Prove to me Jesus existed...............

by passive suicide 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I learn something about myself from what I would like to have been real.

My experience too.

What modifies it, however, is the value you ascribe to any kind of "reality" or "truth" as you read.

Does being "real" or "true" make a story better, or worse?

Do I really wish my most cherished stories to "be/come true"?

Fiction is as old as language and older than writing -- but thinking fiction as fiction is an unfinished story (both collectively and individually).

There is a deep relationship between fiction and freedom imo. Any kind of "truth" is to be obeyed.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

ToPassive suicide and Narcissos,

My current work schedule makes it difficult to regularly frequent the boards so don't take my peroids of silence as ignoring either of you. Uuuuhhhnnn what can I say about my work? Avoid call centres if you can. Also don't feel like you have to reply back. But just a simple emoticon either way is cool.

Hey Passive suicide,

I took no offense at your comment. You've sized me up pretty well, pegging my mystical leanings. Even though I can't say that I've ever definitely had one. I had a couple of interesting internal emotional happenings that for whatever reason were also associated with thoughts of a religious nature. Don't be afraid to speak your mind and say I'm just crazy. I too have thought that. :)

But the experiences were real, emotionally, none the less. Which then brings me to Narcissos' questions on stories, their realities and their worth.

To me a captivating story isn't necessarily better if its "true". Like you said Narcissos, truth is to be obeyed. If there is one absolute accurate and actual way in which something is to be done, or how one is to live to reach a particular result then deviation is counterproductive. But who can guarantee that none of our current "truths" will be overturned? Then we've been stifling deviation that could have led to a deeper understanding, a new way of thinking or seeing something. Stories that are entirely true but don't challenge presuppositions, don't address what may be currently going wrong with society etc. can trap us in a less than ideal status quo.
    e.g. the Dark Ages

What makes a great story to me is its transformative power on my consciousness, how it gets me to reflect on my own values. If the events and characters aren't "real" doesn't matter. You've said so much to me with those succint lines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit