was there a 1975 "scare"

by Lotus65 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

One file is from the 10/8/1966 Awake (Special Issue) I cannot locate it in the WT CDROM. Would anyone know if this is in the actual bound volume?

• Ding
    Ding

Many JWs put off needed health care and gave up all their worldly goods in order to pioneer because they were so sure the end of this system was coming no later than 1975. Where did they get that idea?

Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3:

"Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    No wonder the Witnesses deny it happened. Many today just do not want to remember. Talk about having a selective memory

Another term could be "Collective Amnesia."

• Ding
    Ding

See the comments on the "Children of 1975" thread.

• funnyface
    funnyface

Well of course. I obeyed my C.O quit my job as a buyers assistant from The BAY!!!
    Went around telling all in family ,friends ,& doors the time left was very near.
    ,I was going to be living on a Paradise earth,
    After we helped clean it up after the Birds ate the flesh
    I wasnt going to age,
    I would be young & lovely.....Know what????????
    I am OLD & Ugly.83 +yrs old wrinkled living on an earth that is in real hardship.
    That is what you get for listening to bunch of old men at Brooklyn Bethel
    who dont have kids & probably want to rule the world.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I was baptized in 1967 and pioneered during the late 60's and early 70's, and I can attest that 1975 was just about all anyone talked about at the meetings or in private. When the "Truth" book was released, we were totally focused on starting Bible studies with "right hearted ones"...and if they didn't dedicate themselves to being a JW within six months of study, we dropped them like a hot potato to move on to others. There was an excitement in the congregation and at assemblies that was palpable. I got married in 1971, but was "counseled" a number of times that with the end being so near, I should not burden myself with the distraction of taking on a wife. Every activity was measured against 1975 to classify whether it was folly to pursue or good theocratic activity.

It was an exciting time to be a JW, but after 1975 came and went, large numbers of people disappeared from the congregation. It amazes me that the WTS actually blamed "zealous" borthers for reading too much into chronology. Talk about passing the buck!!

For JW's in 2010, I would say that the those that lived during the events leading up to 1975 are either dead or long gone from the organization. The movers at Bethel behind the 1975 push are dead. In another 20 years, all connection to the events of 1975 will just be a historical memory to be buried in the crypt of old JW apocalyptical dates.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i had resigned from the religion by 1973: amongst other reasons i totally rejected the 1975 hype.

late in 1974 an elder was despatched to try to get me back, to bolster the pressure from my ( then ) jw wife.

he was making some progress, when he totally blew it:

he told me he had bought a car on hire purchase because he would never have to make any payments after autumn 1975.

i understand this guy is now a circuit servant!

if your reading this, Mike,---hows the car?--paid it off yet?

• Mickey mouse
  • coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was pregnant in 1975. My beautiful daughter was born in March, 1976. She is 34 years old now. I never really fell for the 1975 stuff. I was about 16 when all the hype started. My dad who was a 2nd generation jw and a servant in the cong (before the elder arrangement) didn't fall for it either... always said that we don't serve God for a date... and that no man knows the day or the hour...

Coffee

• funnyface
    funnyface

Sounds like you had a smart Dad. Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit