What happens when we die?

by Tatiana 55 Replies latest jw friends

• lalliv01
    lalliv01

Hi Tatiana, I'm so sorry for your loss. Most of us have lost dear ones and know what an awful feeling this is. It is a horrible feeling.

When I lost a dear one, I felt so bad that I was willing to give my own life in order to get that person back, but, as you well know, that just isn't an

option.

What happens when you die? Let me tell you an experience that explains what I believe happens when a person dies.

Back in the 1960's my dear wife had an operation to remove her gall bladder. In those days sugeons would put the patient to sleep

so they could cut the patient's abdomen, reach in there and cut the gall bladder out. When the operation was over with, I was by

my wife's side to welcome her back to the world (THE BEATLES, THE VIETNAM WAR, AND BILLS, SIGH!).

My wife, groggily, opened her eyes, smiled at me and said,"I guess they're getting ready to take me into the operating room."

I said, chuckling, "It's done, it's over, you've been operated on and now all you have to do is get better so I can take you home!

Her eyes widened and she said, "What?"

I said, "The operation was a succses, It's over!" We were both so happy. We were two happy 20 year old's.

My point? My wife did not know she was gone,unconcious, for a few hours. She woke up, her life continued, and she never,ever,

has missed those hours of her life when she was "gone".

In the bible,(John 11:11-43), we find the story of Lazarus, a dear friend of Jesus, who had died. Jesus came to ressurect him, then and there.

Lazarus's sister said to Christ, "I know that he shall rise again in the ressurection at the last day." (jhn.11:24). But it was Jesus' intention to

ressurect Lazuras now, on that day.

Jesus said to Martha, "Take ye away the stone. Martha,the sister of him that was dead,saith unto him,Lord,by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four

days. Then they took away the stone from the placewhere the dead were laid....And when he thus had spoken, He cried with a loud voice, Lazarus,

come forth. And he that was dead came forth,bound hand and foot with grave-clothes:and his face was bound about with with a napkin. Jesus

saith unto them, loose him, and let him go. (John 11:39,42,44)

Oh what a joyous time that must have been, for Jesus, the friends, family,Lazarus's sisters, and for Lazarus.

So, there will be a ressurection,("at the last day"), and I believe your dear granddaughter will be there, and hopefully you, and all of us here, will

also be there also to rejoice with you.

Some here may say something about a clone, or whatever, I don't want to hear it, not on this thread. When my wife came back to me from her

gall-bladder operation, I knew she wasn't the same exact person as the one that went under the knife three hours earlier. but, nobody is the

same from one minute to the next, are they?

To me, she was, the very same person. Proof? she's right here by me.

Tatiana, My deepest sorrows to you and your family.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

(((((((Tatiana)))))) Feel a warm hug, I feel your hurt.. and wish I could take it away

One of the Tibetan lamas, Sogyal Rinpoche, says that for up to about twenty-one days after a person dies they are more connected to the previous life than to the next one. So for this period in particular the loved ones can be encouraged to continue their (silent) communication with the deceased person - to say their good-byes, finish any unfinished business, reassure the dead person, encourage them to let go of their old life and to move on to the next one.

It can be reassuring even just to talk to the dead person and at some level to know that they are probably receiving your message. The mind of the deceased person at this stage can still be subtle and receptive.

Although I cannot commit to any belief system, I have read a lot on the buddhists theories, and also feel there is a lot to the buddhist way of thinking. I guess really, I cannot consider myself an Athiest.

After my youngest brother committed suicide just over 2 years ago, I had an remarkable experience. I was devestated beyond belief.. he was a hurting soul. I took a bike trip along the Yukon River alone. I was consumed with thoughts of him.. I talked to him.. I yelled at this so called god christianity speaks of.

Late in the day.. after all that.. I was sitting beside the river bank.. and I felt him.. I knew he was okay.. I knew he was peaceful wherever he was. It was like he touched me for only a moment with peace. I do not have answers for anything.. there is nothing concrete to grasp. But I do know.. that moment.. I felt him.. and knew he comforted me and let me know he was okay now.

In my mind.. if we were even to believe the bibles theory of our souls/spirit, we do not totally die. How can we? There has to be something left of us to carry on for this god to bring us back. I do not hold the bibles theories to my heart.. but I do believe that those who leave us.. are peaceful and do carry on.

Very warm hugs to you Tatiana..

LTF

• Twitch
    Twitch
    I am glad you feel that way twitch and everyone else who thinks I am being cold. There are a bunch of liars here with no compassion whatsoever. They think by ridiculing believers of the Lord God Almighty they have joy. But they are wrong. Making a mockery out of everything. Grasping at the wind, you have no answers but you crave them....when you get them you can't accept them....then don't ask if you know you would not give God the Glory and praise for it.

Hibie,

I don't think it's appropriate to grind the personal axe you have for atheists on this particular thread, which was apparent in your comment. Someone suffered the loss of a family member and you're passing judgement without regard for it's impact because you don't agree with their beliefs? Rather harsh don't you think? Somehow, I would think one who loves their neighbor or at least follows the idea would show a modicum of compassion for the subject. I think Jesus would, don't you? And on the off chance he wouldn't, I'd have to say he is nobody I would look up to or follow. But if that's your personal Jesus, he ain't mine. (To me, it's more the idea than the literal)

Nobody is lying here. People are saying what they believe. You don't have to believe what they do; it's your right. And vice versa. Debate it all you want; I don't care. If you're gonna dish it out, better be prepared to take some in return. But let's leave the judgement up the Father, it's his job, not yours. I would think He wants us to at least try to play nice in the sandbox.

And of course, you do realize you've picked some very tough soil to try and plant seeds, don't you? Not that I disagree with the idea behind it, I just don't like the method. Seems counter productive in a few ways. I must admit, you do have courage of conviction, to a fault, lol. Go easy there, eh? Intolerance is poison.

Anyways, that's my piece.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tat:
    {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Hibiscus:
    That really is harsh. Go peddle your nonsense elsewhere. There is never any reason to be that cold in the face of someone else's grief!

Cheetos:Most folks here are familiar with the Bible Students view. It triggers reactions rather than offer comfort. Just because its another evolution from the same source doesn't make it any more right than what the JWs have. Worse - it's longer than a Watchtower article!!!

• saywhat29
    saywhat29
    Most folks here are familiar with the Bible Students view. It triggers reactions rather than offer comfort. Just because its another evolution from the same source doesn't make it any more right than what the JWs have. Worse - it's longer than a Watchtower article!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing.... for a moment I was wondering where my highlighter was, and where were the questions I had to answer...

Anyways (((Tatiana))) I am so sorry for your lost- I can't imagine the pain you are going through- to lose a grandchild... I really do not what to say and I wish I could give you an answer like those who so boldly believe in God or in a faith can give, but I want you to know that I believe where ever your sweet grandchild is, she is not suffering. I too still feel the belief of the Jws surrounding death, that you are gone and that is it and the only thing you have is to wait in Jehovah's memory, but I can't imagine having to face the viewpoint in the situation you are in- the pain and anguish you must be going through. I think it is important to get out and not be afraid to talk with others who are grieving, like a support group. I know it won't make anything better and it will not give you thing one thing you want, to hold your baby again, but you an work out those issues with people instead of a computer screen. There's some great advice here but there is nothing like human contact that makes things more easier.

Personally, holding my agnostic viws I believe life should be celebrated as well, the now and when one's past and leaves us, we have to mourn... but we also have to celebrate them, their lives and how they touched us. Of course it takes time to get there but I thnk by doing that it will make it easier to deal with the lost and doing it with your family will help all of you. Plan something in her memory and not be afraid to cry if it comes to it, just do not let the pan take your life away becaue you know your grandchild would want you to not continually hurt like that.

Now I'm just mumbling but I just wanted to say that adn I' sorry for your lost and I'm sorry that folks can take a thread and take the time to grind axes when this isn't the plae for it and I hope you can see that sometimes people don't realize what they are saying.

• eclipse
    eclipse

My heart goes out to you and your family, Tatiana

There is nothing worse than losing a child.

My deepest condolences to you.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Just wanted to add:

Hibie: You bring reproach apon all christians for your cruel words.

I am glad that most christians are not like you. The ones that are, well you and they, give christians a bad name.

If I was a christian, I would be ashamed to be called one because of what you said. It was uncalled for and unessesarily mean.

Next time you go to type something, think about what Jesus would say first, and not just about your passion for him.

• tula
    tula

I died already. I had what is called a NDE Near Death Experiene. It took me a long time to come to terms with what happened to me. I could hear everything going on around me and I could SEE even though I was unconscious and all the machines read that I was dead. I was in and out between two planes of existence. Later when I tried to research to understand what had happened to me...I found many people talk about being in tunnel. For me, it was not a "tunnel" but completely surrounded by deep darkness that goes on forever. Out on the horizon I saw an undulating ball of yellow light. As I got closer it burst into silverly blue-white rays/beams and was dramatic and fantastic. I did not see Jesus. I did not see my dead grandmother.

The nursing staff brought me back from the "clutches of death" and I slipped into a coma for 2 and a half days. I do remember thoughts or dreams whatever it was just before I awoke. It was the deepest most restful sleep I have ever had in my life. When I woke up, I felt so renewed I could have conquered the world. But then a nurse came in to pull the breathing tube or whatever you call it... and she lifted my arm and spoke to herself saying "oh, you're jaundiced". So as soon as I awoke, seeing my yellow skin...the conquer the world energy left me.

I do not think this life is all there is. I know there is something more.

I am very sorry for your loss. There must be some reason we all have to expeience this deepest of griefs.

Maybe one can only know joy to the depths we have known grief.

Maybe someday we will all know joy to a greater depth. There is just too much grief in this existence. I am sorry for your pain.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

we are reality dreaming about ourself, how we do it I suspect no one will ever know, but for each of us, we have NEVER known a moment when we did not exist and NEVER shall.

if you come from nothing and return to nothing, why can't that nothing bring you back again?

we seem to be individual waves upon the same ocean... the energy of one wave never vanishes but spawns a new wave, several waves, or is combined with other waves.

people ask if there are souls how can new people arise... if you see the source as fluid and ever changing... it makes more sense.

in buddhism there are no permanent souls that trasfer from life to life, only an energy which obeys the laws of karma or cause/effect.

in buddhism re-birth is not looked upon as a good thing, but something to escape...as their first noble truth is that existing is ultimately filled with dissatisfactions or sufferings.

I personally do not believe escape is possible nor even desirable but thats just me and I am a dreamer not a buddhist.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

But Jesus said, Suffer ( allow ) little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 19:14

When children die they go to heaven.

hibiscusfire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit