Cemeteries; They're not Just for Burying, Anymore.

by prophecor 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• prophecor
    prophecor

I live in a metropolitan area. Crime is on a rampage in this city, in fact, we're #1 in the country as far as murders per capita statistic go. Where does one go to find a safe outing for your morning jog, daily walk, or just to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the city life? Why the cemetery, of course, silly. Anyone who's buried there ain't tryin' to leave, ( At least not before the resurrection ) and most on the outside, waiting to get in, ain't tryin' to get that up close and personal.

I find many college students, taking their morning exercise there and even spectators, like myself who find them rather pleaseant places to visit. Especially with the Autmnal Equinox that's due to arrive on the 23rd of this month, fall makes a cemetery a place of pure magic. They are usually very safe, the grounds are well maintained. I adore visiting, as many have a quaint aerie nature, filled with mystique and awe. They once were used for public meetings, gatherings, family picnics. That was before Holy-Wood came and added the additional macabre factor via movies and the like. Since the advent of the Boogey Man, cemeteries have lost thier pleaseant appeal and charm.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Hey Proph, long time no see!

Wow, so I'm not the only one. My ex-wife and I used to frequent cemeteries, we'd stroll around, look at the stones (some of which are amazingly beautiful)... we'd even take a camera around to snap pics of the prettier sites.

They really are just nice, quiet, and interesting places to visit. And yes, going in fall makes all the difference!

KJ

• hubert
    hubert

Last week, when I drove by a large cemetery, I asked my grandaughter how many people she thinks are dead in this cemetery? She said, she didn't know.

I said, "They are all dead".

Cemeteries are busy places....everybody is dying to get in.

Okay, enough cemetery jokes.

Hubert

• cab1000
    cab1000

Person one: Did you know that people living within two miles of a cemetery cannot be buried there?

Person two: What? Why not??

Person one: Because they are still alive!!

I know, I know....I have three young children...

• shell69
    shell69

I have always felt a strange sort of peace in cemeteries, in fact my childhod home backed staright onto a CofE cemetery.

I remember one day I was off school, a burial tookplace right outside the bathroom window; anyways, the grave hadn't been dug large enough to take the casket so it was left at the side of the grave while all the mourners departe. Once they had ogne, the vicar, in all his ragalia was seen standing on the coffin in an attempt to make it go down into the grave. It was a windy day, and I recal and a young girl his gowns 'flapping in the wind as he attempted to push the casket in!

Howver my dear Dad, RIP, died in 1989. My religous nut mother has had the words 'Safe in Jehovah's memory' written in gold on his gravestone.

She's about to move away (so I've heard) so there will no longer be any family memeber who visit his grave apart form me. I was thinking about going along and 'blacking' out the wording. What do you guys think? Its just that the anniversay of his death just came and went, and there was only me that went and put flowers on his grave, so I don't suppose it is any relavence to the rest of the family is it? But I find it offensive to still have this name thrust down my throat.

INCIDENTALLY: when my dad died he hadn't been to the Khell for months. The last time he walked willingly into a Khell was to give me away at my wedding. He never went in again until he was carried in.

Shell

• tinker
    tinker

Warning: Danger Lurking in Forrest Lawn Memorial Park, Cypress, Cal.

I know a sister who 'works' the cemetery in her ministy. She places literature with grieving people and even conducts Bible studies on the grave site. Just TOO Creepy for me.

• Ri
    Ri

I find many college students, taking their morning exercise there and even spectators, like myself who find them rather pleaseant places to visit. Especially with the Autmnal Equinox that's due to arrive on the 23rd of this month, fall makes a cemetery a place of pure magic. They are usually very safe, the grounds are well maintained. I adore visiting, as many have a quaint aerie nature, filled with mystique and awe. They once were used for public meetings, gatherings, family picnics. That was before Holy-Wood came and added the additional macabre factor via movies and the like. Since the advent of the Boogey Man, cemeteries have lost thier pleaseant appeal and charm.

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is a place to tarry for picnics and such. People from all over the world make trips there to visit the rich and famous departed. Hayrides are given to children on Holloween night. It is quite a cheery sight.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I could never do that because cemetaries freak me out I even hate going to funerals. They remind me of death and mourning.

• Ri
    Ri

Howver my dear Dad, RIP, died in 1989. My religous nut mother has had the words 'Safe in Jehovah's memory' written in gold on his gravestone.

Shell, To honor your Mother's wishes is the best thing to do. He was her husband.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Not wise to go in a lot of the cemeteries near here - too many living dead hang around in there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit