GOOD NEWS! Scientists to create human/animal embryos for research in the UK

by nicolaou 60 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I know it's emotive and I know some will fundamentally disagree that this is good news at all but I believe it is.

From the BBC; Regulators have agreed in principle to allow human-animal embryos to be created and used for research. But scientists wanting to use hybrids will still need to make individual applications, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority said.

A consultation showed the public were "at ease" with the idea when told it could pave the way for therapies for conditions such as Alzheimer's disease. Opponents have said many people would be "horrified" by such a move.

Remember, these embryos are 99.9% human and 0.1% animal. They are only allowed to develop for a few days so that stem cells can develop and be harvested for research. This research is vital in finding effective treatment for diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

If there is a good moral argument to prevent scientists from doing this I'd like to hear it - sorry but religious arguments carry no weight for me.

Nic'

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The only thing I would worry about is disease jumping between species, but I don't know anything about the facts of the matter to know if that is even possible in this specific situation.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Excellent news! It will be interesting to see if those in power in the US will take the cures if they become available, or whether they'll stick to their 'religious morality' and refuse to be hypocrites. Time will tell.

• eclipse
    eclipse

I think it is a great idea.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Maybe there's hope for all of us yet. Science is doing some wonderful things lately.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Isn't there supposed to be a "huge gulf" between humankind and animals?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

another science fiction idea coming true - makes me think of that old story, I think it was the Island of Dr. Moreau? I think that is what upsets people - the idea that the human/animal embryos would be allowed to grow to maturity. And I betcha some scientist somewhere will do exactly that, if they haven't tried it already. I have no moral stand for or against, just creeped out because of a history of excessive science fiction addiction.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

another science fiction idea coming true - makes me think of that old story, I think it was the Island of Dr. Moreau? I think that is what upsets people - the idea that the human/animal embryos would be allowed to grow to maturity. And I betcha some scientist somewhere will do exactly that, if they haven't tried it already. I have no moral stand for or against, just creeped out because of a history of excessive science fiction addiction.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

ugh, furries are closer to being a reality.

• VM44
    VM44

There was an an old Doomwatch episode about human/animal hybrids.

The scientists in the story didn't seem to care about the ethics involved in such expriments.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit