Disturbing news on the deaths of the 5 elders

by TooBad TooSad 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

Certainly very sorry for the families. I was comforted when my mom died that 'soon' she would be resurrected. That was 37 years ago! I am now more comforted that she has been already in a better place all these years.

• anewme
    anewme

Oh you guys really know how to put me right back in the grips of the JW nausea and torment
    with your writing skills!
    That whole dismal JW teaching about the future prospects of the resurrected ones is hogwash!
    They are making the whole thing up! Jesus was talking about those who inherit heavenly life!
    They will be like angels and neither marry nor be given in marriage!
    I know I know, he was answering the pharisees who asked about a woman who had seven husbands.
    But Im sure he was talking about those who go to heaven.

How else could old Sarah and others like her, Anna the prophetess, etc. be so confident that God would give them earthly rewards in the resurrection? Abraham believed God could resurrect his son Isaac.
    Didnt the ancient Jews believe their marriages would survive death? They did not believe in a heavenly reward! What did they look forward to???? Life again. Marriage again. Families again!

In my gut I dont believe the Watchtower Pedo Bachelors have the red hotline to knowledge of the hereafter.

• undercover
    undercover

I heard some disturbing news regarding what happened as well but it wasn't related to the donation arrangment.

What I heard hasn't been confirmed but I know some people from that area and the reports that I've heard was that these brothers were traveling to a site that could have been gotten to in about an hours drive. It was also reported that they had trouble taking off...they had to use the entire runway to get the plane up. The consensus seems to be that the plane was overloaded.

With this sketchy, unconfirmed information, I have to wonder just how prudent it was to force too many people, too much weight on a plane when they could have taken a couple of cars and been there sooner anyway than messing with flying and all the pre-flight and post-flight stuff.

Of course, hindsight is 20-20, but it seems, if the info is correct, that some bad decisions were made, one after the other, that helped lead to the tragedy that will impact several families for a long time to come.

• Mary
    Mary
    One of the things is that several articles reported the brothers requesting that in lieu of sending flowers to the family or the burial service to sent contributions to the Kingdom Hall. These five families have lost their material providers. The wifes and children are going to need money not the Kingdom Hall.

I agree 100%. Since women are discouraged from ever working outside the home or getting a decent education (which would open up opportunities for better paying jobs), they are going to be royally screwed if their husbands didn't have life insurance. This is one aspect I never understood, even when I was a Witness. If someone is married with children, it only makes sense that they would have life insurance in case something happened to them. For example, lets say for arguments sake, that Armegeddon will be here in 5 years. The wife and children of the deceased still have to find a way to live for the next 5 years, so why the hell would they not want to get a life insurance policy?? That's just stupid.

I can only guess who the KH will send the money to. I wonder if the WTBS had life insurance policies for these 5 men? They certainly were doing the work of the organizaton.

I doubt it. These men were not "employees" of the Organization, merely "volunteers", so I doubt that the Society would have policies on them. However, they apparently have no problem accepting donations that SHOULD be going to the widows and orphans'-------how bloody typical is that?

• Dagney
    Dagney
    At nonjw funerals the widow is given many, many cards with money in them. I know a widow who received quite a large sum from all these helpful people. She was able to get through the next few months and consentrate on grief and that of her children and still make the housepayments and other household expenses.

We just had a funeral in my family. Not one JW family member, including a child of the deceased, or JW friend, (several elders), offered to contribute or gave money to the family. The non-JW's however provided food, money in envelopes and paid for some services. By their works you will know them.

The list keeps getting longer.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

You gotta have the wand or there aint no comfort. Money helps, but its the wand that helps people make it through the night. It may not be my wand anymore but it's theirs. One day they will awake to how empty it really is and purchase another wand that makes better sense. Hopefully they will move on and rebuild their lives. W.Once

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

how disgusting.

To sum up,

They prevent people from making preparations like insurance, give false comfort by poo pooing the grief, and then, not only won't help out widows and orphans, but may very well be stealing their donations too?

It's not just their fruits, but the love among them that will identify Christ's followers, and this bunch ain't it!

RD

• changeling
    changeling

I think we all need to realize that the "donations to the Society in lieu of flowers" is the desicion of the famlies and we need to respect their wishes at this time.

This is a terrible tragedy pain and simple.

changeling

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I find hard to believe that the congregation is asking to have any monies donated to KH to receive that money and use it for KH contributions instead of giving it to the grieving families. Even though I faded over a year ago, I can't still accuse the Org. or the congregations of deceptions of that magnitude. Call me naive, still under their control, whatever, but I don't really believe that their decisions are all based on some hidden motive.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Undercover, do you know the type and or tail number of the AC? This reminds me of the Tenet crash in NH back in the early 80s? What a tragedy. My youngest brother was with the party of searchers that was first on the scene. And I was there the next day, what a mess. If I remember correctly, he was flying in conditions he was not rated for. Exercising poor judgement flying *any* aircraft WILL kill you without remorse.

Edited to add . . . Never mind . . 95stormfront beat me to it on another post. Overloaded and with the heat, humidity and density altitude, the pilot was irresponsibly stupid to put even 3 large people on that plane.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit