GOOD NEWS! Scientists to create human/animal embryos for research in the UK

by nicolaou 60 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Satanus
    Satanus

Very interesting. Right, a huge gulf. And, does it would it have a soul? I think the old catholic idea is that god gives a soul to each human. If the organism was allowed to grow, the talmudic wt would have to come down w a black or white ruling about whether it was animal or human.

S

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-I've read a couple of news articles now, but haven't found any technical explanation as to why they'd want to mix the human cell contents with an animal (cow, I think) egg 'shell' ?

What are the technical benefits to doing it this way? Why does this work better than using the human cells 100%? Easier to extract stem cells? But why/how?

• ness
    ness

hmm, i dunno...the Conservative is coming out in me with the topic. Im not comfortable with it at all.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

-I've read a couple of news articles now, but haven't found any technical explanation as to why they'd want to mix the human cell contents with an animal (cow, I think) egg 'shell' ?

What are the technical benefits to doing it this way? Why does this work better than using the human cells 100%? Easier to extract stem cells? But why/how?

Awakened, this is just the research, any treatments that were eventually applied to patients would indeed be developed through human eggs. So why use cows eggs for the research? Because they are easily available in large numbers (cow ovaries are normally disposed of by the abbatoirs). To do the research using human eggs would be very slow and very expensive. This new ruling should speed up the research and bring effective treatments to those who need them much sooner than would otherwise have been possible. ness, I ask this sincerely - would you be more comfortable allowing elderly citizens to degenerate with Alzheimers?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    Awakened, this is just the research, any treatments that were eventually applied to patients would indeed be developed through human eggs. So why use cows eggs for the research? Because they are easily available in large numbers (cow ovaries are normally disposed of by the abbatoirs). To do the research using human eggs would be very slow and very expensive.

Well, now that you lay it out, it's pretty obvious. * slaps self *

Not sure where I stand on this. Too much old programming left in my brain. I think I'll support it fully with time, though.

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

sorry, this is freaky and unnecessary. "You are bound to be like God"? No it's not old programming, b/c it wasn't ALL bad.

"A**holes didn't invent religion,

they just took God out of it." --a wise old sage

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

emy, these scientists are not trying "to be like God". If I believed in god at all I'd suggest they are trying to repair his mistakes and poor workmanship but of course there is no creator of the human species - not in the biblical sense.

And please, you aren't doing your fellow believers any favours by being the first to use a barely veiled insult in you reply.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Creating vaccinations and proceeding with artificial insemination is 'being like God' too, I suppose...

This is a good video for those with doubts about all this. Sam Harris at Beyond Belief- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLqji9M4w4

• parakeet
    parakeet

Although H.G. Wells would be horrified (if he were still alive), I see no immediate problem with human/animal embryo research. My family tree includes relatives with Parkinson's, cancer, and asthma. It would be great to have effective treatments for such diseases, instead of the stopgap measures available now.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

genetic engineering has been around for ages -look at wheat. I think this is great news

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit