The scotsman returns - but he is not the same....

by The Scotsman 22 Replies latest jw friends

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Hello, yes the Scotsman has returned, but I have been naughty - - - I have been THINKING!

I have been doing some of my own research on the Internet etc regarding JWs and some doctrinal issues.
    I have had some doubts for a while but am beginning to think that some of our current teachings are simply unsustainable.

Example - The 1914 timeframe.
    The reason that this is so pivotal is that it is a foundation stone of the organization. Evidence is easily available to prove that this date is unsafe.

Many on here speculate about revolution in the organization etc, if 1914 was moved it would have a catastrophic effect on the ordinary publisher and would lead to big change across the congregations. Many would be so discouraged that they would give up or certainly seriously slow down, others would walk out the door.
    And of course some would be quite willing to accept the change, putting it down to a new flash of light.

If it were moved to a later date it would certainly postpone Armageddon in the minds of most JWs. Pioneering would be less attractive, higher education and full time employment would be a better idea.

Personally - I think a change to 1914 is inevitable, perhaps sooner than we think. It would be the biggest turning point ever in the organizations history.

What does this all mean for me?
    I just aint sure!!

It is not pleasant to sit at a meeting and thinking to yourself, "I do not believe what he/she just said".

I have a head full of doubts....

I was brought up in the truth – aged 30 something!
    Wife is a JW, no kids. Most of the families in both sides are in the truth.

• vitty
    vitty

My daughter and husband who are still in the org, missed the point of the generation change, they were too young to notice the enormity of it. My goodness even I did, completely stuck my head in the ground. They always say they dont think the big "A" is around the corner, so im not sure if they would completely appreciate a change or the dropping of 1914.

I think I should start talking to her about it, prime her a little, just incase they do and then something may click. The problem is they are not spiritual but believe it all the same..............and its all theyve ever known , surrounded by family and friends.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Welcome back Scotsman, not seen you for a while

It is not pleasant to sit at a meeting and thinking to yourself, "I do not believe what he/she just said".

No, it isn't pleasant at all, very discouraging in fact. I went through it myself a couple of years ago, as have many others on here. All I will say to you is keep on doing your research, whatever you decide to do with it is up to you.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I was brought up in the truth – aged 30 something!
    Wife is a JW, no kids. Most of the families in both sides are in the truth.

That's odd.. I was looking over the thread yesterday.. THE thread The one where everyone dived in and rapid fired you with info.

The family issue... That's the tough bit.

Many here still attend, only for the sake of their relationships. As I'm sure you know, they try to stay sane at meetings by several means... some come back here and "file reports" on the hypocrisy - it all helps.

If 1914 were changed (obviously the 1914 generation teaching is done away with already), then I'm sure that the whole Jenga Tower of the WT would fall.

It is especially sickening to hear all the talk about how Russell sucessfully predicted that 1914 would be the START of the time of trouble... He did no such thing. He thought it would be the end of the "system"...

Have you had any thoughts about the organisation itself (ie the control issues, profits etc) ?

Anyway, it is good to see you back. Keep posting !

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know what I think, The Scotsman? I think the society is waiting for the generation who would understand the significance of 1914 to die away. The relentless dumbing down of the literature and fewer and fewer references to their own origin, I think, are to prime the current generation not to question the origins of their authority.

I don't think the society will change that teaching. They'll just "forget" it. After all, avoidance has kept them in business a lot longer than direct confrontation.

You know what it reminds me of? The Turkish apartment buildings I saw on a National Geographic special last night. The shoddy construction lasted until the first major earthquake. Then entire buildings collapsed. An organization that "forgets" it's foundation is built on sand and cannot stand forever. All it takes is a good shakeup.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

<<< Have you had any thoughts about the organisation itself (ie the control issues, profits etc) ? >>>

Certainly recently I have started to think there is something not right with the leadership of WTBTS.

I think someone posted here a week or so back saying that its as if the GB are infallible now.

Certainly that is suggested in the Sept KM Question box.

As well as the 1914 change (if it happened it would have a major impact), another development that would have some sort of influence on the publishers would be a drop in active publishers.

Rates of increase in recent years have been pretty minimal.

A personal gripe - pointing the finger at other groups saying "they are like this and that", criticizing, when we are guilty of exactly the same thing!!!

• ninja
    ninja

hey scotsman .....welcome back from da ninja.....another scotsman....(quite a smug one after beating france at football)....he he.....good to see you thinking......I went through the exact same scenario as you.....sitting at the meeting when I didn't believe what was getting said.....I found it impossible after a while to answer up when I no longer believed it....then when you try to speak to others about it....you notice their minds are closed.....for what its worth....I also thought it was trouble on the governing body but it would get fixed....then you realise the deceit goes way back........anyways ...welcome back mate

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

<<< quite a smug one after beating france at football >>>

What a goal.

I was at the Lithuania game - brilliant atmosphere.

A group from the cong going to the italy game.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Nice to hear that you are beginning to see the many serious flaws in the JW organisation, the words you should be looking for are manipulation and exploitation, they are certainly not an org out to serve the spiritual interets of mankind as they claim.

The 1914 date they got from the adventists and it is wrong just like any other date produced by the adventists. As for the JW leadership they are obviously a power lusting group that went to the ridiculous extremes of claiming God gave them a monopoly of power and inspiration at the expense of all other "anointed" JWs.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger
    You know what I think, The Scotsman ? I think the society is waiting for the generation who would understand the significance of 1914 to die away.

I totally agree.

By the time they change this some will point to the "generation" change of '95 (wow 13 years ago) as say something inane like "didn't they change the 1914 teaching YEARS ago.

The 2520 "day" 607 - 1914 stuff hasn't (to my knowledge - I left in '99) been in any frontline bible study book since the "Live Forever" book which was replaced by the "Knowledge" book () in '95

Another 15 to 20 years and they will be ready to do it.

2034 at the latest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit