Did God kill Adam & Eve?

by return visitor 28 Replies latest jw friends

• return visitor
    return visitor

We were taught by the borg that death is the result of sin. However, notice what the Genesis account says:

And Jehovah God went on to say: "Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—" 23 With that Jehovah God put him out of the garden of E´den to cultivate the ground from which he had been taken. 24 And so he drove the man out and posted at the east of the garden of E´den the cherubs and the flaming blade of a sword that was turning itself continually to guard the way to the tree of life.

So it wasn't sin that did them in, it was god taking away the tree of life. Well i ask you if I deprived someone of something that they need to live, like food or air, and they die as a result then didn't I kill them? Doesn't that make me a murderer?

Just asking, what do you think?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    We were taught by the borg that death is the result of sin. However, notice what the Genesis [stop]

He sure seems to be quicker at it these days...

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

the way i see it, if you believe the bible story, god has murdered everyone in history. if you supposedly have the ability to save a life, and choose not to, i think that makes you a murderer. or at least an responsible for those deaths.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello RV, I see your point. No argument from me.

Another possibility is that God created man but doesnt want us to know all the details. The trip wouldnt be as dramatic and exciting if we knew the truth.

Its kind of like a trip to the movies or disney land, except god suspended our perception of reality for us.

I suspect we once were spirits with god or are god and got bored with the perfection of the spirit realm so we have materialized here on the pleasure planet for some recreation and amusement.

Another possibility is that the garden of Eden is a story. That never happened.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

If God gave life then surely he has the right to take it away?......

and if these two individuals were supposed to be perfect then they have no excuse for their error.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux
    and if these two individuals were supposed to be perfect then they have no excuse for their error

no offense man, but, this kind of statement always drove me nuts. perfection means flawless. if you are of perfect mind and body, you will never make a mistake. what is the biblical definition of perfect? what of angels? if they are also "perfect" why do we supposedly have satan and demons? if the story is based in fact, we are missing some valuable information.

• horrible life
    horrible life

You eat the fruit, you either throw away the seeds, or you eat them. Even if you eat them, they will go through undigested. Did Jehovah do a colon cleansing before he kicked them out??? OMG the possibilities are amazing!!!! Birds. Where are the birds? They probably ate of this tree, and flew off, and deposited seeds of this wonderful tree. We could have trees all over the world now. Which tree do I go out and eat from? Acorns, horse apples, sweet gum balls?? (though, the sweet gum balls, would be kinda hard to pass)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Glad he missed you...

As the Genesis tale now stands, I would say that nobody is actually killed -- contrary to Yhwh's initial threat to Adam, "on the day you eat from it you will die". Both knowledge and immortality are pictured as divine opportunities (neither of which is offered to man, but both happen to fall within his hand's reach). One he gets hold of and the other he misses (because the gods prevent him). Through the "tree of knowledge" man raises above the common lot of "flesh" into the divine realm, by failing to reach the "tree of life" he remains within the realm of flesh -- mortal.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    if you are of perfect mind and body, you will never make a mistake.

Yes i see your point mate. But look at it from God's viewpoint he gave them life & everything they needed to sustain it and all he asked for in return was their obedience but they couldn't even do that.

So surely God had a right to judge them in the way that he chose to.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    So surely God had a right to judge them in the way that he chose to.

You are right, if god does exist he could do what ever he wants, who is going to stop him? It still does not make it okay, it just means that god is a tyrant, "do has I say or die".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit