I was wondering!

• oompa
    oompa

How good are my WHAT?

only witness skills.....oompa

• bluebell
    bluebell

they getting better, SLOWLY.

When I no longer have a massive chip on my shoulder about having been a witness I will know I am cured! At the moment I often feel the need to expalin my lack of old friends and lack of contact with my family and then I end up ranting and the people just look at me like I'm mad! lmao.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I have very good social skills, especially on a superficial chit chat level with strangers, I actually think, don't kill me here guys and gals, knocking door to door all those years, enabled me to get over a fear of starting a conversation. If I could knock on some strangers door trying to cram the Craptower down their throats, having a casual conversation is pretty easy. Anytime I have felt intimidated its linked to explaining why I never went to uni, or why my family doesn't celebrate holidays etc.

I have been very fortunate though to develop a couple wonderful friendships with people who love me unconditionally, something I never experienced with any jw friendship(that was always, I love you till you leave "Jehovah", then they don't wanna know your name). Friends who are there regardless of what I believe, through thick and thin.

• 5go
    5go

Social Skills you mean I have to get skilled in that too!

• Terry
    Terry

Without sounding too banal...

we discover who we are largely by measuring our social success.

As we compare our family to the family of friends and our skills with competition in sports and our grades in school with fellow students a picture emerges.

Are we shy or outgoing? Are we a smooth talker or halting and misunderstood?

Our self-discovery can turn to contempt for others which is a misidirected anger out our self for not measuring up.

Eventually we come to a natural line in the sand (as it were) which is the fullest extent of who/what we are vis a vis other people. To cross that line and truly be omni-social and successful in a social situation we have to determine how to TRANSCEND our own built-in limits.

Helen Keller was pretty much raw material until (through her mentor) she conceptually transcended her physical limits. Her intellectual journey was astounding. Few of us try as hard as she did.

The only sin one commit socially is to be completely indifferent to our impact on others. It a kind of self-murder.

The influence we potentially have for the good is unlimited. But, indifference throws the good into the mud and tramples it.

The opposite of social skill is deliberate rudeness, crudeness and apathy toward the limits of others.

We are all on a voyage of self-discovery. It is our social interaction that tells the tale, ultimately, of who/what we become when we become who we are.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Perhaps one day I will meet some of you and you can let me know if my skills are sufficient, or if I need improvement.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Just being able to post on these forums and deal with whatever response you get is a huge step for anyone.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    How good are your SOCIAL SKILLS?

I dunno, you tell me.

• BrentR
    BrentR

As far as guys go as long as you are not one of those that has to "one up" everything that is ever mentioned I can hang with you. We all know those guys. No matter what you are talking about they have always done it four times allready and once when they were drunk. I would rather be around a whinner/complainer then the "oneupper".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit