I came to a realization just now, how about you?

by return visitor 35 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Before 1975 the JW's in my area had some big hog roasts and barbecues- hey, we were the only ones baby, that had it all right and we were going into the new order in just a few more months. They JW's had fun out in service- the goats were gonna get their reward for snubbing our message- yahoo- burn them up in Armageddon.

Post 1975, it all sucked and a malaise set in over the KH- it was all drudgery for that crowd now. I don't know what keeps the KH going, really it is just a bunch of stubborn geezers and their younger family members hanging on out of pride- too stubborn to admit defeat and come out of the jungle like the defeated Japanese soldiers of WW2. I suppose , if the GB at Bethel says it is all over- close the KH doors and go home- then they might do it.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I didn't like the door to door work. I dreaded the TMS talks, and I never liked commenting much either. It did have a sort of structure and certianty that I miss in an odd kind of way at times. Ignorance can indeed be bliss, but once you are no longer ignorant you can never go back.

• oompa
    oompa

Return Visitor, Gee thanks so much for breaking it down so and making me face every boring, torrid, miserable, aspect of my last 46 years! Real mind candy it is. I too did like most of the association. For years I was able to vacation, party, hit the beach (vollyball), get drunk with, and have a good ol time with some similar non-judgemental friends. UNTIL I saw the light and have been oh so "marked" by most of them, and none of then have awakened.

more depressed now....oompa

• Carmel
    Carmel

...wedding receptions with great food... carmel

• jgnat
    jgnat

From observation, I'd say hubby loves the trappings; the dressing up, the ties, the highlighters, the briefcases and folders.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Basically, it was all non-gratifying. If they found out that I did enjoy a particular person or family, they were quick to yank it away from me.

I did not enjoy any of the "privileges". Handling the mics? Too many rules, and none were based on reality (like having to point the damn things down when they were on poles, so they would hit the chairs and fall out). Prayer? I hated it: I wanted to have no one home, and no one interested; not having a long call with a recruit and baptism at each door. Talks? I wish I could have put apostate material into them. The field misery? Tiring. It takes too much out of you. Too many rules about every movement and dressing. Collar button done up in hot weather. Not being able to go in on time because of that "famous last call". And always being expected to do ever more. Going to meetings? I wished for a blizzard. The a$$emblies? All men--no chance to meet any of the sisters (not that any of them wanted me to). Magazine duty? I wanted them to not come in, except then the next meeting I would get double (but at least I would get rid of them in one batch).

Nor did I enjoy cleaning (having to stay later). I often got stuck cleaning the a$$embly Hell, and it sucked being among the last ones out of there. I never showed up for cleaning of the Kingdumb Hell. This is just a plain waste of time to do any maintenance or cleaning of these structures.

I didn't even enjoy reading the Bible! And when I did, I would read a bunch of scriptures in context, when they brought us to one scripture I would keep going past the assigned material (but I didn't like reading it in the context that they wanted it read in). The Puketower and Asleep? Those were often confusing, as they get into different classes, subclasses, agreements, deals, and different terms with no meaningful differences for the same group of people. Some were easy enough to follow but full of specious logic and outright lies (staying single--I am glad I blew that study off). And the Asleep? Very biased. The world is horrible and getting ever worse, and the scientists that are trying so desperately to solve man's problems are evil, wicked people for not letting Jehovah dawdle while man gets ever worse off.

I think I would rather have a root canal than go back to that horrible routine of meeting/service. At least the root canal only hurts once.

• watson
    watson

From observation, I'd say hubby loves the trappings; the dressing up, the ties, the highlighters, the briefcases and folders. Obviously, great Elder material!!

• fresia
    fresia
    Thats why the new KM says the Sunday talk will be only half-hour not 45 minutes to encourage more association after the meeting...most people will just piss off home early.

The same ol people will associate with the same ol people. The elderly fatherless boy, widows, the single lonely ones will all still be in the same boat, ignored. The truth has become a place for families only and even then it is a clique.

The truth is a very lonely place for most.

• return visitor
    return visitor

I almost forgot what I hated most of all. I hated, and I mean HATED when a visiting speaker from Bethel would have the last part on an assembly and he would always run the damn thing over 20 minutes to a half hour. AAAHHHH!!!

• dobbie
    dobbie

The only thing i really liked about it was walking out the door on my way home!

Tbh the few friends i did like enough to have as 'close' friends were quite high maintenance, esp one who basically was an emotional and physical wreck. I used to try and be there for her for a long time but in the end it just wore me down that it was a relief not to have to see them anymore. I know that probably sounds horrible but i find other peoples moods/upsets really affect me as well so i felt like i was carrying their problems as well as my own and i think you can only take it for so long. I do wish this friend in particular will leave one day though i doubt it because i am sure alot of her problems are jw related.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit