Filming for disfellowshipping documentary has begun

by RubyParker 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Ruby,

Glad to hear of your work. Perhaps the girl named Nancy who tells her story of being raised a JW and the shunning by her Mom and Step-Dad on YouTube would be a good person to film. She's quite articulate.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hmm now this looks like a good thing. Thank you.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Just curious, is there any counter-info to the assertion that the practice is simply "doing what the bible instructs us to do"?

Or does it not bother to go there?

• mind my own
    mind my own

Wow Ruby, good for you! Thank you for letting us know the current status of this documentary.

Can't wait to hear your updates on this project!

MMO

• shell69
    shell69

Brilliant

Shell

• avengers
    avengers

Go for it!

When can the movie be previewed?

Andy

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I applaud your work on this and makes me smile that another "not so complimentary" documentary showing the way this cult operates, is in the works. The more of these can be brought to the into the public eye, the better. Lord knows how many countless live and entire families have been wrecked at the hands of the wretched "religion that is identified by its love".

I wish you all the very best in this most-needed project.

hugs,

Annie

• Mary
    Mary

I think that's a wonderful project you're undertaking Ruby. Kudo's to you!

• RubyParker
    RubyParker

Hi M.J.

This is a good question. The problem with making a film like this is that there is simply SO MUCH to cover. It is impossible to cover every aspect of disfellowshipping properly within a 90 minute film, much less a 15 minute short!

I haven't yet set out to argue the WTS' disfellowshipping policy from a biblical standpoint, most likely because I am now agnostic and am more focused on the traumatic impact of the practice.

However, I DO aim to interview people who have left and who remain Christians. It is quite possible that such a refutation could come out in one of my interviews with DF'd current Christians. I should state, however, that the film is not intended as a theological debate.

thanks for your interest!

Ruby.

• RubyParker
    RubyParker

Hi avengers,

As far as the short is concerned, it should hit the 'festival circuit' within the New Year. I will be sure to update JWD as to which festivals have accepted it, when and where it can be previewed etc...

Since I will be spending the better portion of 2008 shooting the feature length doc, it is difficult to say for certain when or where it will premiere. Hopefully within early 2009 (gosh, that sounds like a long way off, doesn't it?). As with the short, I'll update this board with the progress!

Ruby.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit