was there a 1975 "scare"

by Lotus65 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Arthur
    Arthur

I think that the rank and file are going to need to be prodded with another date, or time period proclamation. Of course the WT won't make another bald prediction, but I think that without some kind of significant "prophetic" time period to look forward to, many in the r&f will continue to become restless and irritable with Jah's delaying.

Stay tuned for "new light" that identifies the King of the North.

• Sassy
    Sassy

of course there was a scare.. after all that was the year Armagedon was coming..

I never thought I would graduate from highschool..

• ferret
    ferret

Most definetly, I lived through it and I was scared along with all the others. Five years later I was gone.

• knock knock
    knock knock

I bemoaned the fact that even if 1976 should roll around, most assuredly SuperBowl X would be the last football game to ever be played. Talk about scare!!

Gee, how many years ago has it been now? Ah, yes...SuperBowl 42 is next I believe. Now THAT's SCARY!!!!

• changeling
    changeling

I was a little girl when the book "Life Everlasting Liberty for the Sons of God" was released. I distinctly remember one night, studing it at the book study when they covered the part about 1975 marking the end of 6,000 years of human existance. A hush fell over the room and you could "feel" the sense of awe and expectation.

Not a lot was said about it in my family but there was an increased flurry of activity. Moving "where the need was greater", yanking me out of school and homeschooling me while my mother pioneered and dragged me along... Al this between the years of 67 - 75. Coincidence?

changeling

• cabasilas
  • cabasilas
    cabasilas

Leolaia,

Youe 75 collage is priceless! Thanks!!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Yup. Heightened Alert in '75.

My cong at the time was not too far from Bethel. We had Bethel speakers and many Bethel contacts amongst our servants. There was a countdown from the platform for how many more months until Oct '75.

We put on a play depicting how bad the persecution may get in the last few months of 'this system of things'. In the play it was stressed how the meetings are and will be critical to our survival.

Some friends of mine were killed in Feb '75 on the way to a special assembly event. At the funeral we all made reassuring comments that we would see them in just a few short months. Well before the year ended.

Sadly, they have been dead for more than 30 years now and I never properly grieved their untimely deaths. There was no need to grieve. They would be back in a few months.

They society never really expressly said 'Armegeddon will arrive on October 14, 1975, but they sure made strong implications and roused up cheers for all who jumped on the circus train.

-Aude.

• Dino
    Dino

Leolaia, thanks very much for the work that went into your illustrative posting!!!!!!

Mr GaryBuss, and I say Mister because I bow and grovel at your feet. You are THE wordmeister sir.

My very controlling mother encouraged me to drop out of high school in order to pioneer in the last remaining months of this old creaky system of things. I did so gladly and why not? It was a get out of jail card as I didnt really fit in with the school crowd anyway as a JW.

I was so glad to have initially escaped the clutches of this old world, but then cold hard reality began to set in on me that without even a high school diploma on my CV, where could I go for meaningful, satisfying and significantly remunerative employment?

I stumbled onto a trade and dove in and excelled at it. In no time at all, I was promoted to production management, where somehow I began to realize that I had this ability to inspire the men and women under my charge. All the while the work load was eroding my time spent in the "ministry and reaching out for additional privileges". As I struggled with this conundrum, I made a very foolish decision to quit a very lucrative managerial position to go back to a production job. The elders told me that I would never be able to even be a ministerial servant as long as I held my great job because as one of the elder window washer types put it, "I loved my job over Jehovah". I was absolutely miserable in my decision to go back to a production role with all of my experience.

I dont like talking alot about myself as I really dont think it is very interesting to most people with their busy lives, so I will fast forward many years. Having been one a JW for SO many years one thing that I carried away was an ability to sell and market! I convinced my boss that I would be better for the company in sales than production and the rest as they say, is history! I have since left that religion and the company has grown exponentially. I am recruited by major corporations across the country now and all that I can say is THANK YOU WATCHTOWER for teaching me how to sell! You will never go hungry if you can sell and if you can teach others this same skill, you will be an even greater asset.

I so hope that this post doesnt sound self congratulatory (I almost dislocated my arm patting myself on the back!), There are gaping holes in my "autobiography". This is as close as anyone will get to my life story. It's too boring! In conclusion, may you go to hell Watchtower! Damn, that feels good to say that now. You didnt take my life away as much as you tried to make me your snake oil salesman after all. But I do wish to thank you for giving me a marketable skill whilst trying to use it for your own wicked ends.

Dino

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks! :)

I got the idea from the similar collage that William E. Van Amburgh made for himself with all his claims about what was going to happen in 1925. Pretty good stuff there. I tried to get in some rare clippings too, such as newspaper articles, interesting that Teddy Jaracz himself delivered the "Who Is Going to Conquer the World in the 1970's" talk....this shows that 1975 is not quite so ancient history. Not sure how much each individual speaker put their own spin on the talk, but I especially love the "this is a decade of destiny" part...

BTW, I just realized that this is my fifth year anniversary on JWD. Not a bad thing to do on my anniversary. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit