Filming for disfellowshipping documentary has begun

by RubyParker 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• RubyParker
    RubyParker

Hello JWD – it has been a few months now since I initially posted an announcement regarding my intention to create a feature length documentary about the emotional and psychological effects of the WTS disfellowshipping practice. I am happy to announce that filming began the weekend before last at the 2007 A Common Bond conference in Chicago. I was welcomed to ACB’s conference with open arms. Being my first time physically surrounded by a group of former Witnesses I was overwhelmed with emotion. Although I do not fit their specific demographic, the members of A Common Bond accepted me and my crew members with open arms.

We were able to shoot over 8 hours worth of conference footage including personal interviews as well as a group session moderated by former elder, registered nurse and therapist Frank Maitoza. Please take a peek at the ‘conference report’ page on ACB’s site, where you will see a tiny pixellated clip of myself addressing the attendees in the top right corner, as well as a pic of members of my crew setting up to interview a former Witness at the bottom right.

http://www.gayxjw.org/confrep07.html

It was thrilling to be surrounded by so many survivors, many of whom have lost all of their family members, friends and entire world as a result of the WTS’ policy. Not only that, but they have endured years of overtly homophobic, ignorant and intolerant preaching -- which of course leads to internalized self-hatred. I was privileged to be accepted there as a guest, and to be among such a loving and accepting group of individuals. Their courage, resilience and strength should be an inspiration to all of us who are struggling.

I will be using much of the footage in my feature length film, but have decided in the interim to create a 15 minute short about my visiting the ACB conference. The short film will be submitted for consideration at short film festivals throughout North America.

I will be posting here on JWD sporadically during the next several months, encouraging former and current Witnesses -- young, old, Christian, atheist, pagan, gay, straight, transgendered and otherwise – to contact me who fit specific demographic categories and who are at particular points in their journey.

In particular, I am hoping to speak with CURRENT WITNESSES – who may need to remain anonymous and disguised – who are thinking of leaving.

I particularly wish to speak to YOUNG PERSONS(teenagers) who have left and who are being shunned by their families.

I especially wish to speak to recently DF’d young persons who are STRUGGLING FINANCIALLY AS A RESULT.

I ask JWD for your support in this project. Please anticipate further posts requesting contact from individuals who may be willing to participate, anonymously or otherwise. I must stress that individuals who wish to remain anonymous can and will be protected through various means.

With love,

Ruby Parker.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Good luck Ruby, we wish you well.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for the update, Ruby. Every week the Watchtower makes new enemies with its harsh literature and hatefulness towards ex-members. Your documentary will prove a comfort to the victims of such hatred, and will be an eye-opener to many whose impression of JW's is that it is a harmless little odd group.

• poppers
    poppers

Wow, it sounds like things are really moving along. Thanks for the update, and continued good luck. I'm sure what you are doing will affect many people in a positive way. I look forward to the final product.

• flipper
    flipper

Ruby- You are so to be commended for your efforts to bring this important , but too ignored issue to light. The psychological damage that disfellowshipping does to ex-witnesses is astoundingly disgusting and inhumane ! The damage it does to witnesses still in who do the shunning is also inhumane as it causes them to lose all sense of compassion and real human emotion. They become robots who are programmed. Good luck on your project ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• greendawn
    greendawn

A well made documentary can have a very powerful impact upon the public it's unbelievable that this kind of project was not undertaken by someone long ago. Nice to here that you have started producing the documentary you had told us about.

• sspo
    sspo

Thanks for your hard work and hope will be seen by millions.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I applaud your efforts Ruby. I'm curious about your target audience.

Are you trying to directly reach current JWs?

Open Mind

• RubyParker
    RubyParker

Hi Open Mind,

There isn't one particular audience I'm trying to reach. As I've stated before, I think that the idea of a church-slash-corporation encouraging and enforcing its' laypeople to shun family members is of interest to everybody on this planet. The subject is one that every human should find interesting. It simply begs the question: is this practice humane?

The answer of course, is obvious.

My hope is that it will first and foremost comfort former members. Secondly, that some current members will have a peek and that it may actually spark some 'independent thinking'. Thirdly that it will be picked up by the media and considered alongside the blood tranfusion and molestation issues. Finally I hope that some members of the general public will be educated regarding what is involved and expected of those who decide to convert.

Ruby.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This is GREAT news, Ruby!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit