions do not include references to Christus, Jesus, etc.

Hmmmmmm....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Source please?

• metaspy
    metaspy

I watched a history channel show on whether Jesus existed.
    Their conclusion was that he existed - whether or not he was God's son and performed miracles was a different matter.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    Prove to me Jesus existed

Well its not exactly proof but there is some evidence of his supposed arrival on earth. I remember seeing a documenatary on TV about the discovery of the dead sea scrolls, and one of the scrolls that was found was the complete book of Isaiah. If you know your prophecies then Isaiah fortellls the arrival of the supposed saviour of mankind, the 'wonderful counselor' the 'mighty god' etc etc. Now these scrolls were carbon dated and found to be written about 200BC making them one of the very earliest manuscripts of this book. So if this carbon dating method is a credible way of accurately telling the true age of something then here we have a handwritten document fortelling well in advance of Jesus birth of a saviour/redeemer figure that would fit the description of Jesus due to arrive on Earth.

Just something to think about........

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

So....'The-Borg' ........You mention Pilate, and Caiaphas.....but both of those examples are only quoted in the bible as far as I know. If I'm missing something please give me a reference. If they are only in the bible, would you consider the possibility that "Jesus" was placed there as a way to further influence the masses....put there at absolutely no risk whatsoever by the powers that be at the time? in an effort to bring together those of differing religions under one huge roof?

• The-Borg
    The-Borg
    So....'The-Borg' ........You mention Pilate, and Caiaphas.....but both of those examples are only quoted in the bible as far as I know. If I'm missing something please give me a reference. If they are only in the bible, would you consider the possibility that "Jesus" was placed there as a way to further influence the masses....put there at absolutely no risk whatsoever by the powers that be at the time? in an effort to bring together those of differing religions under one huge roof?

Thats an old argument, in 1961 they found a tablet in a Roman theatre at Caesarea, it said pilate was "prefect/govenor of Judea" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontius_Pilate Caiaphas's tomb was unearthed by Archaelogists in 1990 - http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a026.html

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The-Borg:

There are lot of fictions referencing historical characters. That doesn't make the stories or their protagonist(s) historical.

lfcviking:

When you start questioning the existence of Jesus you have first questioned that any earlier text can actually be a long-term "prophecy" pointing to him.

(Sorry for stating the obvious.)

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

There is no proof, evidence indicating, proof, none. There was no tv, no video, just written text which could easily be manipulated and basically %%%%%% with.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg
    There is no proof, evidence indicating, proof, none. There was no tv, no video, just written text which could easily be manipulated and basically %%%%%% with.

In a balance of probabilities I think that it's plausible that he did exist. One thing I've learned through all this is that people generally believe what they want to believe and seek evidence to support their belief system, while ignoring the contrary. Hell I did it for twenty years as a witness!!.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit