The peace racket

by John Doe 33 Replies latest jw friends

• franzy
    franzy

hey roller dave

got yerself a nice gunrack installed in that there monster
    truck, do ya?

i'll take my chances with the "department of peace", and
    those who really care about a sense of fair play in the world.
    terroristic states (usa chief among therm) just don't do it
    for me anymore. that's one good concept that those darned
    jw's instilled in me, that we're all brothers and sisters in
    this big, bad world....i'll give up my car in a flash if that
    helps this government pursue policies that are not about
    raping the rest of the world.

protection is one thing, but far different than the blatantly
    criminal policies and activities of this government in modern
    history.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

RD,

Thank you. I was recounting the many wars the US has been involved in and my brain locked somewhere about the spanish american.

The rest of your post is bollocks.

If you want peace, make it a bad bet to attack you.

It is a bad idea to attack the USA, but not because we are the biggest bully in the world. It is for the same reason that we have not been attacked in nearly 200 years. Private gun ownership. No army in the world could attack us and win, or at least the cost to them would be so great that it would not be worth it.

Stalin, polpot, and the rest... We cannot and should not be the worlds police force. That is true patriotism RD. Nothing to do with party afil.

This is no time for feelgood catch phrases that mean nothing like 'rich men start wars, poor men fight them' and 'war profiteers.'

So you really think we are in Iraq to fight for our freedom? I am not a liberal RD, I resent that statement. I am not squeamish or afraid to fight. We are currently the aggressors in an imperialistic war. It is sick.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Why is it peace is associated with bending over and saying please kick me? This should be easy. Be peaceable as long as its humanly possible, of course tyrants who mass murder need to be stopped, but that is of itself promoting peace, for those who are innocent victims. However, getting involved in a war for political reasons, greed or because you just can as a "superpower" is not promoting peace at all. It's called being the playground bully. Problem with the playground bully, someone always eventually stands up to them and payback is a bitch.

• franzy
    franzy

by the way, roller dave, so as not to sound too negative
    on ya,

your sense of humour is great. i loved your response on the
    the thread started by the combination poster, you suggested
    "wearelegion" as a good screen name. gave me my best laugh
    of the night.

matt

• changeling
    changeling

Thank you JD.

To sum up peace movements by saying that to stand for peace you have to appease tyranny is innacurate and oversimplistic.

I srongly believe that to want peace you have to prepare for peace. You have to live it in your everyday life and you have to teach it by example.

You have to teach that peace is indeed possible if everyone works towards it.

Of course concessions are made! How else to you come to a mutually acceptable solution to anything! But it must work both ways. That's were education and example come in. Changing the way people think and making the ground fertile for peace.

As long as there are tangible threats to a nation's peace, a stong militarry force is a necessary evil. But that force needs to be educated about peace as well, rather than creating blood thisty brutes.

Change takes place first in the mind, then it can take hold in reality.

If we fight the very idea of peace, we will never have peace.

changeling

• franzy
    franzy

nicely said, changeling

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

George Bush has shown that world leaders dont even read history to be able to ignore it.

Just grab your seat and hang on.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Franzy:

got yerself a nice gunrack installed in that there monster
    truck, do ya?

ROFL, good one. no, but that doesn't mean I'm not packin'!

terroristic states (usa chief among therm) just don't do it

Yawn.

i'll give up my car in a flash if that helps this government pursue policies that are not about raping the rest of the world.

You do that. I'll be installing headers and a steeper cam in my truck. I don't believe we are 'raping the rest of the world' but you have the freedom to think such nonsense and I have the freedom to disagree.

IP_SEC:

Thank you. I was recounting the many wars the US has been involved in and my brain locked somewhere about the spanish american.

No prob, anything I can do. ;)

The rest of your post is bollocks.

Everyone's got an opinion, fair enough.

So you really think we are in Iraq to fight for our freedom?

Well, it's been Law since 1998 that we supported Iraqi regime change, but Clinton lacked the balls to do anything about it, now we are there and I notice that all the Allahu Whackbars are over there too, better there than here. The more we kill there, the less we will have here. I have people in the Army over there, I support them.

I am not a liberal RD, I resent that statement. I am not squeamish or afraid to fight..

Noted. To be fair, I was not referring to you and am aware the feelgood quotes weren't yours. I neglected to reference the posters name after referencing yours, entirely my bad and I apologise.

We are currently the aggressors in an imperialistic war.

I appreciate your opinion, but cannot agree. If we are imperialists, we are about the worst at it in history. Our soldiers go spill blood against tyranny, then they come home and we give the country and its resources back to the people who live there. I wish we WOULD be just a small portion of what you allege.

I still respect ya, IP_SEC, I know we agree on some stuff, but not everything. how boring it would be if we did. I'll stioll be reading your poats, K?

franzy:

by the way, roller dave, so as not to sound too negative on ya,

Not to worry, thick skin here, no offense taken.

your sense of humour is great. i loved your response on the the thread started by the combination poster

Thank you! I try.

all:

Well, that was nice, disagreement, discussion, a little invective, mutual respect (but not MutualRespectPlease), nobody tore off my head.

Maybe I'll take a chance on these type threads more often.

RD

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Peace through superior firepower.

perhaps JD was dropped on his head by a yogi when he was a baby. his statement shows that no attention has been given to the difference between peace and security. physical security, not peace, comes from superior firepower. to say that peace is acheived by superior firepower ignores the fact that the individual (and society) with superior fire power do not experience inner peace. security does not lead to peace. the two aren't even related.

outer peace comes from inner peace. outer war comes from inner war.

that said, it's not that wanting peace will bring more war, it's just that it won't stop it. so, indeed, prepare. why? because wanting involves having. having involves owning. and owning involves war. even if it is inner war.

if you "want" peace, cease simply desiring peace and become it, regardless of what others are doing around you.

-- (the heavy load of history that the snail pulls)

tetra

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

a most excellent post TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit