6 Million People

by OnTheWayOut 16 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The number of JW's is between 6 and 7 million people. Many ex-JW's would love to see the
    news make a bigger deal of JW-related scandals and news items. We need to understand that
    6 million people is not a big deal to most people and to the press.

To illustrate what 6 million people represents, a few facts are in order

Approximately 6 million European Jews were killed in the Holocaust. Various sources believe that
    as many as 11 million people were killed, but 6 million were Jews. Certainly, this was of huge
    importance 50 years ago, but long before all Holocaust surivivors could pass away, it was already
    possible for many to deny the actuality of the event. (Let's not debate these numbers or issues-
    the point is that it only took a few decades to minimize the importance of 6 million people.)

Hurricane Katrina was the most destructive and costliest natural disaster to occur in
    the United States. Nearly 5 million people lived in the path of Katrina. An additional 1.3 million
    lived in the New Orleans metropolitan area at the time of the hurricane. Although not in the direct
    path of Katrina, New Orleans was devastated by a massive flood that occurred as a result. Government
    policy makers need to understand the problems faced by these more than 6 million people as they try
    to reconstruct their lives. http://hurricanekatrina.med.harvard.edu/

Katrina victims reconstructing their lives- just over 6 million of them. Sure, they got a lot of press.
    They were all clearly victims. Still, a couple of years later- most people are tired of hearing about it.
    What coverage is there of following up on these more than 6 million victims? Outside the U.S., is there
    really much talk about them? Not gone, not forgotten- but not so important to most people after 2 years.

Baghdad is a city of 6 million people. In August of 2007, major portions of this city were without running
    water for about 6 days while the temperature ranged from 115 to 120 degrees Farenheit. Since those
    people are "in another world" to most of the world, was there an outcry about this. Did you even know
    about this problem? If this happened to a population center of 6 million people in the U.S. or in Europe, it
    might be a huge report. But it is largely ignored because it happened somewhere else.

In March, Microsoft announced that more than 6 million gamers worldwide are using Xbox Live for the Xbox 360.
    That doesn't sound like a big deal to everyone else, does it?

Similarly, Nasonex says that more than 6 million people used their product last year- who really cares about that?

In April, 2006, 5.7 million (nearly 6 million) unique visitors visited the official World Cup soccer tournament web site
    hosted by Yahoo. Again, who really cares about that?

Last year, it was announced that "World of Warcraft" (an online multiplayer role-playing game) reached 6 million people
    as customers. Do most of us even know what that is?

In April, 2006, it was reported that since President Bush took office in the U.S., agents have apprehended and sent
    home more than 6 million people entering the country illegally. Doesn't that seem like a drop in the bucket?
    The actual number of current illegal immigrants in the U.S. is largely disputed. The 2000 Census estimated that there
    were 8.7 million, while the U.S. Immigration Services put the number at 7 million in 2003, growing by as much as
    500,000 per year since then. The number is greatly disputed between 7 and 20 million current illegal immigrants in the
    U.S. now. The point is that there are plenty to replace the 6 million sent home, so they are not really missed.
    The current issue is covered often in the press, but the stories are dropped whenever a celebrity dies or accidentally
    reveals their butt while climbing out of a car.

It is estimated that 6 million Americans have bought prescription drugs online. That is significant, and it is a fast-growing
    number. It is just starting to be a significant number.

Much of what I report here, I do from a U.S. prospective. In the U.S., there are only 1 million JW's and much less in other
    countries around the world. While many groups contain much larger numbers of people, they are greatly forgotten also.
    I think the point here is that NOBODY REALLY CARES ABOUT SUCH AN INSIGNIFICANT GROUP. We have to remember
    that when we scream at the top of our lungs about the problems. Other ex-JW's care, but the world doesn't.

• bluebell
    bluebell
    Last year, it was announced that "World of Warcraft" (an online multiplayer role-playing game) reached 6 million people
    customers. Do most of us even know what that is?

I know! aka as WoW :) but i played city of heroes, it was supposedly better.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

You make a good point, the world doesn't really care. But if screaming and yelling out about the problems brings even a handful of people inside to see the reality of things, I'll scream anyday.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    But if screaming and yelling out about the problems brings even a handful of people inside to see the reality of things, I'll scream anyday.

Scream away. That's the way to get noticed. Just don't be surprised by the lack of response in
    most cases. Keep screaming, though. In many of the cases, 6 million were not forgotten.

• Scully
    Scully

People generally feel a great deal of compassion when we see a number that equates to a huge number of victims who had no control over their being victimized (6 million Jews being murdered in the Holocaust or 6.5 million people devastated by Hurricane Katrina), but not so much when the number involves as many people who are willing (although unwitting) participants in their own victimization (6.5 million JWs worldwide, the number of persons with drug addiction problems increased from 14.5 million (6.5 percent of the population) in 2000 to 16.6 million (7.3%) in 2001 Link).

I think that's the main reason why exJWs are pretty much the only ones who comprehend the enormity of the problem of being in a group like the JWs.

• Gill
    Gill

It is hard for people in general to 'care' about a bunch of arrogant numb skulls who basically bring their own problems on themselves by not employing critical thinking.

They are a different breed of 'victim' in that they 'need' to feel victimised or persecuted in order to feel good about themselves.

There hope for the future stems from their need for negativity.

Why give them the validation they seek by attempting to point out their flaws?

They are a 'problem' of which it can effectively be said, 'Ignore them and they will go away!'

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Why give them the validation they seek by attempting to point out their flaws?

They are a 'problem' of which it can effectively be said, 'Ignore them and they will go away!'

Simple, some of us have loved ones we know are good but deluded people still in the borg and we keep in hope that they will wake up someday!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

To the world, JWism is inconsequential.

For many here, JWism was our world.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

It only takes 1 famous person to do something stupid to get endless attention. I think that's because we enjoy people falling from grace.

Now you indicat that 4% of the US population is JW. Does someone have any figures whether this is their peak or are they able to recruit faster than they are losing.?

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I don't think that ignoring a disease will make it go away. We all need to plant reality seeds. They may not be listening, but the brain still hears you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit