Awake 1980- Movie "The Exorcist 1+2 will cause demonic attacks and murders!

by Witness 007 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Another Urban legend:

Chris de Burgh was playing on stage and lulled into the mic: "If there are Witnesses in this jam-packed concert hall, please leave otherwise my guitar demon will play very badly or not at all and I can't afford to pay the tickets back to thousands of people."

Or something like that. Chris de Burghs guitar-playing demon. Nice. Idiots.

I watchted the Exorcist as a 12 year old Witness kid. Nothing happened. Maybe because it was the same night where I had my first glass of alcohol.

Never watchted The Ring though,.....should go and watch it now.

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

Pft. I've watched the Exorcist many times, and while yes, it's a creepy movie, nothing bad has happened to me. Although when I went to buy the Blu-Ray, this lady in the store asked "Are you seriously BUYING that?". Well, considering that I was standing at the cashiers with my wallet out, yeah, yeah, I was buying it.

My Dad has told me many times that I'm going to get demon attacks because of my horror movie collection. Considering that I've gone to see the band Ghost and happily sang along to lyrics like "Believe in one God do we, Satan almighty", "The Devil's power is the greatest one" and "Hail Satan!" and the worst that happened was that I had a zombie nightmare and got the stomach flu the next day, I'm really not too worried.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

The Filthy Critic's review of "The Exorcist" (one of the funniest movie reviews I ever read):

http://www.filthycritic.com/index.php/old-reviews/horror/item/159-the-exorcist

Over the years, I've watched the movie maybe four times -- it loses its scare the second time. But still an interesting story.

Demons? Believe the movie? I've got some real estate in the Everglades for sale. A real bargain.

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

Another Urban legend:

Chris de Burgh was playing on stage and lulled into the mic: "If there are Witnesses in this jam-packed concert hall, please leave otherwise my guitar demon will play very badly or not at all and I can't afford to pay the tickets back to thousands of people."

Or something like that. Chris de Burghs guitar-playing demon. Nice. Idiots.

I was told a similar urban legend by my mom, except it was John Denver. And there was no demon; he just hated Jehovah's Witnesses and allegedly invited any JWs in the audience to leave at the beginning of every concert (suuuuuuuure he did).

The legend continued that he was on the Tonight Show and Johnny Carson ordered him off the show because he had JWs on his staff (never happened, of course).

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ordered.asp

• Think About It
    Think About It

What's funny is........I had to leave the Jehovah Witness religion to keep my head from spinning.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Never saw the exocist in full. But, the filthy critic is pretty funny. I probably wouldn't like the guy, if i actually had to talk to him.

S

• Watkins
    Watkins

LOL @ Think About It.

Oh, but the book was VERY scary. I read it when it first came out in the 70's. Never even wanted to watch the film after that - it really spooked me, that Catholic voodoo! When I did finally watch the movie many years later, like many of you thought, it was so lame.

Of course, the book is always better, more details. Your imagination is far better at frightening you than anything you can see on the screen... I guess your brain protects you with 'it's just a movie'. But the book was much deeper and darker than film can record. There is at least one mental image I associate with it - I believe the word 'scuttling' was involved - not portrayed in the movie because it's physically impossible and it was before computer-generated inserts. Ugh... still gives me the creeps, but not because of the demonic aspect, because I don't believe demons can just latch onto you... I just ...never have believed that.

Makes me happy that I just wasn't superstitious enough to ever have remained a good, believe-in-the-fds-myth jw!

Was there no hoopla about such horror classics as 'Day of the Living Dead' or 'Return of the Living Dead'? No? I suspect the wt found the comparisons too close to the reality of the jw-prescribed theocratic-comic-book lifestyle. <those are zombies, aren't they?

watkins

• A question
    A question

BluePill2 - you have a PM.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The exorcist was one of the "must watch" films when we exited cult. All these stories about how scary it is, the hype of possible possession made me feel like the ultimate sinner, you could feel the anticipation in the room as nugget and I watched the opening credits.

It was the most disappointing film EVER! It was laughably unimaginative, the horror was predictable and pace was on par with a salted slug.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Hey, if a sofa or a book can be demonized, why not The Exorcist?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit