Did the spirit of my dead grandmother call me?

by free2beme 25 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Okay, so the dead do not communicate with the living, right? So answer this for me.

My grandmother died in 2003 and besides being a pallbearer at her funeral, I have not gone back to her grave sight. So recently I planned to go back to my home town and felt the need to go to their grave (My grandfather died in 1988). I have often felt some need to visit the graves of my relatives in friends, as more holes have been filled with their bodies in my passing years of adulthood. Well, my grandmother kept appearing in my dreams and bringing up memories of a time where she nagged me to do something as a teen. At that time she was upset I was late in paying her back a $150 loan and would not stop until I did. So I was waking up irritated and feeling like I did back then and thinking she was such a nag. So when I got to my home town, I kept thinking about this time and decided to go see her, as you see I actually never paid her back. My parents got a divorce and life kind of went crazy and I think she forgot about it in the mayhem. So we go to the cemetary, and I walk to where I knew they were buried with some flowers and put them in a vase built in to their marker. When I notice, my grandmothers marker was never completed with her year of death. I think this is irritating, as she did prepay for her arrangements and would have wanted things complete.

So I contact my father a few days later and mention it to him. My father handled the arrangements and yet he hated his mother. So he tells me, in so many words, "Who cares!" I thought this was terrible and I contacted the funeral home and cemetary myself online to ask what I needed to do to get this done. Well I got an e-mail back stating this was never paid for, and should have been done when she died to complete the plaque and most likely my dad was told. So I asked, "How much?" They e-mailed back $150.

So is my grandmother speaking to me from beyond the grave and using an image from my past to get repaid now? Either way, I am taking care of this until it is done. I can afford the $150 now.

Your thoughts?

• watson
    watson

Great irony here. I think it's a nice way to pay her back, you slacker!!

• tula
    tula

Did you compute the interest rate over the years? You might want to invest in a nice bird feeder as a permanent arrangement, too.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I figure we can discuss interest when we see each other again on the other side.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Coincidence? Who knows? But what a story to make you wonder? Thanks for sharing.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I think it's a terrific idea! I am sure this will make you feel better! I am also a bit upset at your father's reaction to the stone not being finished. It just seems SOOOOO cold hearted.

hugs,

Annie

• parakeet
    parakeet

Very reminiscent of a scene from "The Sixth Sense."

COLE: Grandma says hi. She says she's sorry for taking the bumble bee pendant. She just likes it a lot.

LYNN" What?

COLE: Grandma comes to visit me sometimes.

LYNN: Cole, that's very wrong. Grandma's gone. You know that.

COLE: I know. She wanted me to tell you--

LYNN: Cole, please stop.

COLE: She wanted me to tell you, she saw you dance. She said when you were little, you and her had a fight right before your dance recital. You thought she didn't come to see you dance. She did. She hid in the back so you wouldn't see... She said you were like an angel. She said you came to her where they buried her. Asked her a question... She said the answer is "Every day." ... What did you ask?

LYNN: (crying): Do I make her proud?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I like that movie - watch it whenever it comes on television. As for your grandmother - who knows. But you completed the cycle, at any rate. You paid her back in a way that has some meaning to you.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Could be. Sometimes the little things are important. She will rest in peace, now. Maybe it wasn't the money itself that was the issue in this dynamic between you and your grandmother. Also, maybe she will be there for you, from now on, or has been and wanted you to know. I feel that way about one of my grannies. She is like a foundation to me. I keep a pic of her in front of my computer screen. Most of us need roots of some kind.

S

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Interesting story, don't think your grandmother would be worried about the money in the afterlife, perhaps like Satanus said, its more about bringing to your attention a life lesson, don't leave things unfinished. Your dad sounds like a very cold hearted one indeed. Thanks for sharing the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit