was there a 1975 "scare"

by Lotus65 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    I would love to hear someone give us a narrative experience of their day, if they can remember it, of December 31, 1974. I can't imagine believing with such certainty that the world is about to end and you know when and how it will end. Does anyone remember? How about January 1, 1976?

John, I was there. It was not like other times when people dressed in white robes and wnet up on a hill at the appointed time.

Actually the last year or so prior to the end of 75, the society just stopped talking about it. They never said another word about it until about 77, and then they made a statement in the WT that "some" people, because of their love and zeal for Jah, probably said a little more then they should have.

Yep that's right, they hyped it up, then they stopped talking about it, and then they put the blame on "some" people.

I remember assemblies pre-75, every one was bigger then the last, there were hordes of new recruits coming in. The 75 debicle was no doubt a huge money maker for the org.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

And then, as it became clear that there wasn't enough time for everything to happen by the fall of 1975, the Society held to the 6,000 year "rest day," but said it did not synchronize exactly with the 6,000 years of mankind's existence. The 6,000 years of mankind's existence started with Adam's creation but the 6,000 years of God's rest day began right after Eve's creation. So, then, there was an interval of time between the two. The May 1, 1975 Watchtower, p. 285, explained:

Another speaker, F. W. Franz, the Society’s vice-president, forcefully impressed on the audience the urgency of the Christian preaching work. He stressed that, according to dependable Bible chronology, 6,000 years of human history will end this coming September according to the lunar calendar. This coincides with a time when "the human species [is] about to starve itself to death," as well as its being faced with poisoning by pollution and destruction by nuclear weapons. Franz added: "There’s no basis for believing that mankind, faced with what it now faces, can exist for the seventh thousand-year period" under the present system of things.

Does this mean that we know exactly when God will destroy this old system and establish a new one? Franz showed that we do not, for we do not know how short was the time interval between Adam’s creation and the creation of Eve, at which point God’s rest day of seven thousand years began. (Heb. 4:3, 4) But, he pointed out, "we should not think that this year of 1975 is of no significance to us," for the Bible proves that Jehovah is "the greatest chronologist" and "we have the anchor date, 1914, marking the end of the Gentile Times." So, he continued, "we are filled with anticipation for the near future, for our generation."—Matt. 24:34.

I remember hearing about this interval of time between Adam and Eve's creation given as an explanation why the Great Tribulation had not started yet as late as 1979 at a circuit assembly in a lecture by our District Overseer. I imagine that whole concept has been shelved as Adam would have been alone in the garden now for 32 years.

Is the 6,000 rest day even taught nowadays? I haven't seen any references in the literature about it for awhile.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

"I remember hearing about this interval of time between Adam and Eve's creation given as an explanation why the Great Tribulation had not started yet as late as 1979 at a circuit assembly in a lecture by our District Overseer. I imagine the whole thing has been shelved by now as Adam would have been in the garden alone now for 32 years." --cabasilas My grampa still uses this as an excuse for the disappointment of 1975.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think most all have read of my story about my meeting with the elder who told me the Society didn't know when Eve was created and that was the reason for the delayed start of Armageddon. I showed the elder the books from the Society's own library that printed that Adam and Eve were created the same year. For any new readers who missed it, Here it is again. For those who have seen it before I apologize.

ADAM AND EVE CREATED SAME YEAR

INSIGHT BOOK #1 p. 772 Eve
    When Adam was 130 years old, Eve gave birth to a son whom she called Seth, saying: "God has appointed another seed in place of Abel, because Cain killed him." She could properly express herself as she did at the births of both Cain and Seth, since God had given her and Adam their reproductive powers, and because of God's unmerited kindness in not putting her to death immediately when she transgressed His command, she had been able to give birth. With the birth of Seth the Genesis record concerning Eve comes to a close. Ge 4:25; 5:3, 4.

INSIGHT BOOK #2 p. 899 Seth
    Seth: The son of Adam and Eve born when Adam was 130 years old.

So we read that Adam was "a hundred and thirty years" of age when he became father to Seth. (Aid To Bible Understanding, TWB&TS p. 277)

EVE: BIRTHS OF CHILDREN
    At the birth of her first son Cain, outside paradise, Eve exclaimed : "I have acquired a man with the aid of Jehovah ." (Gen .4 :1) Interestingly, Eve is the first one reported using God's name, indicating that the name Jehovah was known to the very first humans. Later she gave birth to Abel as well at to other sons and daughters. At the age of 130 another son was born to her. Eve called his name Seth, saying : "God has appointed another seed in place of Abel, because Cain killed him . (Aid To Bible Understanding, WTB&TS p.538)

*** Awake! October 8 1968 pp. 14-15 ***
    [Note: not available on 1993/1995/1999 CD-ROM]
    6,000 Years Nearing Completion... The fact that fifty-four years of the period called the 'last days' have already gone by is highly significant. It means that only a few years, at most, remain before the corrupt system of things dominating the earth is destroyed by God. Today, many years later, we may ask, What does the phrase 'the immediate future' mean? How many years are 'a few years at most'? .. According to reliable Bible chronology, Adam and Eve were created in 4026 B.C.E..

• Gill
    Gill

I remember thinking in July 1975 that I would probably not have to go back to school in Seprember as Armageddon would have begun.

My dad kept the car stocked up, 'ready to run for the hills'!!!!

My aunty and uncle were worried sick as their car was temperamental and didn't always start, go very far..etc.

The whole congregation was excited and a few started to talk it down. They suggested that perhaps WE were being presumptious and that maybe the world would not end. And so my mum and dad bought me boys shoes for school instead of girls as I would need something a lot sturdier incase we were in them there hills!!

Did I mention my parents are still deluded JWs and still have their car boot stocked up ready for Armageddon and ready to flee to them there hills?!

Oh dear, oh dear!

Sadly, my aunt and uncle are dead now but I believe my cousins still have their car boots stocked up ready to run for the hills!

Thin is, there aren't that many hills where they live!

The WTBTS has a lot of lunatic behaviour to answer for!

• d
    d

That is Crazy.I saw on youtube people experiences about the Jehovah Witness and the 1975 fiasco.No wonder the Witness deny it happend.Many today just do not want to remeber. Talk about having a selective memory

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly
    I was there. It is true. I think it came out first at an assembly in 1967. Then the date was published in a publication called Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God or something like that - a book with a red cover. Then in about 1968 the Watchtower published a study article entitled, "Are You Looking Forward to 1975?" Then in 1969, there was a special issue of the Awake! magazine called Is It Later than You Think? The Truth book came out about that time because time was of the essence and we were to have Bible studies for six months and force the householder to decide whether they wanted to be a JW and move on to others if they did not. After all, the time was short.

That is VERY interesting! I was always told it was never in print but from the platform it was "implied". I was too young in 1975 to even know what they all were talking about.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Is this the article that was being referred to?

*** w68 8/15 pp. 494-495 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***

Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?

WHAT about all this talk concerning the year 1975? Lively discussions, some based on speculation, have burst into flame during recent months among serious students of the Bible. Their interest has been kindled by the belief that 1975 will mark the end of 6,000 years of human history since Adam’s creation. The nearness of such an important date indeed fires the imagination and presents unlimited possibilities for discussion.

2 But wait! How do we know their calculations are correct? What basis is there for saying Adam was created nearly 5,993 years ago? Does the one Book that can be implicitly trusted for its truthful historical accuracy, namely, the Inspired Word of Jehovah, the Holy Bible, give support and credence to such a conclusion?

3 In the marginal references of the Protestant Authorized or King James Version, and in the footnotes of certain editions of the Catholic Douay version, the date of man’s creation is said to be 4004 B.C.E. This marginal date, however, is no part of the inspired text of the Holy Scriptures, since it was first suggested more than fifteen centuries after the last Bible writer died, and was not added to any edition of the Bible until 1701 C.E. It is an insertion based upon the conclusions of an Irish prelate, the Anglican Archbishop James Ussher (1581-1656). Ussher’s chronology was only one of the many sincere efforts made during the past centuries to determine the time of Adam’s creation. A hundred years ago when a count was taken, no less than 140 different timetables had been published by serious scholars. In such chronologies the calculations as to when Adam was created vary all the way from 3616 B.C.E. to 6174 B.C.E., with one wild guess set at 20,000 B.C.E. Such conflicting answers contained in the voluminous libraries around the world certainly tend to compound the confusion when seeking an answer to the above questions.

4 In the previous article we learned from the Inspired Writings themselves, independent of the uninspired marginal notes of some Bibles, that the seventy years of desolation of the land of Judah began to count about October 1, 607 B.C.E. The beginning of this seventy-year period was obviously tied to its ending, that is, with the fall of Babylon in 539 B.C.E. So with 607 B.C.E. as dependably fixed on our Gregorian calendar as the absolute date of 539 B.C.E. we are prepared to move farther back in the count of time, to the dating of other important events in Bible history. For instance, the years when Saul, David and Solomon reigned successively over God’s chosen people can now be dated in terms of the present-day calendar.

5 At the death of Solomon his kingdom was split into two parts. The southern two-tribe part, composed of Judah and Benjamin, continued to be ruled by Solomon’s descendants, and was known as the kingdom of Judah. The northern ten tribes made up the kingdom of Israel, sometimes called “Samaria” after the name of its later capital city, and were ruled over by Jeroboam and his successors. By our applying the prophetic time period of 390 years found in Ezekiel 4:1-9 with regard to Jerusalem’s destruction the death of Solomon is found to be in the year 997 B.C.E. This was 390 years before the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E.

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

According to my husband his parents stocked up their house full of food even having some sort of gel in which to preserve eggs! He said it took them years to finally get through all the food they had stocked up on.

His mother put off having back surgery until this year when she actually said that she may not now be alive when Armageddon happens - she is now 82 and finally out of pain from her back after finally having the surgery.

Also, when we visited her in hospital recently she even said that the JWs have ruined thousands of people's lives! However, now she is back home she has returned to going to the meetings.

LI

• CuriousButterfly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit