Faith vs Accurate Knowledge

by writetoknow 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Jehovah Witnesses state that “accurate knowledge” is the “key” to gaining eternal life in a new world paradise.

Upon gaining this accurate knowledge of the scriptures they can then be baptized into the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Although that organization may presently be under going a name change do to recent sex scandals plaguing the group.

Basing their doctrinal teaching of “accurate knowledge” from John17: 3 of the New World Translation. However, other translation put the verse this way: And this is eternal life; to know Thee, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent. The Berkeley Version.

Because of this doctrine Jehovah’s Witnesses are not truly baptized into Christ nor are they any longer baptized under the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit , but rather they are under the legal organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses. My contention is, they have elevated “accurate knowledge” to the place of Christ. Thus, the worship of “accurate knowledge” translates into eternal life by being a baptized members of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society.

Thus, to survive the end of the world and go through Armageddon and receive eternal life comes through the “accurate knowledge” of scriptures rather then accepting Christ as our savoir. In other words, it is accurate knowledge that obligates God to protect the group through the Great Tribulation and Armageddon rather then faith in the blood of Christ. (correctly stated in Revelation: being washed in the blood of the lamb; which means salvation)

Jehovah’s Witnesses are dubiously required to put their faith in the governing body because according to their teachings the GB are the only group on earth that can accurately explain the scriptures. Thus, to disagree with the teachings of GB is equivalent of rejecting God and Jesus Christ.

Subsequently, if the governing body changes a doctrinal teaching or they fail in one of their many predictions it is devastating to the faith of those that worship the “god of accurate knowledge” . Where as bible Christian accepted Christ as the one and only savior and the Holy Spirit was to teach them to know God the Father and His Son.

However, for Jehovah’s Witnesses it is the end of their faith in “accurate knowledge” translated to mean the governing body.

This so called “accurate knowledge” set a standard for JW’s to teach all of mankind will be destroyed at the end of the world because they lack or don’t have this so called “accurate knowledge” processed by Jehovah’s Witnesses alone. This teaching is the moral equivalent of Hitler’s superior race.

In psychology 101 we learn of a study that was conducted with school children where one group of children wore a red ban on their arm and another group blue ban. They were told by some one in authority { in this case a school teacher] that the blue ban children where superior and that the reason they were given the blue ban. While the red ban children were inferior and that why they wore a red ban.

The out come made history and it showed how cruel people become when they believe they are superior to others due to knowledge allowing them to judge others harshly. There is no wonder why Jehovah’s Witnesses come under abject submission of the leadership of Jehovah’s Witnesses. To maintain a superior position over other groups they are force to defend and have an answer to every verse in the bible because their faith in eternal life depends on “accurate knowledge”. Where as early Christian lived by faith in Christ Jesus - fully understood God as love and had provided them away of coming into close personal association with the Father and the Son through the Holy Spirit. They did not worship at the altar of “accurate knowledge” which confounds Jehovah Witnesses as a lack of faith.

Thus, Christian of the bible concerned themselves with perfecting their faith in the living Word of God Christ Jesus which produced the fruits of God Spirit marked by love. The fruits of the Spirit proved they have come to “know” God and Christ intimately and accurately.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Excellent commentary all around, on all points, wordtoknow. Agree completely, and it is all so true. Sadly, the repetitive mind-manipulation tactics of WT, and the incessant teaching of scripture out of context, and their not dividing the Word of truth aright, makes JWs blind to grasping the simplicity that is in Christ.

You said:

"My contention is, they have elevated “accurate knowledge” to the place of Christ."

I say you contend correctly:

Gnosticism
    http://www.answers.com/topic/gnosticism
    Gnos·ti·cism (no?s'ti?-si?z'-m) n.

The doctrines of certain pre-Christian pagan, Jewish, and early Christian sects THAT VALUED THE REVEALED KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND of the ORIGIN and END of the human race AS A MEANS TO ATTAIN REDEMPTION for the spiritual element in humans and that distinguished the Demiurge from the unknowable Divine Being. [caps mine]
    [...]

...Gnosticism. They EMPHASIZED the TEACHINGS of Jesus, RATHER THAN HIS DEATH AND RESURRECTION, AS THE KEY TO SALVATION. [caps mine]

[...]
    Gnosticism (no?s'ti?si?z?m) , dualistic religious and philosophical movement of the late Hellenistic and early Christian eras. The term designates a wide assortment of sects, numerous by the 2d cent. A.D.; they all promised salvation through an occult [occult = hidden/ag] knowledge that THEY CLAIMED WAS REVEALED TO THEM ALONE. [caps mine]

[...]

etc. etc. etc.

--------------------------------

1 Corinthians 2:5: That your faith SHOULD NOT STAND IN THE WISDOM OF MEN, but in the power of God.

NWT version of the above: 1 Corinthians 2:1-5:

1 And so I, when I came to YOU, brothers, did not come with an extravagance of speech or of wisdom declaring the sacred secret of God to YOU. 2 For I decided not to know anything among YOU except Jesus Christ, and him impaled. 3 And I came to YOU in weakness and in fear and with much trembling; 4 and my speech and what I preached were not with persuasive words of wisdom but with a demonstration of spirit and power, 5 that YOUR faith might be, NOT IN MEN's WISDOM, but in God’s power.

---------------------------------------

1 Corinthians 15:1-4: Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; BY WHICH ALSO YE ARE SAVED, IF ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.

Romans 5:1,2: Therefore being JUSTIFIED BY FAITH (not "knowledge"), we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have ACCESS BY FAITH (not "knowledge") into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk BY FAITH, NOT BY sight (nor by any "special knowledge" from the WT-men)

etc.etc.

-----------------

Again, good job on the essay.
    /ag

• monophonic
    monophonic

fascinating, both of you. excellent points.

re: gnostic research, i'm interested in a gnostic for dummies type book (even though i hate those lame titles), but something that can give an overview so i can see if i'm interested in delving further, like into the books of enoch, etc.

any suggestions?

• R.F.
    R.F.

Excellent thread!

This further shows others that the GB wedges the divide between the R&F and Jesus Christ. The Bible says that all you need is faith in Christ, GB says you must obey their every word. A dangerous group the GB is.

Thanks for this thread.

R.F.

• abbagail
    abbagail

R.F.: I agree more and more as time goes by, that, as you say, the GB are not just wrong, but DANGEROUS. Indeed, most especially is because they are taking the JWs down the WRONG ROAD, the road of "seducing spirits" and "doctrines of devils," if you ask me.

monophonic: I'm no expert on Gnosticism, but that link I included had a HUGE FULL PAGE of defintions from probably 10 different encyclopedias. Go to that answer.com gnosticism link and that should give a pretty good overview.

As for book of Enoch, was that one of the apocryphal (sp?) books? I'm thinking more and more that those are not so bad afterall to at least read for historical "backup" purposes. I read earlier today elsewhere they were part of the KJV until around 1885. Seems it was the Puritans who insisted they be taken out.

Earlier tonight I was reading about the Rapture and its relation to the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashana) and one of the articles I ran across quoted from the Book of Esdras. Very interesting.

One of my fav prophecy teachers on TV, Perry Stone, makes use of the book of Jasher often enough.

etc. etc.

/ag

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles
    Because of this doctrine Jehovah’s Witnesses are not truly baptized into Christ nor are they any longer baptized under the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit , but rather they are under the legal organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

When you got baptized they use the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit so like all the other christain churches out their it is just a symbol with no substance. Other wise people who baptized others would have Holy Spirit to give you. I believe it was for a time when they performed miracles.

Did you know that during Rutherford's time he wrote a book called "Jehovah" and the last chapter if you were ready to get baptized you had to admit that United Nations was Satan organization?

Honestly can anyone say you know the person who baptized you and was he filled with holy spirit? Because I could not tell you who baptized me it was at one of those assemblies where everyone lined up. Is this right with the what the bible says! NO. The person who baptized had to have holy spirit.

As far as accurate knowledge, it makes them feel as if they know hidden secrets that has been given to them and no one else knows the secrets. Its bull! Kind of like Free Masons who gives the secrets to the person who is being hood winked! Well If I was fair about it most religions think they are the ones who is going to give knowledge at due season. Read some commentaries.

Got to make the in group think they know more! too bad the secrets are just foolish lies! .

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

I am really please that the post is getting attention. What brought the subject up was another post about JW's and Armageddon, that is, do they want people destroyed at Armageddon?

The whole subject of people being destroyed because they don't have perfect knowledge through the Org needs to be addressed. I feel it is shameful and sad to think if we have 90% accurate knowledge and another group has 75% and so on the people with 90% will make it but the rest won't?

Somehow, thats ok! It goes to show you how sick the human mine can get through control and false reasoning on the scriptures.

When the gift of grace/underserved kindness is so great for us sinners how could one want to judge such matters.

• R.F.
    R.F.
    The whole subject of people being destroyed because they don't have perfect knowledge through the Org needs to be addressed.

Indeed it does need addressing my friend.

As i've stated earlier, the Organization(Governing Body) in particular is a very dangerous group with unquestionable power over it's members. They really have placed themselves between Jesus and man. The problem is that the JW members will outright deny this when questioned. They will give the typical response of...."it's Jehovah's arrangement, by following it we are obeying Him." The GB are in fact self-appointed and the Bible, clear as crystal, states that the only way to God and salvation is through Jesus Christ.

*** w02 10/1 pp. 18-19 Cultivate Obedience as the End Draws Near ***

Blessed for Obeying God’s "Steward"

Jehovah has always provided teachers for his people. For example, after the Jews returned from Babylon, Ezra and a number of other qualified men did not just read God’s Law to the people, they "expounded" that law, ‘putting meaning into it and giving understanding’ of God’s Word.—Nehemiah 8:8.

In the first century, when the issue of circumcision arose in 49 C.E., the governing body of that early slave class prayerfully considered the matter and came to a Scriptural conclusion. When they announced their decision by letter, the congregations obeyed the direction given and enjoyed God’s rich blessing. (Acts 15:6-15, 22-29; 16:4, 5) Likewise in modern times, the faithful slave through its Governing Body has clarified such important issues as Christian neutrality, the sanctity of blood, and the use of drugs and tobacco. (Isaiah 2:4; Acts 21:25; 2 Corinthians 7:1) Jehovah blessed his people for their obedience to his Word and the faithful slave.

By submitting to the slave class, God’s people also show their subjection to the Master, Jesus Christ. Such subjection has taken on additional significance in modern times because of Jesus’ enlarged authority, as foretold in Jacob’s deathbed prophecy.

So basically with articles like these, a JW better not dare question the Governing Body!! You'd be questioning Jesus himself! This leaves the GB with virtually the power to command the Borg members to do whatever they desire, even if it has no Biblical backing, simply because the GB is "Jehovah's mouthpiece".

My hope is that many more open their eyes to the truth.

R.F.

• fresia
    fresia

This means everlasting life their taking in knowledge of YOU the only true God and the one whom YOU sent for Jesus Christ.

I think you are reading far to much into what you would want others to believe of JW's teachings. Accurate knowledge of who Jesus Christ is and God. Of course JW's have faith in Christ and his teachings, they also believe in the Holy Spirit and its direction.

I personally don't believe in the GB and feel that they have taken the place of Christ and 1Cor 4:8 aptly applies to them.

It is not a credulity and accurate knowledge is vital, as Jhn 17:3 says. It is faith in Christ's sacrifice but also we don't put blind faith in someone we don't know like a trinitarian god.

God is a spirit Jhn 4:24 and must be worshiped with spirit and truth, that means accurate knowledge, I for one don't worship knowledge, and I doubt if the majority of JW do as you say.

• carla
    carla

fresia, I think you are missing the point. jw's put accurate knowledge above knowing Christ, personally. For instance I can research and learn everything there is to know about a celebrity or other famous person, I know every detail and can even quote John Doe. Does that mean I 'know' him? jw's put faith below 'accurate knowledge'. How can they claim to 'know' Christ when they aren't even allowed to talk to Him?

I have had this discussion with my jw many, many times. I bring up scholars who can translate biblical languages, know the bible inside and out but have no faith to what they are reading. Does this make them 'worthy' by wt definition of having accurate knowledge? My jw will say nonchalantly, 'oh, yes faith too' and sidelines what faith means. In my opinion he has no clue whatsoever what faith is. The problem is the wt hammers home the point that a jw is to have faith in them above all else on a daily basis.

Besides if they really wanted so called accurate knowledge wouldn't you use the book they claim God supplied rather than their own man made interpretations? Be honest, do jw's read more of wt literature & books or do they mainly use the bible?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit